Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by win
    Yes, we absolutely do not condone anyone skiing or riding our trails when they are not open. There is too much liability attached were we to do so. This was a sanctioned picture that I allowed. John and Meredith and photographer, Sandy, went through a special two week preparation program knowing that the dusting of snow was coming. (that is an exageration, but we had trained and competent professionals doing this shoot) We absolutely do post guards in the parking lot at times, and we must prevent those we see from marching through that highly visible area to ski or ride on the mountains before the mountain is open officially. That is also part of our USFS agreement.

In less than two weeks we will be making snow and not long after that we will have groomers and other machinery on the slopes, and these present other hazards. You do not want to be on a trail when it is being winched. If a cable snaps, it is a WOMD! This is when we get really tough for your own well being!

Unfortunately, I have heard from some that people manage to evade our guards. If they do, they should know that skiing or riding before we open officially presents many hazards that could be life threatening and have been in the past. Water bars can be treacherous with thin cover and when not marked appropriately. tree limbs, rocks and other hazards may not be visible. Patrol is not in place, and if one is injured, it could be hours before proper medical attention is received.

We all get stoked to get on the Mountain with first snow. Be careful! It is a long season!
    Well you asked for it and you got it! I thought we covered this already! Some people just don't get it........
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Win thanks for your response but if we can't hike and make some preseason turns then you shouldn't be allowing employees the opportunity. It used to be something to look forward to each year...hiking around late october...such a thrill....then last year getting yelled at on the way up... that sucked. And to allow tempting pics on this site.... that's just weak. I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by bullwheel12
    Win thanks for your response but if we can't hike and make some preseason turns then you shouldn't be allowing employees the opportunity. It used to be something to look forward to each year...hiking around late october...such a thrill....then last year getting yelled at on the way up... that sucked. And to allow tempting pics on this site.... that's just weak. I don't get it.
    Like I said.......
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

I thought you would be in slidebrook earning your turns. Cleared, wide open trails are for the weak.

Come to think of it.....

Quote Originally Posted by gone.skiing
    I thought you would be in slidebrook earning your turns. Cleared, wide open trails are for the weak.
    ....I think a Bullwheel vs. Barkbiter pay-per-view "Sugar-Smackdown '08" might be in order. Could probably generate enough revenue for the resort to buy a shiny new Bell copter and start the first Heliski operation in VT. Great idea, I know. I'm an idea guy....

In the meantime I'm going to reduce my caffein and Sugar Pops consumption by 43%....

bullwheel- I think your are taking the hiking comments too seriously. I was just making a joke about it earlier, didn't mean to bring up the debate again.

Let's be serious

All: skiing is a dangerous sport with real risks. Those dangers can increase based on conditions or the degree of slope difficulty/stability and they can also decrease. When you ski, you accept all the risks and joys that the sport brings, but it is clearly the choice of the skier, whether that be at a ski area or in the backcountry . Some choose to ski early terrain at ski areas. This has some hazards, like exposed rocks/obstacles, water bars, possibly some snow making hoses and some general wetness than can cause skis to stick etc. Others choose to ski early backcountry terrain which can have similar hazards on the east coast, and an increase in avalanche danger in areas that slide due to poor bonding of a limited snow pack to the bare ground. In terms of early season skiing, ski areas pose lower overall "real" danger and hence they are often the "area" of choice for early season skiers who cannot wait until the area is open. When discussing the danger of early season skiing we should be clear that in reality skiing the ski area is typically of lower danger than pushing into the backcountry and hence the reason that early season skiers "hike the hill" for those first first turns. Enjoy those early season turns whether you choose to wait for the lift or let your "feet do the walking" at the ski area or beyond.

Re: Cornell ?

Quote Originally Posted by random_ski_guy
    Quote Originally Posted by smootharc
    Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Quote Originally Posted by noski
    Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Gahhh... I miss Vermont so much!
    Where did you go?
    Ithaca, NY (Cornell)... a spectacular place to be sure....
    Just imagine how all those Gorges ski after 10' of lake effect snow. Ooops....wrong lake.

My visits to Ithaca were relegated to athletic events (opposing team), and impressively turbo-barfing in the student union while visiting a friend during a summer creative writing term (You probably weren't even born then, ya pup). One minute I'm playing pool, the next minute I'm....well, use your imagination as the sea of humanity nearby parted....FAST !! Um, that night, we definitely got.....creative !

Today's trivia question: What ski industry mogul went to college in Ithaca ? Who and which school ? It's an easy one....

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread....
    Easy indeed; none other then Les Otten attended Ithaca.

What is he up to these days?..... A leveraged buyout of Intrawest!?!

Many fond memories of skiing Greak Peak especially since it was a required course. and the Gorges are insanely cool in the winter.
    I love Ithaca, but it doesn't get as much snow as the surrounding area, I believe because of the depth and temperature of Cayuga lake. My four winters there ('85-'89) were disappointing in the snow dept.

Funny coincidence-My father-in-laws only visit to Cornell ended in barfing after his lacrosse team was given milk to drink during the game. I've heard that story about a million times.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2
    Funny coincidence-My father-in-laws only visit to Cornell ended in barfing after his lacrosse team was given milk to drink during the game. I've heard that story about a million times.
    Probably milk from Cornell cows milked by Cornell lax players. The whole Cornell team, ALL of 'em (gross overstatement), got in the Cornell door through the Agriculture School. And I'm assuming they all learned how to milk cows. Perhaps there was something more in the milk than...milk !?!

Probably milk from Cornell cows milked by Cornell lax players. The whole Cornell team, ALL of 'em (gross overstatement), got in the Cornell door through the Agriculture School. And I'm assuming they all learned how to milk cows. Perhaps there was something more in the milk than...milk !?!
    You got it.

sounds like bullwheel needs some cheese to go with thw whining!

coming from Cayuga's waters
    there's an awful smell
    some say its Cayuga's waters
    some say it's Cornell

I think someone from Harvard sang me that one or was it Ithaca College..hmmm

www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.