Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Still I feel there is a growing demand for terrain like this.
    1) Anyone seen any actual marketing information saying this? Everything I've seen has been going the other way.

b) Anyone ever really looked at the amount of skiers on the bumps on Spring Fling, when it is done half and half? I see the vast majority of people on the groomed half for most of the trail.

Like I say, I'm not trying to run the place, but part of my job is to approach people having trouble on terrain. I have been assured that lower part of Northstar, the first part of Pushover and the first and last part of Lower Pushover were not green. I have also been assured that Elbow and Downspout were not blue. I have been asked by someone on Murphy's, how someone can get to a blue.

Truth be told, we have a tough little mountain. I don't say this as a problem, as I've been known to make a turn or two, there. I'll find a way to make my way down the hill.

I just worry about funneling a greater amount of people onto a narrow section of trail so that the rest can be set up for people that aren't there.

As for the question as to who is too old to ski bumps... Daevious is certainly too old. Bubba isn't, but he's too tied to that whole PSIA thing.

Anyone here know who John and Barbara King are? Anyone know Rich Jones?
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    Still I feel there is a growing demand for terrain like this.
    1) Anyone seen any actual marketing information saying this? Everything I've seen has been going the other way.

b) Anyone ever really looked at the amount of skiers on the bumps on Spring Fling, when it is done half and half? I see the vast majority of people on the groomed half for most of the trail.

Like I say, I'm not trying to run the place, but part of my job is to approach people having trouble on terrain. I have been assured that lower part of Northstar, the first part of Pushover and the first and last part of Lower Pushover were not green. I have also been assured that Elbow and Downspout were not blue. I have been asked by someone on Murphy's, how someone can get to a blue.

Truth be told, we have a tough little mountain. I don't say this as a problem, as I've been known to make a turn or two, there. I'll find a way to make my way down the hill.

I just worry about funneling a greater amount of people onto a narrow section of trail so that the rest can be set up for people that aren't there.

As for the question as to who is too old to ski bumps... Daevious is certainly too old. Bubba isn't, but he's too tied to that whole PSIA thing.

Anyone here know who John and Barbara King are? Anyone know Rich Jones?
    I know John and Barbara well, and enjoyed some bumps on the top of Organgrinder with them a couple seasons ago. Great folks, truly capture the spirit of the mountain. And they can still ski with the best of them!

Lostone, go into the season with an open mind and make your own assessment based on how it turns out. That's what we all have to do! Remember, the marketing stats are going to show it your way because people don't have a chance to learn how to enjoy moguls without fumbling around or hurting themselves! Once they have a place to learn, keep in mind that that status quo may change, and you might need to make a slight adjustment to that paradigm!

Just a thought as a proponent of moguls, and having been contacted countless times by folks who used to hate bumps until they learned how to ski them (either from Dan DiPiro's "Everything the Instructors Never Taught You About Skiing Moguls," or from my technique guide on mogulskiing.net, or from camps with Mogul Logic and Momentum) with some competency and fluidity. Granted, that takes time. But you can get down the basics quickly to avoid harm and frustration, and then work as you go on perfecting your technique.

Wow - this thread exploded since the other day. I decided to drive down to CT for a couple days to see my parents and now i'm seeing the pics of the mountain with snow on it. If it was a foot dump then I'd be pissed, but you only have one family.

Anyways...

BMM... I bought my Mt Ellen+ pass for this season the second they went on sale back in April, so I'll defintely be there this season, most likely 2-3x a week. I'm only in Waterbury after all, so I don't have far to come. I was at ME some 15-20 times this past season and really advanced my skills by venturing off the cruisers and giving Tumbler, Hammerhead, the Cliffs, Encore, and Lower FIS a shot. I survived them all, though I was quite beat at the bottom. In early March, some friends dragged me up to Castlerock, and Middle Earth was conquered. Then in April, I met up with a few people from work, and by the end of the day, I had checked off the Mall, Ripcord, Paradise , Spillsville (all mogul runs) from my list. To date, I have not yet tried Lift Line, Rumble, or Stein's, but after the 4 bumpers I listed above in one day, I couldn't take any more... except a Switchback at the bar. Granted, the day we did those runs, it was in the 60s and the snow and bumps were soft and forgiving, though I didn't bail. In both the March and April days, I had people with me to push my limits. If I'm solo, I stick to what I know. After all, if I crash and die, there's noone I'm with waiting for me and wondering. So if you want to ride with me for a run or so, hollah.

Hawk... so you've seen me ride, eh? I appreciate the comments that I'm a good boarder. If anything, I'm having a blast out there and it gives me something to do. Summertime, I'm bored as hell.

Now back to the thread.....

My previous biggest fear in moguls was the fact that all of them were double diamond or diamond runs that all seemed 'really steep'. So if there were bumps on easier trails, then I'd feel more confident working my way up. I believe this was said some pages ago in this thread. 1/2 bumping some trails that have been mentioned here, such as Elbow or Northstar wouldn't be too bad. They should keep the courdoroy on Rim Run and Lookin' Good and S/S. Crackerjack hardly has anyone on it, but its flat from SBE to the Sunny D crossover, so not really a good place for bumps. The more and more I think about it, the less and less I'm stressing over it. Maybe it was seeing those pics in the other thread about the first snowfall. The season is knocking on the door, and I'm ready and waiting... since 4/20, my last day out.

See y'all on the mountain soon!

Ballet?

