Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    John -- Please don't post any pictures of powder, sunsets, beautiful mountains, country roads, or any of the other delicacies of the Mad River Valley on this site. You must stop now. Cease and desist from showing us Digger's ear to ear smile. And, please, I'm begging you, do NOT show any shots of John Egan doing what we all wish we could do. Clearly, this is not the proper forum. Instead, fire us up, get us stoked, sock to to us. Fire us up so we can bear the ride up (with, or course, some nourishment from Lui Lui's in West Lebanon). From now, give us only pictures of rocks, grass, ice, sticks, whalebacks, etc. The more misery the better. Rock and roll.

Snow's comin'. Everything is going to be O.K. Steady as she goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale
    Snow's comin'. Everything is going to be O.K. Steady as she goes.
    Aighhhhhhhhhhhhhh Captain!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    Quote Originally Posted by freeheel_skier
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    I don't get why people need to see pictures of the damage. I am assuming that most of the people in here are experienced enough to know what is going on by just watching the weather. Personally I don't even worry. I just go up every weekend and Ski!!! Conditions are irrelevant.

If you have to know then call your friends that live or work at the mountain and inquire. There is no substitute for first hand reports.
    I dunno either. I guess some of it might be the morbid curiosity factor in all of us.
    As Greg stated, that's not it at all. Some people have limited opportunities to head up, and they want to know whether they should expend those opportunities to do so on a weekend when SB won't be showing it's best face. Man-made, bulletproof garbage can be found anywhere in New England, and usually much close to home for the majority of skiers. It's absolutely legitimate, and the "90% was open" statement is disingenuous in that regard. If you're going to chide people for not being up there skiing when conditions are good, then don't go radio silent when they suck. Plain and simple. Even for an employee, this approach begins to strain your credibility. Sorry if I'm not "core" enough to just come up regardless of conditions. If I wanted the company line, I'd call the snow phone.
    Hey listen...I was speaking for myself when I said all of us If I can't see misery for myself while away, I want to see it via the web. I usually don't ask for bad news. I wait for someone else to......
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Yow!
    You folks get so whipped up over the littlest things.
    Some are so quick to throw stones, and that, apparently is your "job" on this board. If someone should throw back, however, it's just "outrageous". Your feelings get hurt so easily.
    I'm pretty sure that we are all adults here.
    How's about we just smile and ride whatever there is to ride on?
    Maybe you wouldn't be so uptight if you were going to Utah with Powderpuff.

"It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba
    Yow!
    Some are so quick to throw stones, and that, apparently is your "job" on this board. If someone should throw back, however, it's just "outrageous". Your feelings get hurt so easily.
    LMAO
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Rose googles....

......changed over to a clear lens this morning at 7:00 am
    Been snowing here in the MR Valley for a few hours now, without wind
    Plow has come up the driveway twice this morning.

Should snow until noon today, then again tomorrow.
    No need to use your imagination........

Yow!

"Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Skied wed/thurs

Mad River had basically one or two choices for getting top to bottom. The steeps were all closed. The rest were fast and groomed flat. Did I mention fast? Almost all the cross trails were closed, so you didn't need to slow at intersections. Haven't ever slid much faster there.

The bush was icier, and fast. Snowmaking on spring fling made it the choice, but I skied other stuff like steins and organgrinder. Flat and fast. Sharpen your skis and you'll have lot's of fun.

Yow!

The whole lot of you are simply whacko. But I love you anyway.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    Yow!

The whole lot of you are simply whacko. But I love you anyway.
    Funny, that's exactly what my wife called me last year as we drove through a field of debris on the Taconic (crash was on the other side of the roadway) in the snow on the way up for St. Pattys day weekend.

I think what you deal with here is a flatlander disorder known as snow angst, clinacly refered to as Elevation Seperation Anxiety. It hapopens all the time. That is why we flatlanders jones for photos and mountain info. Last year at this time this powerful disorder was fueled by an absence of snow. This year it is the unusual abundance of early snow and then to have Ma Nature ruthlessly return to New England norms. Symptoms of ESA include electronic sirliness. Remember how touchy feely everyone got just after MLK. Just wait for it. It's a comin'. Oh, it's comin'

Wanting updates on conditions, perfectly legit. If someone wants to volunteer to do that type of autopsy photography, fine. Asking SB staff to photograph and post bare ground, a little insensative imho.

What I do find suspicious, however, is the lack of photos of the fried squirrel.

Looking forward to what I hope is a treacherous drive tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale
    Looking forward to what I hope is a treacherous drive tonight.
    Appreciate the sentiment but the snow has stopped, beautiful blue sky and with the warm temps it shouldn't be too bad, tho I can't speak for the conditions downcountry from here but checking in with 1-800-ICY-ROAD should be able to give you some insight as to the other roads in Vermont.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

I had a nice ride on the lit with Greg and a nice couple of runs with him and his friends , so let him tell you what it was like today!

These are from Wednesday, but I had to share. Egan in his element. Castlerock.

Enjoy!

John