Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Nudie boards....

From the Times argus today...

Pretty funny, so has sugarbush really been flooded with calls?

"The controversy sparked over Burton's new line of "Love" snowboards has reached a boiling point as outraged parents have flooded company and ski resort phone lines. Many callers are admonishing the images of partially nude Playboy models from the 1970s on the boards.

Hollie Kretzer of Rutland said she wouldn't let her kids have one of the rides after getting one glance of brunette model Love's partially clad chest and legs on a snowboard base.

"No way," Kretzer said. "It's inappropriate for children, and I think they (Burton) are adding to a culture of violence and disrespect.

"The consumer has to send a message to the company that that's not what we want for our kids," she said. "It makes a parent's job that much more difficult."

According to Burton representative Mia Troy-Vowell, the 1,000 Burton Playboy limited edition boards, which cost more than $400 each, were created at the request of two of Burton's professional snowboarders, Mikkel Bang and Keegan Valaika, and were founded on "principles of individual freedom."

The collaboration between the winter gear company and Playboy "has resulted in boards that reflect this attitude. The imagery on the boards is tastefully done, and we believe that they will be collector's items. The snowboards will be fully wrapped with an 18+ age disclaimer to purchase," according to an e-mail sent by Troy-Vowell.

At Darkside Snowboards in Killington, a photo of brunette model "Love" is featured on the base of one of the boards, posing in a sexually suggestive position, her tiny white shirt hanging off her shoulder.

On the board's top deck is a shot of the model's naked buttocks.

Darkside is selling the boards with the age-appropriate disclaimer and displaying them wrapped in black covers, according to shop owner Bill Langlands.

Other area Burton retailers have decided not to carry them.

Ski resorts are on their own, left to decide if the boards are appropriate for use on their slopes.

Killington is not prohibiting use of the board, but is asking visitors to "exercise proper judgment," said communications manager Tom Horrocks.

Brandon Stevens, marketing and sales manager for Ascutney Mountain, said he expects he will have to "police" the issue.

"I'm sure we will have to address it because of the children that come to our mountain," Stevens said.

Although the mountain doesn't have a dress code or gear policy, the resort will handle all complaints on a case-by-case basis, he said.

The Vermont Ski Areas Association is not taking a position on the boards.

Although the association acknowledged the "personal" concern it has received from parents, "no unified decisions and comments" have been made, said Jen Butson, the association's director of public affairs.

According to Karen Tronsgard-Scott, director of the 16-member advocacy group Vermont Network Against Domestic and Sexual Violence, the public display of the images and the descriptions on the board warrant public concern.

"Unlike Playboy magazine, which are more private, the boards are within the public domain," Tronsgard-Scott said.

"The images on the boards are from the 1970s and the descriptions below the boards are very sexual," she said. "It's as if the boards are talking in a seductive manner, and the concern I have is the direct link between the objectification of women and girls and violence against them."

Tronsgard-Scott has asked Burton to meet with her, but the company did not return calls, she said.

She said she wants to have a dialogue with Burton, a company she said had a "record of creating opportunities within their company for women and girls."

But Yale Cousino of Lincoln, a Burton-sponsored snowboarder, said he wouldn't mind having one.

Cousino said the boards were designed by 17- and 18-year-old kids with a love for getting back to the rebellious skateboarding roots that snowboarding grew out of.

"It's not complete nudity and it's nothing you wouldn't see every single day on everyday TV," Cousino said.

Joe Davis, 37, of West Rutland, said he wouldn't mind owning one either.

"I think it's pretty cool," Davis said.

"Parents should be more worried about other things, like a person getting killed and the person who did it getting nothing more than a misdemeanor.""

Funny how the media has been handling this. WCAX ran a story on it two weeks ago or so...VPR last week as did Rut Herald...and now the Argus.

Quote Originally Posted by summitchallenger
    Funny how the media has been handling this. WCAX ran a story on it two weeks ago or so...VPR last week as did Rut Herald...and now the Argus.
    It's probably the persistant calls. . . . . from Burton.

