Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    I understand. Can you tell yourself, all the time, that you don't have your summer handling, and slow the @#$% down? All the time?? That is a decision you have to make.

As for tires, I used to be in a ski club which was a great house, but on the road from hell, in bad conditions. We had a woman who came up in all weather tires and went off the road a number of times. After towing her back up onto it, a number of times, the local service station owner read her the riot act and told her to get a set of Hakkapeliittas. She did, and I don't think she ever went off, again.
    Haha.. I know.. But 80 isn't really all that fast for those roads. especially down in CT where you'll often be driving in above freezing temps. What tires do you have? and what kind of driving do you do? Like I said, I'm definitely going for a winter tire. I'm just trying to decide between winter sport or full on snow tires.

On second thought. I'll just leave my toyo t1r's on for the winter..

I appreciate everyone's input btw.

Mine is the right one!

Snow tires are like religion.....

Me...? I... uh... have all weathers. And I live on the mountain.

I have Vera, who is a Subaru with great snowfeet, and of course, when it snows... I walk out the back door, go across the bridge, click into my skis and ski down to the Village chair, unless it is a real powder day. In which case, I have to walk all the way over to Super Bravo, so I'll be there when it starts loading.

It will be interesting to see what happens this year, as I am now doing a morning radio show on Thursdays. My guess is that I'll start making announcements in November, that, should it be a Thursday morning around 8:00, and you hear HAL on the air... you might just want to wander up to the mountain.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Nice Lostone... Tough commute eh?

Re: Winter Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by skiladi
    Its almost that time... To take the drag radials off the ole' ferrari and get some winters on her for the weekly trek to the mountains. So. Whats everyone recommend? Has anyone experience with Nokian's? I previously had Blizzak LM-25's, which were phenomenal. But you know.. you'll never find something better if you stick to what you've always had.
    If you can afford a ferrari then you should just get a winter vehicle... But if you must drive it get the Nokian. Hakka(short for hakkapeliitta) R for studless and Hakka 5 studded for the most traction.
    Check your sarcasm meter skiladi
    I am not being sarcastic although I have been known to be. I truly would buy a good winter vehicle and I would still put Nokian tires on it!! ; }

Its almost that time... To take the drag radials off the ole' ferrari and get some winters on her for the weekly trek to the mountains. So. Whats everyone recommend? Has anyone experience with Nokian's? I previously had Blizzak LM-25's, which were phenomenal. But you know.. you'll never find something better if you stick to what you've always had.
    If you can afford a ferrari then you should just get a winter vehicle... But if you must drive it get the Nokian. Hakka(short for hakkapeliitta) R for studless and Hakka 5 studded for the most traction.
    I am not being sarcastic although I have been known to be. I truly would buy a good winter vehicle and I would still put Nokian tires on it!! ; }
    lol.. no.. I was being sarcastic. I don't own a ferrari. Which is why you should check the batteries in your sarcasm meter. Got it?

lol.. no.. I was being sarcastic. I don't own a ferrari. Which is why you should check the batteries in your sarcasm meter. Got it?
    This was too funny.

When I bought my subie it came with those fancy Nokia Hakkwhatever snow tires and they were okay but in two years they wore out. I'm going to break the bank this year and get some Cooper Weathermaster tires as I know it's going to be a big snow year. Oh Yeah!

Losty - you named your car, Vera? Man, we got to get you a girlfriend.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

The sarcasm in this thread like a fine french pastry or radial snow tire. It has many layers. I've been driving all manner of vehicle: 4 wheel, front wheel, and even rear wheel a long time ago on all seasons every season for a lot of seasons through just about all manner of weather. While I certainly concede that dedicated snowys are superior what is more important is the very strong correlation between speed reduction and incident free driving when it gets slick. Yes, I'm usually anxious to get there and usually tired as well. But the lifts won't spin 'til 8 the the next day whether I get in at 10 pm or 12 am. It's not genius, I know. It's just patience.

Now, call me foolhardy if you must. I don't mind if you do. But at present we drive an allwheel drive minivan with whatever stock allseasons are on it right up and over Roxbury Gap. Occaisionally if I haven't had enough scotch during the drive from Mass and/or it is particularly stormy, I'll divert over Bethel mountain instead. So far knock knock on wood no troubles.

For the record: I was only kidding about the scotch, but we really do own a minivan. . . . Suddenly, I feel naked. . . . where's the scotch?

Suddenly, I feel naked. . . . where's the scotch?
    You.... You're going to dress in scotch???

Losty - you named your car, Vera?
    I name all my cars. Some are male; some female.

Vera's name was given to me by the daughter of the woman who used to live upstairs from me. I had mentioned that it was odd to own a red car, as my last one was gray, and the one before was beige. She then said this one was vera red, and... the rest is history... or present... depending.

Does your car have a name? Does it have a personality? Do you?
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Flesh Colored 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S "The Flesh Mobile"

White 1973 rusted out Toyota Corolla: "Chick Magnet"

Black 1987 Ford F250 "Max"

Black 1991 Saab 900 "Excalibur"

Gold 1997 Honda Accord "Anonymous"

Black 2000 Volvo Station Wagon "Man Wagon" 100% man hauler

White 2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan "Snowflake"

Grey 2007 Volvo XC90 SUV/Wagon "New and Improved Man Wagon with 15% more man hauling capacity"

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale
    My first car was a 1967 Cutless, a real plain model I bought in 1970.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    the '68 Cutlass was my 2nd car and I bought it off a little old lady in 1984.

Some context on the "Man Wagons": I am the proverbial rooster in the hen house living with one wife and four daughters. The Man Wagon moniker is hollow attempt to man up the soccer mom like vehicles I now drive, not because I'm hauling a lot men around. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    My first car was a 1967 Cutless 442, a sleeper with 350hp and four on the floor I bought in 1972 for $350.

Oh yea, I use Cooper Discoverer M+S studded tires on all my vehicles.