I threw out my short ballet skis and long poles in 1980! C'mon Pat...this is just your thesis, right? I want to ride some sweet stuff at Ellen and ski some bumps on Stein's with you next April. But really , I think we have enough bumps at the 'bush unless you can do something like 3-D at Sunday River. That's where they let the 2 yolds loose. But I've seen 3yolds at Castlerock and they rip.
    I have some buds who really enjoy the ME cruising so I would hate to see that change. ; }

Re: Ballet?

Quote Originally Posted by skiladi
    I threw out my short ballet skis and long poles in 1980! C'mon Pat...this is just your thesis, right?
    Nope, it's just my article on my website! Not my idea, not my mountain, not my call. I like it, though! Hence, the article.

By the way, if you hadn't thrown out your ballet skis, I would have bought them from you. No joke.

I'd like to give my crusty old groomer's point of view. I think people are getting a little too excited. This doesn't mean ALL of mt ellen will be bumped up. In fact, some of the pitches on the mountain lend themselves to having some bumps left in them. Lower northstar has had a nice little bump line on skiers right of it for the diamond dogs. Did any body see the little bumpline the kids built on snowflake? (The little trail as you exit the alley from lower FIS.) I don't see the entire mountain being left to bump up, in fact, We could probably put a couple of sweet little bump lines here and there and most people would hardly notice. When the freeze/thaw cycle creates conditon that are dangerous for patrol to rescue injured skiers, everything will probably get groomed. (Patrol can't save lives if they slide past you on the trail!)

CHEERS and see you on the hill!

LOL

This thread is a riot! I have to put my $.02 in.

This is much ado about nothing. (the fear and loathing part anyway). More low angle bump terrain is a great thing! At North a good portion of the terrain is "the same" Northstar, Cruiser, Whichway could be the same trail, Same pitch of the mountain, wide, (some would say boring) etc. Bumping up some of that is probably the idea. Big Deal.

I also sense the pent-up expectation of the impending season contributing to the fervor. The snow looked great on the hills driving south into Waitsfield on 100 yesterday morning.

It is coming.

Re: LOL

Quote Originally Posted by castlerock
    This thread is a riot! I have to put my $.02 in.

This is much ado about nothing. (the fear and loathing part anyway). More low angle bump terrain is a great thing! At North a good portion of the terrain is "the same" Northstar, Cruiser, Whichway could be the same trail, Same pitch of the mountain, wide, (some would say boring) etc. Bumping up some of that is probably the idea. Big Deal.

I also sense the pent-up expectation of the impending season contributing to the fervor. The snow looked great on the hills driving south into Waitsfield on 100 yesterday morning.

It is coming.
    If there was a thumbs up emoticon, it would be here in place of this random boring text. Good post, CR.

Montpelier, Vt....Steamboat CO for next two years

Great Idea!!

I think this move is a great step. Every mountain needs an identity to grow. To all you cruisers out there i would not fear. This is the ski industry, money talks and they will not forget about you. Can't wait to see how they lay it out.

BMM- do you know if there is going to be a course with jumps open to the public? Also I noticed you are tied to the ski industry and currently attend college in Colorado, could it be at CMC?

Fear not! That's all I'll say, so wait and see!

Re: Great Idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by SKItheBOAT
    BMM- do you know if there is going to be a course with jumps open to the public? Also I noticed you are tied to the ski industry and currently attend college in Colorado, could it be at CMC?
    I don't know about a course. I suppose it's a possibility?

I do indeed attend CMC (Leadville). I graduate in May. I'll be doing my internship at Mt. Ellen grooming (Nov through end of Mar).

Re: Great Idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by SKItheBOAT
    BMM- do you know if there is going to be a course with jumps open to the public?
    That would be cool. I never quite understood why kickers in a bump course at most ski areas are always blocked; if the course is even left for the general public, that is. Seems kinda silly when you have giant big air jumps in the terrain parks.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay
    I survived them all, though I was quite beat at the bottom. In early March, some friends dragged me up to Castlerock, and Middle Earth was conquered. Then in April, I met up with a few people from work, and by the end of the day, I had checked off the Mall, Ripcord, Paradise , Spillsville (all mogul runs) from my list. To date, I have not yet tried Lift Line, Rumble, or Stein's, but after the 4 bumpers I listed above in one day, I couldn't take any more...
    I'm glad you're enjoying the bumps! One big pet peeve I have though is when people say they've conquered something. Sorry, it just really bothers me for some reason. I've skied every single run on Lincoln and Mellon and just about every inch in between countless times and yet, my hardest fall last year was on Sunrise just before the Castlerock Connection. I just like to respect the mountain, no matter where I am on it. If ma nature decides she's going to smack you down, she will, be it on a mountain, river, ocean, green circle or double black EX. So treat her with respect!

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay
    I survived them all, though I was quite beat at the bottom. In early March, some friends dragged me up to Castlerock, and Middle Earth was conquered. Then in April, I met up with a few people from work, and by the end of the day, I had checked off the Mall, Ripcord, Paradise , Spillsville (all mogul runs) from my list. To date, I have not yet tried Lift Line, Rumble, or Stein's, but after the 4 bumpers I listed above in one day, I couldn't take any more...
    I'm glad you're enjoying the bumps! One big pet peeve I have though is when people say they've conquered something. Sorry, it just really bothers me for some reason. I've skied every single run on Lincoln and Mellon and just about every inch in between countless times and yet, my hardest fall last year was on Sunrise just before the Castlerock Connection. I just like to respect the mountain, no matter where I am on it. If ma nature decides she's going to smack you down, she will, be it on a mountain, river, ocean, green circle or double black EX. So treat her with respect!

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now.
    Or maybe the guy was just felt good about his accomplishment. Lighten up Francis.

Any of you guys....

...touch me or my stuff.....

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale
    Lighten up Francis.