Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    NICE! Where is the cell phone tower powered by a wind turbine?

"Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Quote Originally Posted by freeheel_skier
    It's not likely to see a new "obvious" cell phone tower built on the mountain, or anywhere in any natural state of Vermont. I've been trying to get Verizon to get some antennaes built somewhere on an existing installation on the mountain (top of L/P or top of North Ridge), but to no avail so far. Priorities right now are Rt 9 corridor in southern VT. But that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay
    It's not likely to see a new "obvious" cell phone tower built on the mountain, or anywhere in any natural state of Vermont. I've been trying to get Verizon to get some antennaes built somewhere on an existing installation on the mountain (top of L/P or top of North Ridge), but to no avail so far. Priorities right now are Rt 9 corridor in southern VT. But that's another story.
    I was being facetious

[

It's not likely to see a new "obvious" cell phone tower built on the mountain, or anywhere in any natural state of Vermont. I've been trying to get Verizon to get some antennaes built somewhere on an existing installation on the mountain (top of L/P or top of North Ridge), but to no avail so far. Priorities right now are Rt 9 corridor in southern VT. But that's another story.[/quote]

You must be doing a hell of a job as there is a cell array on the top of Northridge.

Sugarbush already has a Unicel cell tower, assumably the not so obvious one FS mentions, so if your phone doesn't work it's cause you have the wrong carrier. It's so tall most don't even know it exits. A few years ago a company from Maine proposed putting in several cell towers along the ridges along I89 but as you can imagine they didn't get to far with that idea.

I think cell phones should be confiscated at the borders as I know it will make folks much less stressful when they come Vermont to supposably chill out. The increase in family walkie talkies are starting to get very annoying as well. Your kids will be fine without parents knowing what they are doing every second of the day.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    Sugarbush already has a Unicel cell tower so if your phone doesn't work it's cause you have the wrong carrier. It's so tall most don't even know it exits.
    Having great cell service on mtn is really helpful when you have multiple little kids to track. Can't wait till I can get a chip implanted in them.

Sugarbush already has a Unicel cell tower, assumably the not so obvious one FS mentions, so if your phone doesn't work it's cause you have the wrong carrier. It's so tall most don't even know it exits. A few years ago a company from Maine proposed putting in several cell towers along the ridges along I89 but as you can imagine they didn't get to far with that idea.

I think cell phones should be confiscated at the borders as I know it will make folks much less stressful when they come Vermont to supposably chill out. The increase in family walkie talkies are starting to get very annoying as well. Your kids will be fine without parents knowing what they are doing every second of the day.
    I agree with the walkie talkies.....how did my brothers(3) and I find my parents with out one???? Oh yeh, We waited at the bottom of the hill.....when/where they told us to be there

I agree with the walkie talkies.....how did my brothers(3) and I find my parents with out one???? Oh yeh, We waited at the bottom of the hill.....when/where they told us to be there
    I've done the walkie talkie/meet at the bottom thing, but it is not as efficient or reliable in transmitting information as text messaging on the cell phone. Could we live without it, certainly. But I would be more stressed without the cell service than with it. I have a wife and two kids and keeping everyone coordinated is essential. Also, I have been lucky enough to be able to ski in VT instead of being in my office in NY in large part because I can be reached by cell phone/e-mail. If that wasn't available I don't know that I would be able to spend as much time on the mtn.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2

I've done the walkie talkie/meet at the bottom thing, but it is not as efficient or reliable in transmitting information as text messaging on the cell phone. Could we live without it, certainly. But I would be more stressed without the cell service than with it. I have a wife and two kids and keeping everyone coordinated is essential. Also, I have been lucky enough to be able to ski in VT instead of being in my office in NY in large part because I can be reached by cell phone/e-mail. If that wasn't available I don't know that I would be able to spend as much time on the mtn.

Howie,
    I have a wife and 2 kids as well. I want to keep tabs on them while on the mountain and I agree txt works best. I usually do the meet and greet thing (works for me maybe not others).
    I jsut have no patients for people who think that I am interested in their phone conversation while sharing a chairlift ride with them(not you per se). Thank goodness this doesn't happen often. I contemplated jumping off the chairlift once. The guy was a really "loud talker". It also bothers me when the walkie talkies are alerting/beeping. Half the time it is for someone other than the person I happen to be riding the lift with because 19 other people are sharing the same channel! I say keep the volume down and put the phone on vibrate.

