Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Natural trail status

I see all the good stuff at LP is still open. How are the natural trails off Castlerock and Heaven's Gate skiing?

On the weekend they were an adventure. Not sure how much Monday improved things.

It's all a matter of perception. Mine is like this....On upper mountain terain that was not groomed you have 6" of newsnow on a 1 to 2 foot layer of rain soaked snow with a 1/4" layer of frozen rain on top. It was edgeable on Sunday but just barely. Now with this new 6" I would say that the lower angle slopes are sking good but I bet steeper stuff got skied off in a hurry. In the end I am sure if you know were to look the skiing is just fine..
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Re: Natural trail status

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    I see all the good stuff at LP is still open. How are the natural trails off Castlerock and Heaven's Gate skiing?

It's wicked pissah!

Really.

Everything is coming around very nicely. The snow yesterday did wonders. Friday's snow will be awesome.
    "It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."

Quit lying Dave. It still sucks really bad.

Horrible conditions on Liftline today.

More of the same.

Lap #5, just as bad as the first.

John

I would say that qualifies as improvement over Saturday morning.

Hit up both ME and LP today,
    The groomers are getting much better. Did a run on liftline also,was fun-a lot of crusty under that 4-6"but fun.Over at ME the gun snow on cruiser was nice and dry. FIS in full FIS form,lower still closed as should be. Skiers right from mid-point down on upper-nice. Tumbler better that the chatter fest that was last weekend. Al in all things looking up .Doing the snow dance.
    JC

That is much better than I expected to hear.

Its Great to see photos again after it snows.Funny when Greg asked for damage photos the company cameras were silent.

Today: Sunny, with a high near 20. North wind between 3 and 7 mph.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 0. Calm wind.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 30. Calm wind becoming south around 6 mph. Winds could gust as high as 22 mph.

Thursday Night: Snow likely, mainly after 4am. Cloudy, with a low around 22. South wind between 5 and 9 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Friday: Periods of snow, mainly before noon. High near 30. Southwest wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Friday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 14. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday: A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 21. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Saturday Night: A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 4. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Sunday: A chance of snow showers. Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 8. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -13.

M.L.King Day: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 6.

Monday Night: A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around -6. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

NOAA from 1673' local forcasters saying some mixed Friday.which could mean haevy snow that would fill and bond allowing the final few trails to open

Quote Originally Posted by Go Figure
    Its Great to see photos again after it snows.Funny when Greg asked for damage photos the company cameras were silent.
    Indeed.

NOAA from 1673' local forcasters saying some mixed Friday.which could mean haevy snow that would fill and bond allowing the final few trails to open
    But what does it say for 2932' in elevation? My Magic Eight Ball says a high of 26 degrees. Could always be warmer higher up, but I get the sense this is all snow.

Sorry I didn't have the time to shoot photos of random patches of grass. 90+% of the terrain was open and I was busy shooting the bump comp and doing other work. Next time, I'll get my priorities straight.

John

I don't get why people need to see pictures of the damage. I am assuming that most of the people in here are experienced enough to know what is going on by just watching the weather. Personally I don't even worry. I just go up every weekend and Ski!!! Conditions are irrelevant.

If you have to know then call your friends that live or work at the mountain and inquire. There is no substitute for first hand reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    I don't get why people need to see pictures of the damage. I am assuming that most of the people in here are experienced enough to know what is going on by just watching the weather. Personally I don't even worry. I just go up every weekend and Ski!!! Conditions are irrelevant.

If you have to know then call your friends that live or work at the mountain and inquire. There is no substitute for first hand reports.
    I don't have the luxury of going up every weekend. Typically, I have to plan trips ahead of time and only get up to the MRV a handful of times each season. Just nice to know what the conditions are really like.

I have a great idea. We need to implement the Lostone daily report. I think his objective reporting would be a nice feature. He is at the mountain every day....

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk

People express interest because that is why they are looking in, here. Some do come up every weekend, but some haven't been up, and are looking for good conditions. There are a lot more people looking in then those that post. Check out the number of views of topics, as opposed to the amount of replies.

That is one of the major purposes of the board.

As for the 90% open, I have to say I feel much of that is thru force of will. Been down Lower Birdland? Middle Domino? They are open, and there are a few that go down them, but those are tough trails, right now, and they aren't seeing a lot of traffic.

That said, Skiing is quite good. I've had a great time, Monday thru yesterday. (Might have been good Sunday, but my memory doesn't go that far back. )

But to give the impression that we have similar to what we had in December, would be dishonest. We have New England skiing.

Would I come up if I was a weekend warrior? Almost definitely. Is there fun to be had here? If you try, you can find it. If you can't find it... you didn't try hard enough. The vast majority are saying they are having a great time. Are all the open trails good? Good to who? They're good to someone.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.