Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whiskey

Whiskey

Whats everybodys favorite whiskey after skiing??

Happygirl, asking happy questions!!

Bourbon, if in a brown mood, or vodka over lots of ice, if not.

Does anybody know of any good Southern Comfort mixes?

Now you're talking. Gotta go with the bourbon. There is a new distillery in the Hudson valley making great stuff called Hudson Valley Four Grain Bourbon. That is to drink straight. If you're mixing, I prefer Makers Mark.

Once I get in front of the fireplace, I like to have port. If you're just trying port, do not buy the cheap stuff, unless it's tawny from Australia. I would recommend any 20 or 30 year old tawny.

Hmmm.........first beer, now whiskey. I seem to be getting a pattern here....
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Port

I'd pay up a bit for a single vintage port. Those are aged in bottle, as opposed to tawny, which is aged in cask (and hence the "tawny" label).

Bourbon--you might want to try the Jim Beam 8 yr. old--I think you'll like it much more than Maker's Mark. The NY Times did a nice bourbon tasting a couple of months ago. I bet you can find it on the website.

Re: Port

Quote Originally Posted by Fourwide
    I'd pay up a bit for a single vintage port. Those are aged in bottle, as opposed to tawny, which is aged in cask (and hence the "tawny" label).

Bourbon--you might want to try the Jim Beam 8 yr. old--I think you'll like it much more than Maker's Mark. The NY Times did a nice bourbon tasting a couple of months ago. I bet you can find it on the website.
    Vintage ports are great, but IMHO less reliable than a 20-30 year old tawny at the same price point. A 20 year tawny will cost upwards of $50 a bottle. 30 year obviously more. You can spend significantly more for a good vintage and it will either be great or sometimes, not. I think for the novice port buyer, a good tawny is the way to go.
    Care to have a port tasting at SB?

Good points, I'm sure--I think you know alot more about Port than do I! Port tasting sounds like a great idea. A buddy of mine and I had a very successful tequila tasting at Timbers bar a couple of weekends' ago!

How did we get on Port........Whiskey - Single malt for me from the place where men wear skirts. 20 years or better.

Back to port........Howie, vintage port with many years and the more expensive the better. Live it up!
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

No whiskey for me. Actually no hard alcohol at all for me. I stick to beer and wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    How did we get on Port........Whiskey - Single malt for me from the place where men wear skirts. 20 years or better.

Back to port........Howie, vintage port with many years and the more expensive the better. Live it up!
    That's the problem. Too pricey for my wallet.

Whiskey, port, Scotch, etc.

Port - except for the cheapest rubies, they're almost all good.

For bourbon, give me Booker's.

For Scotch, Lagavaulin.

For rum, Pyrut XO.

Cognac - Hennessey XO.

Tequila - Patron, Don Julio or Herradura Anejo.

For something really different, Lucid Absinthe.

They're all good. Too many to choose from.

GS

Re: Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by happygirl
    Whats everybodys favorite whiskey after skiing??
    Knob Creek or Jack D for home grown and MacAllen for imports

jkvt
    The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking. - A. A. Milne

John Power's Irish, Maker's Mark, JD, or any decent vodka. Bowmore 20, Balvenie Doublewood, or any other sherry-casked single malt. I prefer my liquors in the 80 proof range, as anything higher gives whiskeys a hot taste.

As for the Southern Comfort: The SoCo Manhattan is made by putting a lot of ice in a Boston shaker, then filling with about 3 oz. of Comfort. Touch it with just a bit of red (sweet) vermouth. Note: some places use dry vermouth for this. Shake the hell out of it, and pour into a stemmed glass. Garnish with a maraschino cherry. Serve the ice in a rocks glass on the side.