If these boards are inappropriate for resort use/viewing, ban 'em: That way everyone get's what they want: Burton gets to perpetuate the niche it manufactures, the outlaw streetcred seeking counter-culture. Boarders that feel inclined to rail, get to rail against the Man for being oppressive. The Man get's to opress a misunderstood culture. Burton gets free pub and $400,000.

I saw a few of these boards at Darkside Snowboards in Stowe that were not on display wrapped in black covers.

Win heard you...from Win's Word:

On a separate note, I was surprised to learn about Burton's new "Love Board." Personally, I am surprised that Burton would come out with a board like this in this day and age. Our country values freedom of speech, and I would never endorse censorship. However, as a father of two daughters (and even one granddaughter), I personally find the board and the language contained in its advertising demeaning to women and not the message we want to impress on our children. I would have expected better judgment from a company of Burton's stature. We can't ban use of the Love Board here, but we can make sure our employees are not riding them, and our retail areas are not selling them.

Last I checked, public nudity was legal in VT Right?

Those boards aren't that bad. I think that in this internet age kids can and do look at all the nidity they want regardless of what parents say simply because they are told not to. There is nothing new with rebellious kids and they are everywhere. I know, I know...."not my kids"!

If you compare the graphics with what kids see on MTV and other generaly approved viewing outlets, what is the difference?

I just don't think its worth the amount of publicity it's getting....

Wait I have an idea. Ban snowboards all together. That'ill fix it!
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Maybe, Burton and Ben & Jerry's can come up with a winter flavor and board combo, "Thanks for the Mammaries" or "Ride the Tetons".

No.

For a company that wants to get all resorts to accept snowboarders they have a funny way of achieving this. I do know of one resort, Mt Ascutney, who has said they will not allow them. Kmart says they will act if they get complaints.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    No.

For a company that wants to get all resorts to accept snowboarders they have a funny way of achieving this. I do know of one resort, Mt Ascutney, who has said they will not allow them. Kmart says they will act if they get complaints.
    Really? Ascutney seems to suggest that they will "police" the issue:

Brandon Stevens, marketing and sales manager for Ascutney Mountain, said he expects he will have to "police" the issue.

I'm sorry

This isn't a "nudity" issue. It is erotic imagery. If they need to be wrapped in black in the ski store, they have no place in liftlines.

I'm a big personal responsibility and personal freedom guy, UNTIL it interferes with the rights of others. I don't want my 6 year old girl or my 10 and 12 year old boys to be exposed to sexual images while skiing, period.

I think that Win's comment that he can't ban the boards at Sugarbush is not correct. He sure can, and I believe that he probably will have to revisit the thought if the family pass holders (like me) come complaining.

Re: I'm sorry

Quote Originally Posted by castlerock
    This isn't a "nudity" issue. It is erotic imagery. If they need to be wrapped in black in the ski store, they have no place in liftlines.

I'm a big personal responsibility and personal freedom guy, UNTIL it interferes with the rights of others. I don't want my 6 year old girl or my 10 and 12 year old boys to be exposed to sexual images while skiing, period.

I think that Win's comment that he can't ban the boards at Sugarbush is not correct. He sure can, and I believe that he probably will have to revisit the thought if the family pass holders (like me) come complaining.
    +1

This has nothing to do with free speech or "a misunderstood culture". It has everything to do with a large corporation whipping up a faux controversy so they can appear to be more "core". Like their poaching campaign last year, it's pathetic and cynical.

Oh my....

with all that's going on in the U.S. today, is this subject worth so much attention? I'm sure the controversy (such as it is) won't hurt sales. On the other hand I'm all for a massive board burning.

MRG won't have to worry about this issue....

I for one like seeing nude chicks in the lift line, as long as they are of playboy quality.

Quote Originally Posted by walks
    I for one like seeing nude chicks in the lift line, as long as they are of playboy quality.
    On a powder day?