Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Montpelier, Vt....Steamboat CO for next two years

Re: Great Idea!!

I do indeed attend CMC (Leadville). I graduate in May. I'll be doing my internship at Mt. Ellen grooming (Nov through end of Mar).[/quote

Small world, I graduated from the steamboat campus with a ski bus degree. They've got a cool program there...I am sure Leadville is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SKItheBOAT
    Small world, I graduated from the steamboat campus with a ski bus degree. They've got a cool program there...I am sure Leadville is the same.
    It definitely is a small world! Leadville is fun as well, just not quite close enough to real skiing. But the program is fantastic, very comprehensive in its focus on mountain operations.

Montpelier, Vt....Steamboat CO for next two years

[quote="BushMogulMaster"]

It definitely is a small world! Leadville is fun as well, just not quite close enough to real skiing. But the program is fantastic, very comprehensive in its focus on mountain operations.
    Good to hear. Mabye I'll see ya round the mountain this winter

Good to hear. Mabye I'll see ya round the mountain this winter
    Certainly. I'll be skiing Mt. Ellen almost every day this season. Send me a PM anytime you want to take a run. Or just look for the guy in the bumps in a mogulskiing.net coat!

BMM - great site you've got on bump skiing. I thoroughly enjoyed your technique section, and have printed it out for my orthopedic surgeon, who has advised me that after 30 years of bump skiing I should give it a rest.

two more weeks on crutches, back on Rumble by January.

Hey BMM, I checked out your site. Lots of cool stuff.

One thing.... You call yourself on that site the "Bush's number one zipper-liner". Pretty tall claim don't you think?
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    Hey BMM, I checked out your site. Lots of cool stuff.

One thing.... You call yourself on that site the "Bush's number one zipper-liner". Pretty tall claim don't you think?
    Nope... I call myself "the Bush's resident zipper-liner," not the number one! Babic is the Bush's number one zipperliner, followed by two or three other guys on the hill. I'm getting there, but I've still got a lot to learn.

You still have a lot to learn???? Then instead of BMM maybe we should call you BPL.......Bush Padawan Learner...

Actually I think your chewin gum........Ah, Bubba
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    You still have a lot to learn???? Then instead of BMM maybe we should call you BPL.......Bush Padawan Learner...

Actually I think your chewin gum........Ah, Bubba
    Hmm, if we're going with the Star Wars system, I'd have to say I qualify as a Jedi Mogul Master, but I'm not a member of the council yet

David Babic would be a council member, whereas veterans like Chuck Martin might even qualify as a Jedi Mogul Grand Master (Yoda-like).

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay
    I survived them all, though I was quite beat at the bottom. In early March, some friends dragged me up to Castlerock, and Middle Earth was conquered. Then in April, I met up with a few people from work, and by the end of the day, I had checked off the Mall, Ripcord, Paradise , Spillsville (all mogul runs) from my list. To date, I have not yet tried Lift Line, Rumble, or Stein's, but after the 4 bumpers I listed above in one day, I couldn't take any more...
    I'm glad you're enjoying the bumps! One big pet peeve I have though is when people say they've conquered something. Sorry, it just really bothers me for some reason. I've skied every single run on Lincoln and Mellon and just about every inch in between countless times and yet, my hardest fall last year was on Sunrise just before the Castlerock Connection. I just like to respect the mountain, no matter where I am on it. If ma nature decides she's going to smack you down, she will, be it on a mountain, river, ocean, green circle or double black EX. So treat her with respect!

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now.

I referred to conquering more of a "survival" rather than a "mastering". I used to look at runs like Organgrinder, Ripcord, Spills, etc and say to myself "that'll be the day". I still feel that way when I look down FIS or Black Diamond. And I understand that doing a run with soft spring bumps or groomed is not the same as doing those runs in mid winter conditions of powder/packed powder, whatever. On that warm day in April, I needed that boost to get me down so I could #1 - progress to the next level, and #2 - be more comfortable to do those runs in mid winter.

I never said I was an expert on any run, especially the diamond bump runs. But every year I feel I'm getting better and better.

I survived them all, though I was quite beat at the bottom. In early March, some friends dragged me up to Castlerock, and Middle Earth was conquered. Then in April, I met up with a few people from work, and by the end of the day, I had checked off the Mall, Ripcord, Paradise , Spillsville (all mogul runs) from my list. To date, I have not yet tried Lift Line, Rumble, or Stein's, but after the 4 bumpers I listed above in one day, I couldn't take any more...
    I'm glad you're enjoying the bumps! One big pet peeve I have though is when people say they've conquered something. Sorry, it just really bothers me for some reason. I've skied every single run on Lincoln and Mellon and just about every inch in between countless times and yet, my hardest fall last year was on Sunrise just before the Castlerock Connection. I just like to respect the mountain, no matter where I am on it. If ma nature decides she's going to smack you down, she will, be it on a mountain, river, ocean, green circle or double black EX. So treat her with respect!

I referred to conquering more of a "survival" rather than a "mastering". I used to look at runs like Organgrinder, Ripcord, Spills, etc and say to myself "that'll be the day". I still feel that way when I look down FIS or Black Diamond. And I understand that doing a run with soft spring bumps or groomed is not the same as doing those runs in mid winter conditions of powder/packed powder, whatever. On that warm day in April, I needed that boost to get me down so I could #1 - progress to the next level, and #2 - be more comfortable to do those runs in mid winter.

I never said I was an expert on any run, especially the diamond bump runs. But every year I feel I'm getting better and better.
    Don't sweat it, shady. We all have our mental checklists. Conquering a run that you thought you never would ski is what keeps you coming back. I say good on ya!

Always carry first aid, food and water before trying Castlerock Connection, never know how long you might be out there.

Quote Originally Posted by gone.skiing

Always carry first aid, food and water before trying Castlerock Connection, never know how long you might be out there.
    Absolutely, I never enter the CC without a bivy and atleast three days supply of food and water.

Quote Originally Posted by gone.skiing

Absolutely, I never enter the CC without a bivy and atleast three days supply of food and water.
    LOL- I like to take a food break at the bridge after I come out of the woods there.

Well, finally made it to Mt Ellen today, and remembered this thread/topic from "a while back".

From what I've deduced, Watson, is that several runs at Mt Ellen which were groomed are being left to "bump up", perhaps this is the "concentration on bumps" mentioned in the beginning of the season. Last year, we saw a lot of grooming on The Cliffs and Lookin' Good, with a terrain park on Which Way. After today's [very cold] visit, these trails were all bumped. I check the trail reports daily (because we always get asked "what's groomed" in the liftline), and I don't believe I've seen The Cliffs or Which Way being groomed at all this season... same with LG. For consistant grooming, look towards Panorama, Rim Run, Elbow, Cruiser, Northstar, Inverness, and the base area greens.