sunday mountaineering race - course?

i saw the info about the race on sunday.
    here is the race course map-

http://www.life-link.com/sb_mrg_courseinfo.htm

how will this race affect the trails on sunday for us non-racers?

will any trails be closed?
    the way the course traverses the mts, it could affect how each mountain skis.

thanks for any info.

There will be volunteers in areas andthey may ask people to wait for a few minutes, while racers pass. But they are quite spread out by the time they hit the area, so there isn't much of a problem at all. Most people won't even know why the volunteers are standing there.

Use the time you are waiting to cheer these athletes! That is one heck of a course!
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

It wasn't a problem last year. For the most part when they hit the populated trails they are going down hill with the flow of traffic. The only place I ran into a situation where I had to wait was at the top of slide brook. But Lostone is right, it's a hell of a race. I love strenuous exercise but man that looks painfull.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Vollenters needed

I understand that they need vollenters. I am myself going to. You get a voucher for your service. Call Harry at guest services for more infomation.

Re: Vollenters needed

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskier
    I understand that they need vollenters. I am myself going to. You get a voucher for your service. Call Harry at guest services for more infomation.
    They are in need of some volunteers, locally you can call 583-6590(Guest Services) or you can call the 800-53-SUGAR and ask to be transferred to LP Guest Services. Understand that some of the locations needing volunteers are pretty remote. Getting involved with events like this are alot of fun.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Re: Vollenters needed

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    Understand that some of the locations needing volunteers are pretty remote. Getting involved with events like this are alot of fun.
    Remote? That does sound like fun. How late can one volunteer? Sat?
    With the weather and the super bowl I might not be up this weekend

RE: Remote spots

I've worked this race both years that they have run it. It's a lot of fun and no location is very remote. Most of the volunteer spots are somewhere on the ski trails at north or south and a few are in slide brook on the main road between north and south. It can be chilly so dress warmly and you will probably want a talkabout radio so that you can communicate with the other volunteers on either side of you. You are usually done around lunch time.

If I remember correctly there's often volunteers posted in the following spots: top of exterminator at north, the bottom of the trail part of lower FIS (or at the corner where the slide brook road starts), at the main bridge in slidebrook, at the fork at road 1 in slide brook where the pro and rec divisions split, at the bottom of north lynx where the racers have to go towards castle rock, and at the corner of header at south where the racers have to turn and go up header. There will probably be a few more volunteer spots if they get enough volunteers. Also, I'm not sure what they do at mad river, my snowboard doesn't fit on the single chair.

I'd do it again but I won't be around this weekend to avoid the general suckage. If we get a magic foot on Friday night maybe I'll head out and help with the race again.