Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Stagflation - I don't know. A jump in gold prices usually indicates to me that people are predicting inflation. I think it's equally part of the puzzle. So people are looking for inflation yet oil and food prices are high which is usually a sign of a recession. Plus the falling dollar shows signs that inflation is around and with that of course the price of imports will increase (and have been) adding to the conundrum. Basically there is a period of slow economic growth and rising prices. (The CPI while not jumping drastically has increased). What ever you want to call it, stagflation, recession, slappywhoseywhatsit it still a bad place to be sitting. The Fed is in a pickle though. Lower interest rates and the dollar plummets even more or raise interest rates and admit there are inflation-like things happening and the consumer confidence goes into a tailspin.

Well at least we have skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale
    Specific functionalities/limitations aside, I can't see putting up a building in that highly seasonal business environment that did not have the versatility to be at least some what multi purposed even at the cost of some of the primary function to enhance alternative revenue opportunity for the overall health of the resort. The stadiums of the 70's and 80's analogy doesn't work for me because the versatility of those facilities of that era was split between two very specific and limiting purposes: football and baseball. Stadiums today are still multi purposed but for a broader spectrum of uses not just sporting events. Though I get your point. I agree the boot room size and seating capacities etc. in the lodge are all important issues, but to my eye there is already a large % of assets dedicated specifically to the primary function of a ski resort and to place limitations as to the use of that building would be a mistake. The concessions made by the design limitations that impact the consumer to be flexible, I trust go toward the over all operating health and longevity of the operation. That apparent dedication to the health and longevity of SB is of more value to me as a consumer than the short term shortfalls causing consumer inconvenience. I am counting on this place to feed my ski addiction for decades. I take stock in the the track record that ownership has shown making improvements to the existing facility as a promise of sorts that they will continue to tweak and make improvements where possible. Further, I have faith that the paymasters will apply the appropriate leather to the backs of design and build teams when the operation is sufficiently capitalized and poised to proceed safely with expansion/improvement.

PS: If at all possible, I know it's frivolous and may contradict to some degree the statement above, but I'd still like to see some type propane fired fire pit in the square. I'm sure this way low on everyones priority list. Just thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

BTW: I'm hoping to make 1st, 2nd, 3rd chair or so on Bravo this Saturday and Sunday. If you've wanted to take a few runs with a human debris field (a Yard Sale that is), this could be your chance. See Blue Helmet W/ Green Clover.
    First of all, I'll see you at the Bravo with Orange backpack. Second, I agree there is not enough fire in or around the lodge. A fire pit would be great but it must be real wood burning. Not to get off on another tangent, but I hope this summer there is a grill going and some tunes outside the CR pub

1. Great. I look forward to it. Anyone else?

2. I prefer wood also, but gas would probably easier/cheaper.

Gas fire pit

They look pretty nice. I'm pretty sure there's one in front of the Four Seasons at Jackson Hole. I'd also vote for more fireplaces, even gas, in GH and Timbers (the gas fp in Timbers is pretty lame--too small and never cleaned).

Fire pits, indoor fire places, it is all expected stuff at a ski area in Vermont ( or anywhere else for that matter).

While I have complained here on the list that there is no fire place I did hear there might be one planned for the family side of the new lodge. . . . . .anywhere - just have one, please. An outdoor fire pit is a classic as well. . .have not been there in a long time, but Bretton Woods had a nice one out near the front of the place.
    Always a nice touch and real cheeep. The wood just from clearing debris would make enough wood for a season. And hey, any fellow looking to make a move on a ski bunny having a fire place make it just that much easier. I may be sounding too romantic , but isn't that the point of the thing? ME has that great little fire place and that couch is ALWAYS filled. . . . .. because it fufills the need and the dream. I have heard that local regulations may prohibit this??? You gotta be kidding me. Half the state heats their house with the stuff. As for use of the lodge, as a passholder I have little use for it, although the food is very good for a cafeteria, so I do visit from time to time, but it is too crowded most of the weekends for me.

We got a lot ot be thankful for here and a lot that can be improved for everyones sake- including the bottom line. The cost of doing business is high and the customer always pays - or the place goes out of business. I'm happy here, and have been enough other places that I know we have the best of skiing - snow - people who care - always room for improvements though. A fire place indoor or out would make the memories -after all , that is what we are trying to create, right?- that much clearer and deeper.