Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: straight skis

straight skis

Does anybody still like to ski on straight skis? After years of skiing on shaped skis, I still sometimes take out my straight salomons and enjoy them.

Re: straight skis

Quote Originally Posted by happygirl
    Does anybody still like to ski on straight skis? After years of skiing on shaped skis, I still sometimes take out my straight salomons and enjoy them.
    Definitely. You're much better off on a straight ski in the bumps than an all-mountain, powder, or alpine carving ski. And since all I ski is bumps.......

Absolutly. That is pretty much what I skied on before I started Tele. They are fun to break out every now and then.

----Doesn't Plake only ski on looonng skinnies???

A couple of years ago I was at ski market in MA. and they were like giving away brand new straight skis, so I bought 2 of them for $40 a set. The funny thing is I have such a blast on them! I love these salomons!

Since shortly after I started skiing a lot, I've had a quiver of skis.

When I added shaped skis to the quiver, I found I had real problems switching back to straights. I would try to turn, and they would totally ignore me. I would sometimes be panicking by the time I remembered to jump on them. Still I kept some and occasionally used them, but as the amount of shaped skis in the quiver increased, the straights skied less.

When I moved up here, I knew I would have less room, so some of my skis would not make the journey. All the straights, as well as 3 pair of longer shapes (192) stayed behind.

We had a give-away area in the condo association I lived in. I put them in htere, and they all got picked up by someone. Maybe they're still out there.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

there is a rumor they burn well.

There is a nasty rumor the straight skis burn well in the preseason Ullr tribute campfires.

been valley enthusiast since 1620

I'd be pretty happy with a pair of yellow 195 7s'. I think that might have been Rossi's last good production ski.

They've made a couple others.............

Think the XXX and the B squad work pretty well as production skis. They seem to work just fine in this shot.

Has anybody tried the Volkl Rebellions this year for bump skis? They look pretty good. That is my kind of ski. I find fat skis to dam heavy at times. AHM- thats a pretty awesome photo. Where was that taken?

Photo location

Happygirl: The shot was taken in Feb 2006 outside La Grave France in the Freax Couloir. The ski, although a bit buried, is the Rossi XXX. I seem to like fat skis as bump skis. The XXX, narrow by current standards, is 90 mm under the foot. Hope it dumps Thurs into Fri and this season's snow piles up like last years.....................

AHM, looks a bit like the top of Hillmans or the Left Gully ( except for the background - and yea, that much powder!) They both have that little right turn near the top. Actually, LG has a slight left turn. Nice pic. great snow. Climbed or lift-serviced?

La Grave..........

JWT: The shot is a total of 7000 vertical, with the couloir being 3000 verts. There is one lift at La Grave and it is about 7000 verts, there are no runs and no avalanche management. To get to Freax takes some time, no touring, but if you don't know where it is, you could easily not come home as there are numerous terminal cliffs. Have fun, coming weekend looking pretty good!

Couloir skiing.............

Here's a couple interesting shots from La Voute. La Voute is in the current Cloudveil catalog. There's a couple rappels and then the untracked reward. These are from 2006.........it was deeper in 2007, but more videos vs pics.

AHM- Thank you for the pictures! Very nice...

AHM"Have fun, coming weekend looking pretty good!"

Yea, but not that much fun! Did you do it guided, or were you simply using maps,directions? I see you were displaying da 'Bush moniker on your hat ( not helmet!). . .but I guess you fall there, the helmet will not do much good anyway.

Real nice advanture. . .I like adventure. . . . .gets the stomach doing willies. . . . the natural drug. . . .and allows you to speak to God in a really meaniful way - like 'please keep me alive!'

Any vids of that kinda stuff AHM?