I have a job in sales and play hooky often When on the mtn I keep my crackberry usage to a minimum and in/outside the lodge. However, I do send really convining emails to my customers that I am looking out for their best interests while sipping hot tea in front of the fireplace @ Allyn's

Now when skiing or mtn biking with friends we have a no cellphone protocol. Whoever breaks protocol buys post ride/apres beers!

cell phone coverage

I am also in sales and need to be conected when I'm up at the Bush. An easy solution that has worked for me was to buy a "pay as you go" Unicel phone that I only use when I am in Vermont. The phone was $50 + $10/month + .10/min and no long term contract. When I get to exit 5 on 89, I forward all my Verizon calls to the Unicel phone. (*72) I have excellent coverage and it is seamless for my customers or anyone that is trying to get hold of me. The good news is Verizon bought Unicel last summer, so sometime in the near future I will be able to drop my Unicel phone and just use my Verizon phone in the Valley. I agree about phone usage in public places and make a big effort not to ruin anyones "wilderness experience" while I am on the phone.

Re: cell phone coverage

Quote Originally Posted by djd66
    I agree about phone usage in public places and make a big effort not to ruin anyones "wilderness experience" while I am on the phone.
    It's just as bad in the lodge, cafeteria, the AG shop and even the bathroom...not exactly "wilderness experiences". Bathrooms should be a relaxing expereince, not hearing some guy yelling in his walkie-talkie demanding that his son help his little brother to put his helmet on..............
    Sugarbusher since 1970

Re: cell phone coverage

Quote Originally Posted by djd66
    I agree about phone usage in public places and make a big effort not to ruin anyones "wilderness experience" while I am on the phone.
    It's just as bad in the lodge, cafeteria, the AG shop and even the bathroom...not exactly "wilderness experiences". Bathrooms should be a relaxing expereince, not hearing some guy yelling in his walkie-talkie demanding that his son help his little brother to put his helmet on..............
    There are rude, loud people with and without cellphones/walkie talkies. I try to keep my conversations to myself and text message whenever possible. I did get a phone call while enjoying first tracks on Paradise before New Years. Annoying to me, but no one else.

Interesting about Verizon buying Unicell. Does that mean that ATT will in the future not be using the unicell network? I had always assumed that the reason that ATT worked on Unicell and Verizon did not, was because of technological incompatibility, ATT being GSM and Verizon CDMA. Is this not the case?

Alright .... the other story:

From what I gathered about the VZW/Unicel merger, some existing towers on Unicel will go to AT&T so that people can use the IPhone. Not all of them are changing hands, though.
    VZW and Unicel work on two seperate networks, and changing a tower over to VZW would most likely require completely new equipment, and most likely new antennaes. I know up at the Bush there is Sprint coverage since I used to have full bars when I had Sprint, guessing because they were an ASC sponsor in the late 90s.

I'm for cell service in the Valley, but not in the essence of it to be expoited by parents/children while on the slopes. Every time I go riding, no matter where I am, the phone stays in the truck, and at the Bush - it gets turned off (otherwise battery would go dead).

Remember the days when we all went to school - there were no cell phones. Nowadays, parents demand kids have cell phones in school in case they need to get in touch with their kids. Well here's a thought ... do what my parents did, and call the school! They know where you should be.

There's always the time, however, when you're driving around the Valley and all of a sudden, go off the road into a ditch and need to call for assistance. Me having VZW, I'm s-o-l, unless a friendly Unicel motorist comes up.

There are rude people no matter what, not just on cell phones. How bout those that stop right in the middle of the trail? Or the motorists who drive around in a raging blizzard without headlights on. Or those that.... well........ you get the idea.

Jay

"That's my opinion..... What's Yours"

From what I gathered about the VZW/Unicel merger, some existing towers on Unicel will go to AT&T so that people can use the IPhone. Not all of them are changing hands, though.
    VZW and Unicel work on two seperate networks, and changing a tower over to VZW would most likely require completely new equipment, and most likely new antennaes. I know up at the Bush there is Sprint coverage since I used to have full bars when I had Sprint, guessing because they were an ASC sponsor in the late 90s.

I'm for cell service in the Valley, but not in the essence of it to be expoited by parents/children while on the slopes. Every time I go riding, no matter where I am, the phone stays in the truck, and at the Bush - it gets turned off (otherwise battery would go dead).

Remember the days when we all went to school - there were no cell phones. Nowadays, parents demand kids have cell phones in school in case they need to get in touch with their kids. Well here's a thought ... do what my parents did, and call the school! They know where you should be.

There's always the time, however, when you're driving around the Valley and all of a sudden, go off the road into a ditch and need to call for assistance. Me having VZW, I'm s-o-l, unless a friendly Unicel motorist comes up.

I know t-mobile works and that is GSM also.

As for waxing nostalgic for the days before cell phones, email, message boards, etc. well those days are gone forever. Me, I'm glad I can ski more because I can communicate with my wife and kids.

There are rude people no matter what, not just on cell phones. How bout those that stop right in the middle of the trail? Or the motorists who drive around in a raging blizzard without headlights on. Or those that.... well........ you get the idea.

Jay

Jay

I don't think you would be SOL at all. I bet within a minute of you going off the road into a ditch people would stop to first make sure your okay and then they would try to get your car back on the road or at the very least use their cellphone to call for assistance.
    Sugarbusher since 1970