Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: Ski shell

Re: Ski shell

Anyone have any recommendations for a new shell and/or a place to get one. They all claim to be waterproof and breathable.

Depends on how much you want to spend. I have an Arc'Teryx Alpha SV Jacket. It's water proof, heck it's bomb proof and really light weight. Really well designed and probably the last jacket you'll need to buy. I wear it skiing and have worn it up Aconcagua and Kilimanjaro with no complaints. Of course it's a bit pricey. You can find it online for about $600, but I will say you won't be buying a new jacket every few seasons unless you get tired of the look. A little less expensive A little less expensive ($400) is the Beta AR jacket by Arc'teryx or the Mounatain Hardwear Pinnacle ($300). REI also makes some really good hardshell jackets that incorporate a lot of the innovations Arc'terx and Mountain Hardwear use for less.

If you're looking for just a ski coat I apologize. All my jackets pull double duty for lightweight winter camping and climbing so I don't have much insight on that. When you're looking keep in mind that Gore-tex is just a name brand of material like how band-aides got to be the universal name for adhesive bandages. Other companies have their own version of Goretex that are pretty decent (Mountain Hardwear has Conduit). I find the best things is to go with a hardshell and a softshell and avoid jackets that have some kind of liner as part of the coat. It allows you to layer based on your body heat. If the liner is stitched in and you're sweating I don't care how great they claim the Gore-tex is on the outside there's no way it's going to be able to wick away all that moisture as the liner soaks it in.

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush
    Depends on how much you want to spend. I have an Arc'Teryx Alpha SV Jacket. It's water proof, heck it's bomb proof and really light weight. Really well designed and probably the last jacket you'll need to buy. I wear it skiing and have worn it up Aconcagua and Kilimanjaro with no complaints. Of course it's a bit pricey. You can find it online for about $600, but I will say you won't be buying a new jacket every few seasons unless you get tired of the look. A little less expensive A little less expensive ($400) is the Beta AR jacket by Arc'teryx or the Mounatain Hardwear Pinnacle ($300). REI also makes some really good hardshell jackets that incorporate a lot of the innovations Arc'terx and Mountain Hardwear use for less.

If you're looking for just a ski coat I apologize. All my jackets pull double duty for lightweight winter camping and climbing so I don't have much insight on that. When you're looking keep in mind that Gore-tex is just a name brand of material like how band-aides got to be the universal name for adhesive bandages. Other companies have their own version of Goretex that are pretty decent (Mountain Hardwear has Conduit). I find the best things is to go with a hardshell and a softshell and avoid jackets that have some kind of liner as part of the coat. It allows you to layer based on your body heat. If the liner is stitched in and you're sweating I don't care how great they claim the Gore-tex is on the outside there's no way it's going to be able to wick away all that moisture as the liner soaks it in.
    I have had the same jacket going on 6(?) seasons now. It is awesome! Very bomb proof! I usually buy stuff at one of the online retailers.....more selection. I usually buy 2 for size and return one. Check out some of the gear reviews on some of the retailer websites. I like Patagucci...I mean Patagoina (very good stuff and service) and REI, there no questions return policy kicks A$$. Plus you can save on shipping if you have it shipped to a local store.

My .02

Probably want to move it to Misc. ?
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

That all depends on exactly what you want it to do. If you are not the type of guy who skies in the pouring rain, then a soft shell might be your best bet.

Give us a little more to work with. What is your expected budget? do you earn your turns? do you need to be out in even a downpour? (Patroler) Will you use it for camping or sailing? How many days a year do you need it. will you need it in extreme cold?

I'm a bit of a gear head, (and I'm sure there are others here) Give us something to work with. The week after Presidents week is when winter gear starts getting discounted heavily, but you might not want to wait that long.

No matter what, fit is real important. It must fit around your helmet and neck properly, or you might as well wear a golf jacket.

Reading along, I read
    Probably want to move it to Misc. ?
    I say to myself, "That sounds like a good idea". Then I realize that would be me!

