Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winter Tires

My first car was a 1976 AMC Gremlin. Even with snowtires, sometimes someone had to ride in the hatch to weight it down. Firecracker red, three on the floor
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

My first car....a hand me down from Grammy....

....was a 1972, fully loaded Buick 225 Electra. She had put all of about 3000 miles on it by the time I got it in 1982. Leather, power everything, that huge, legendary engine....and what had to be about 1.5 miles to the gallon. Trunk could hold 3 kegs EASILY. Back seat had to be nearly the size of a twin bed. Curb weight....what......2 tons ??? The melt value of the steel alone must have been thousands.

To state that it was a legendary collegiate love/party boat would be.....I'm afraid....an understatement. Hence my cellar dwelling GPA. But I was a merry prankster....and very popular (never to be equalled in later life !).

Come to think of it....that car's the entire reason for my misspent, wayward youth....and my current life's woeful mediocrity !

Dawn Patrol, I'm assuming the Winter tires portion of this is finished, but if not, I would be happy to split it and break out the first car portion.

It seems to have taken over, as a natural topic drift, but let me know if you want your thread back.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

My first car was a '69 Torino fastback. She was the Bluebird. She could, and did, get stuck going downhill. But she was an automatic, and I could get out, push her to get her going, then jump in and drive away. Also, I was in the air force, and there was never a problem getting 3 guys to go where ever you wanted to go, so there were always available pushers.

I had her in Limestone Maine, so there was hardly ever any winter. It never started before September, and was almost always done by the first week in June.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    Dawn Patrol, I'm assuming the Winter tires portion of this is finished, but if not, I would be happy to split it and break out the first car portion.

It seems to have taken over, as a natural topic drift, but let me know if you want your thread back.
    Haha.. No thats alright, this might be my favorite thread ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale
    Flesh Colored 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S "The Flesh Mobile"
    My first car was a 1967 Cutless, a real plain model I bought in 1970.
    the '68 Cutlass was my 2nd car and I bought it off a little old lady in 1984.

Some context on the "Man Wagons": I am the proverbial rooster in the hen house living with one wife and four daughters. The Man Wagon moniker is hollow attempt to man up the soccer mom like vehicles I now drive, not because I'm hauling a lot men around. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
    No extra 'man up' needed on this 340 hp bad boy:

62 VW beetle stick, with studded snows on the rear, and regular winters on the front, with rusted out heater boxes. That car went over the Bethel/Rochester Mt road for almost 10 years, (1980-1990) never got stuck. She wasn't fast, or pretty, but she started every time and was a miser on fuel.

Unlike most I keep cars for a long time....my fav which I bought new for $5600 was a 1977 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40. I sold it in 1995 for $3000. Pretty good value if I do say so myself. Awesome vehicle for northwest Wyoming. I still miss that vehicle when I see one on the road. BTW, I don't name them...
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Re: Winter Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by skiladi
    Quote Originally Posted by skiladi
    Its almost that time... To take the drag radials off the ole' ferrari and get some winters on her for the weekly trek to the mountains. So. Whats everyone recommend? Has anyone experience with Nokian's? I previously had Blizzak LM-25's, which were phenomenal. But you know.. you'll never find something better if you stick to what you've always had.
    If you can afford a ferrari then you should just get a winter vehicle... But if you must drive it get the Nokian. Hakka(short for hakkapeliitta) R for studless and Hakka 5 studded for the most traction.
    Check your sarcasm meter skiladi
    I am not being sarcastic although I have been known to be. I truly would buy a good winter vehicle and I would still put Nokian tires on it!! ; }
    lol.. no.. I was being sarcastic. I don't own a ferrari. Which is why you should check the batteries in your sarcasm meter. Got it?
    In that case , forget my previous advice for European finery and go with these beauties.

I'm just being picky, but that is the new A4, and the A version doesn't have 340 horsepower. I think it will be 200 or so in the 2.0T and roughly 280 in the 3.2 FSI. The previous S4 on the other hand did with the 4.2 L V8. The S4 that will be in that "new" body style, won't have that much but it will have a supercharged V6 and get much better mileage.

The fact that I know this and actually write this shows that I have envy issues, I admit.

Quote Originally Posted by castlerock

I'm just being picky, but that is the new A4, and the A version doesn't have 340 horsepower. I think it will be 200 or so in the 2.0T and roughly 280 in the 3.2 FSI. The previous S4 on the other hand did with the 4.2 L V8. The S4 that will be in that "new" body style, won't have that much but it will have a supercharged V6 and get much better mileage.

The fact that I know this and actually write this shows that I have envy issues, I admit.
    hmm.. AFAIK the new s4 will get the supercharged V6 putting out around 350hp

"According to Auto Motor und Sport, the new engine will be fitted with a blower and putting out around 350 hp when fitted to the next generation S4. The supercharged six is expected to return better fuel mileage than its V8 counterpart and will also be fitted to the refreshed A6, due out towards the end of this year, although output will be reduced to 290 hp and 310 lb.-ft. of torque."

In anycase, beautiful car.

Absolutely gorgeous really.

Now what I really want is a 1.8 L Deisel hybrid combo in that car

And 4 hakkas

Just saw this resurface, thought I'd add, I got the Dunlop Wintersport 3D. They ROCK. I had absoultely ZERO trouble driving through the heart of thursday's storm!