Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gate House Lodge

Ate lunch at the Gate House on Saturday. It appeared that the some of the tables were arranged differently. Was this done to add additional tables and chairs?

The only reason I ask is because it was more difficult then ever to get to an open table. What I mean is, there were open tables, it was just near impossible to get to them! And once I finally got to one of these open tables and finished my lunch, it was even more impossible to get out. Just for reference my experience was sitting somewhere above the Castlerock pub, by the windows that face Claybrook.

Now don’t get me wrong, the lodge definitely needs more seating and tables, but not without additional floor space. Saturday’s configuration was just to cluttered mess.

Here is my suggestion.
    Now I haven’t measured it, but it looks like the ceilings are high enough to add an additional level. Yes the cathedral ceiling looks nice but its just not a practical use of the space. Besides if you add a deck (something any ski lodge should have anyway) you could access this additional level from the inside or out.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Probably plenty of room at the Valley House lodge, no need to add an expensive second level at GH when there is plenty of space a short walk away.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

I spoke with Win on Friday and he alluded to a few different interesting ideas that would increase seating and boot storage space at Gate House. I'm not sure how solid these plans are so I won't divulge. I'm sure he'll chime in if he's looking for feedback. The point is that Win and co. are always looking for ways to improve the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    I spoke with Win on Friday and he alluded to a few different interesting ideas that would increase seating and boot storage space at Gate House. I'm not sure how solid these plans are so I won't divulge. I'm sure he'll chime in if he's looking for feedback. The point is that Win and co. are always looking for ways to improve the experience.
    Was there any mention of the Guest services lodge being built this summer and open for next season? or are they planning on the same thing there is this year?

I'd be interested to hear those ideas, as I've been on the "GH is too small" bandwagon since it opened. It always surprised me how a building with 2x the footprint of that which it replaced seemed to seat fewer people. Regardless, Win has mentioned the possibility of expanding the GH lodge (the useless south porch would be a good target to enclose) and any ideas to expand the usable space/capacity of the bldg would be music to my ears. These steps need to be taken whether or not the GSL is built this summer (I'm setting the market on that at 48% right now).

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    Probably plenty of room at the Valley House lodge, no need to add an expensive second level at GH when there is plenty of space a short walk away.
    Yeah but you know how it is. You make plans to meet your people at the Gate House, everybody's already there at 11:45. Who wants to walk up to the Valley House. Plus atleast I think, the food tastes better at the Gate House for what reason I don't know.

As for the cost, I think it would be a good bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    I'd be interested to hear those ideas, as I've been on the "GH is too small" bandwagon since it opened. It always surprised me how a building with 2x the footprint of that which it replaced seemed to seat fewer people. Regardless, Win has mentioned the possibility of expanding the GH lodge (the useless south porch would be a good target to enclose) and any ideas to expand the usable space/capacity of the bldg would be music to my ears. These steps need to be taken whether or not the GSL is built this summer (I'm setting the market on that at 48% right now).
    Given the lack of banter about building plans and ground breaking, not to mention the recession and difficulties in the credit markets, I would guess the chances at significantly less then 48%.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2
    Was there any mention of the Guest services lodge being built this summer and open for next season? or are they planning on the same thing there is this year?
    Well, again, I don't want to divulge too much. Win will comment here, I'm sure. I don't know what I was told is common knowledge or was told to me in confidence.

Well, again, I don't want to divulge too much. Win will comment here, I'm sure. I don't know what I was told is common knowledge or was told to me in confidence.
    Tease

I think it's now common knowledge that the GSL is not in the cards for this upcoming building season. Letter to employees a month or two ago noted as much, referring to a strong desire to 'do it right' when thy do build the GSL, and to not compromise the design with something half-baked. Heard from a few employees that a number of versions of the GSL were considered & priced, scaling down original plan due to several factors inlcuding budgetary consderations. No alternative seemed 'right' or even a good way forward, so feeling was to defer and do it right at a later date. In the interim, there's some serious thinking about what can be done to maximize the flow & utility for the new GH. On more than one day this season, others have noticed planner-type folks hunched over blueprints & renderings in the GH. I did not see/read this letter so take this with a grain of salt. I too await word from Win & Co.
    No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)

Quote Originally Posted by boze
    I think it's now common knowledge that the GSL is not in the cards for this upcoming building season. Letter to employees a month or two ago noted as much, referring to a strong desire to 'do it right' when thy do build the GSL, and to not compromise the design with something half-baked. Heard from a few employees that a number of versions of the GSL were considered & priced, scaling down original plan due to several factors inlcuding budgetary consderations. No alternative seemed 'right' or even a good way forward, so feeling was to defer and do it right at a later date. In the interim, there's some serious thinking about what can be done to maximize the flow & utility for the new GH. On more than one day this season, others have noticed planner-type folks hunched over blueprints & renderings in the GH. I did not see/read this letter so take this with a grain of salt. I too await word from Win & Co.
    Boze -

That's good info. I had heard rumors to this effect, but nothing solid, hence the 48%. I suspect that regardless of all the talk about wanting to get it right, the prime directive was $$, and all other considerations had to flow from that. Hopefully, whatever they do build will be designed to grow as needed when the funds are available in future years.

Again, glad to hear about the ongoing thought being given to how to make GH work better. It has alwayus struck me as a very pretty structure that worked better on the blueprints than it did in stone, concrete and wood. Simply too much space given over to "back of the house" activities and not enough for the public. Also, it seems that it was designed in part to fulfill its primary mission in the winter while also making compromises designed to bring in event revenues (weddings, etc...). Just like the multi-purpose sports venues of the 60s and 70s, it has ended up being really good at neither.

Benches

Benches.
    Benches.
    Benches.
    Benches.
    Benches.
    Benches.
    Benches.

Re: Benches

Quote Originally Posted by castlerock
    Benches.
    Benches.
    Benches.
    Benches.
    Benches.
    Benches.
    Benches.
    Benches are tougher to move, store, and re-use for a multi-purpose facility, hence my reference to Three Rivers Stadium and its ilk. Benches would be a huge plus.

Benches? We don't need no stinkin' Benches!!!!

Actually, though, they do. Seems like they'd be better than chairs.

Me too I thought the overall visitor space in the new GH was small. The upstairs seems like it should be a lot bigger, but the food service takes over about half.
    Downstairs, its like a tunnel walkway from the C'Rock Pub to the entrance by the ticket windows.

I'm sure the issues will be resolved (space concerns) when the other lodge is built.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    I suspect that regardless of all the talk about wanting to get it right, the prime directive was $$,
    Regardless of whether that's true or not, isn't that part of wanting to "get it right?" If you don't have the finances to do it right, why do a half-assed job? Be patient and wait until you've got the right plan, and the right budget.