So moved.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Windshield Ski Bum
    That all depends on exactly what you want it to do. If you are not the type of guy who skies in the pouring rain, then a soft shell might be your best bet.

Give us a little more to work with. What is your expected budget? do you earn your turns? do you need to be out in even a downpour? (Patroler) Will you use it for camping or sailing? How many days a year do you need it. will you need it in extreme cold?

I'm a bit of a gear head, (and I'm sure there are others here) Give us something to work with. The week after Presidents week is when winter gear starts getting discounted heavily, but you might not want to wait that long.

No matter what, fit is real important. It must fit around your helmet and neck properly, or you might as well wear a golf jacket.
    I like to bundle up, ski the woods and I earn my turns, so I sweat. I need something very breathable with vents. I ski in all weather although not in a pouring rain. Freezing rain I will do. When there's powder in the trees, I tend to fall in it, so I need something waterproof. I'm not going to use it for anything but skiing (it will live in my boot bag). While I will use it in extreme cold, I prefer to layer underneath. I do find my share of branches so I need something that won't rip.
    I've never had a "soft shell" but it was my understanding that they are not waterproof enough for the weather I would ski in. Nor would it be compatible with all my layers. I've been looking at more of a hard shell. I like having a mesh liner inside the shell.
    My present shell is a North Face, I bought in a rush without any prior research. I've never been happy with it (it gets soaked and stays wet the rest of the day). I think its a $100 jacket I paid $250 for. This time I'd like to get a $400 jacket for the same $250 but If I have to spend $400, I will. I went to the local ski shop and saw seemingly nice Cloudveil and Arctyrex but their selection was limited. I also looked online, but the glowing descriptions make everything look alike.
    I can wait until the gear goes on sale. I'm going to try spraying that waterproof revitalizer stuff on my shell.
    Thanks for all your help. I know none of you are shilling for the manufacturers so your opinions are invaluable.

I also have an Arc'Teryx shell. I can't say enough about it. I've have it for 9 or 10 seasons and the thing is "bomb proof". I've been sking for 35 years - the best jacket I have owned - very functional and high quality. I think you can find some good deals online. Good luck.

I'd go for anything 3 layer Gore-Tex or similar (Cloudveil=cloudburst, Patagonia=H2NO, etc.) 3 Layer usually is higher end with better construction (welded seams, zipper garages, fleece lining on the chin(no chafing), vents, helmet compatable hoods, etc).

2 Layer usually has the mesh inside. I would steer clear of that. You might pay more $$ up front but you will be much happier. If you take care of your gear you will have the jacket for many years to come.
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Sorry. I forgot to mention 3 layers myself. Good point. The 3 layer goretex is the worth the extra money. In fact I believe the new goretex product itself is pretty sweet. I went to a ski show and they were demonstrating it. They had you dip your hand in water to get it wet and simulate sweat. Then you put on a gortex glove )It looked like a surgical glove and was made of just goretex without the trimmings you might have in a normal glove (i.e. insulation, designs etc) The put a rubber band around your wrist to keep it airtight and had you dip your hand in a bucket of water. A minute or two later you take your hand out and the glove off and your hand is dry. It wicked away moisture into a 100% saturated environment, a bucket of water. Not bad stuff.

Also look for fully gusseted underarms when you look at a product. It will prevent your jacket lifting up when you raise your arms. As for the softshell I also have an arc'teryx softshell (I'm not a shill for arc'teryx. , but I do trust their kit) As you pointed out it won't suffice as your one and only jacket. I wore it last Saturday and Sunday as my only jacket and it kept me warm even on a ride over the SBX and dry enough when it was putting some flurries down, but it will not keep you warm enough in sub zero temps and/or freezing rain. For those days I wear my hardshell over my soft.

Good luck. I'm a gear guy so I love these topics.

