Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ads! and other assorted lift tower paraphenalia

Seems like the Bush has sold some advertising space, or is more actively acknowledging their sponsors, with ads on the lift towers. Spotted them today for the first time on the GMX and the Summit at ME. Harkened back to the days of ASC ownership with tacky "welcome" "thank you for visiting" "visit our other 10 resorts" placards that they placed on Bravo, Gate House, and others during their tenure.

Also, there are new (this season) yellow warning signs, but in most cases, the old red ones remain, so there's a little redundancy. Looks like they forgot the North Lynx again, as there is no sign advertising the get-off until the ramp itself.

Just some observations on a snowy day today - legs were hurting after a couple runs. Gonna try to get some in tomorrow AM before the next storm hits and enjoy my last day of vacation. Back to work Wed in the woods of VT on snowshoes and in 10 deg weather. Looking forward to a nice quiet next weekend on the slopes.

Ads schmads...don't get pissed off...MUCH better to be "off-pissed"

Just ribbin' as usual - enjoy the riding Jay man!
    Altitude is Everything

After a day of riding like today, I'm not pissed one bit! A complete 180 for me vs NYE. Whereas on Monday I was cursing my freakin' sore feet, exhausted from the powder after just one run, and only staying 2 hours, today I made up for it with carving the courdoroy/packed powder and a couple inches of new fluff on my fav runs with a smile on my face, and seeing how fast I could rip it from the summit to the base of the Summit Quad, oftentimes beating the chair I was in by 15-20 chairs. And I would'a stayed longer, but my feet were telling me to rest. I could feel a little tripping up on my last sprint down Cruiser. Better to cut it short after 3 1/2 hours, and ride another day, then take one more run, mess up, and have to take a week (or more) off.

And now, a brief poem, by shadyjay:

Awesome Conditions Today
    I'd Stay
    But I'll Be Back
    To Ride on Saturday

And from that great unknown poet Lo-ston-e:

Today is at an end
    but it is no great sorrow
    for I'll be there to ski again
    bright and early, tomorrow.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

It's also too bad they have installed that annoying electronic sign at the base of Bravo. It spits out nothing but ads and generally seems out of place at SB or in the MRV as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    It's also too bad they have installed that annoying electronic sign at the base of Bravo. It spits out nothing but ads and generally seems out of place at SB or in the MRV as a whole.
    There are more than one and I think they are kinda cool. You guys have so much neon in the city/suburbia, can't we have alittle sign or two for fun. Like mini stadium signs I don't really pay much attentione to them but don't they give the time and temp as well as ads?

generally seems out of place at SB or in the MRV as a whole.
    I can see where you might feel it seems out of place at the Bush but since people driving thu the MRV and many who live in the valley don't even know the signs exist I don't get the connection with the MRV.

www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

[quote="ski_resort_observer"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    generally seems out of place at SB or in the MRV as a whole.
    I can see where you might feel it seems out of place at the Bush but since people driving thu the MRV and many who live in the valley don't even know the signs exist I don't get the connection with the MRV.
    That's a little disingenuous. When you (or anyone else who has passed through the Valley for more than 5 seconds) think of the MRV, what images come to mind? If it's flashing neon signs, then you need to report to the medical tent immediately - the brown acid is clearly taking its toll.

For the last 30 years, Sugarbush has sold and marketed itself, in one guise or another, as "Pure Vermont". That may not be the slogan du jour, but it's no mistake that Clay Brook was built to look like a big barn. Win is a major fixture in the community and has been quoted numerous times extolling its virtues such as having no traffic lights. If they are going to start cluttering up the joint with ads and neon (yes, it's just one sign, for now), it will start to look and feel just like any other industrial skiing venue. To me, that seems antithetical to the culture and vibe that make SB different, special and great. Ultimately, what will drive the bottom line is the quality of the guest experience, primarily in the form of the on-hill product. I don't see how these ads contribute anything to the guest experience.

All I am going to say is "Nice photoshop work, SRO!"
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

That's a nice photo of Bubba.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

My .02: The signs should go. I don't mind being solicited, but the signs do seem out of character. Not to mention anyone who suffers from any type of optical stimulated medical concern such as migrains they're actually a hazzard. My wife can't even look at them.

I'm with Tin, on this one.

I think they're ugly.

And I haven't seen the time and temperature on them since they set them up.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

The debate reminds me of the people who complain about signage at Fenway Park-- like its a church or something--Sugarbush is a business, not a national park and the owners would be negligent if they didnt squeeze every last cent from their venture--especially if it keeps season pass prices down.

It's not a church, but there is one on the premises!

p.s. they are totally ugly. If they want to make money, they should just cover the lifties in patches a la Nascar. That would be way classier....

A couple things here...

1. when i started this thread, i was just doing it as an fyi. personally i have no problem with the signs on the towers, just was stating a fact. The ASC signs I thought were tacky since they were promoting themselves.

2. personally i have no problem with the colored electronic signs. they do say "think snow" which is totally appropriate. they also have the bush logo, usfs logo, and such. and they're only at the bravo and the gate house. in no way do i see this as destroying the character of the MRV. these are not giant-sized billboards posted along our highways or even backroads. believe me - i've been there - i lived in ct for most of my life until 2005 and had to deal with horrendous advertising everywhere. a little colored sign is not a big deal at 2 lift corrals. could be worse - there could be ads attached to the light poles in the parking lots, billboards on the access road, or even worse, a mcdonalds or a traffic light on a 4-lane access road.

3. half of the clocks over at mt ellen have not yet been adjusted for the time change - the gmx clock said 10:00 when i was there at 9am on new years day. The Inverness clocks were spun around so that there's no confusion. Plus the old style electronic sign at the gmx is tough to read and flashes nothing but the date and time. not really helpful and doesn't get your attention like lincoln peak's 2 colorized versions.

As someone also said, I have no problem with a little ad here and there. This is a business first, and if we want the Bush to continue to succeed in this era of global warming and "staying green", then a little ad is no prob if it means sponsors are putting their money towards the mtn, and the mtn is giving us all one heck of a product, especially so far this season. And hopefully it'll continue (next week's warmup appears to be, according to weather.com, shortlived).

Thanks noski but to be honest I don't own photoshop but I am very proud of my avatar on snowjournal.com as it took me awhile to get that one to look decent.

Hawk...which person is Bubba?
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.