I have a Arc-Teryx sidewinder. I would recommend it highly, but it is a little pricey.
    The Gore-tex XCR has served me well.
    Here is a quick look a something that I might buy. top quality features and a good price.
    I have always had good luck with EMS.

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_d...=1201717801093

Here is another good deal

http://www.backcountry.com/store/CLV...cket-Mens.html

I'm in the same boat as Howie. I'd use shell skiing and hiking in NE, layering under it as conditions warranted. Price range 250-500, hopefully less. While I defer to the more experienced techs on the board below are the features I'm keen on; they are listed in rough order of importance but again I am just starting to do my homework here & welcome any advice. It's been a while since I picked up a shell and last time it was all impulse...tsk tsk on me.

Features
    Waterproof, windproof, 3 layer material
    Extremely durable rip-stop material (tree branches & I sometimes meet)
    Stoweable or removeable helmet-compatible hood
    Laminated/waterproof zippers
    Waterproof seams (taped or RF welded)
    Pit zips
    Extra pockets (min 2-3 external plus 1-2 internal), locations accessible while wearing a camelback backpack
    Articulated arms
    Full length (at or below one's arse)
    Powder skirt
    Recco avi reflector
    Adjustable cuffs
    Chin guard
    Zipper garages
    Season pass holder (sleeve or fold-down)
    Kitchen sink
    Foreman's grill stowage

If this had a helmet-compatabile hood then this rig would be a strong candidate:
    http://<br /> <a href="http://www.e...4753</a><br />

The previously noted CLOUDVEIL Men's Koven Jacket is on sale at EMS for 199; thanks for that suggestion
    No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)

Have this...

....North Face piece. Bought two winters ago in the now defunct Orange color. I had tried it on in shops.

http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/32509/#readreviews

But I, like a few note in reviews, hated the non stowable, not helmet compatible hood, bunching up behind my neck and flapping around. Suck design ! I got mine on backcountry.com at about 50% of retail in a deal that they had on the web for about 36 hours.

After getting the coat, I went to the North Face website. They have a gal who does technical clothing alterations and customizations. She....

1. cut off the stock hood, and put a zipper edge on it.

2. Put a zipper edge on the coat.

3. Blocked out to my measurements and custom sewed a Gore-Tex XCR helmet compatible storm hood with all the bells and whistles (drawstrings, mini visor cover to clear goggles) and this has a zipper edge.

Therefore, I can now use: 1) custom stock hood for hiking/light use, and 2) the storm hood (which I keep folded in pocket when not in use - it's about small burrito size) for skiing. System works out great, and the jacket's "achilles heel" is now not a problem. I can really batten down the hatches on this beast, and the most brutally cold days can be laughed at with the right layering. All seams and zippers and the rest of the jacket's design is, imho, really nice.

Of course, much of the money I originally saved in the deal went back into the coat....but it ended up being about a $400 total, and two seasons of HARD use in the jacket have me very pleased.

Please note The North Face has their "for college kids to wear around in NYC" series pieces......and their SERIOUS technical clothing series. The former....well, not so great. The latter....still very, very good, imho. You can't go wrong with any of the current top manufacturer's (My arcteryx gore bibs are the best ever !), but keep that hood issue in mind when buying. Surprising more manufacturer's aren't taking the helmet thing into consideration in their designs.

Boze,

Try this

http://www.backcountry.com/store/ARC...cket-Mens.html

It is the newer version of mine. The more I wear it, the more I like it. Mine is Gore-tex XCR, this is their newest and best fabric.
    It also claims to have a stowable hood, which mine does not. Big ching, but really well made, and fits really well.

Thanks. After trolling through numerous options, the Sidewinder AR hits all of my key feature needs...and then some. Now that I'm settled on the jacket, I can move into 'find a deal' mode, to score this bad boy for something less than a car payment!
    No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)

Good luck. Deals on A-t are few and far between.

I discovered a minor shortcoming. (at least on last year's model) There is no large pocket on the inside to stow your skins. This is easily overcome, and reveals that the sidewinder is clearly designed for lift serve.