Thread: Damage?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Damage?

How bad was the damage from the last storm in terms of loss of depth where it needs to be?

Re: Damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    How bad was the damage from the last storm in terms of loss of depth where it needs to be?
    I can't quantify an answer, but the mtn is back to classic NE conditions, if you know what I mean. I for one, was getting tired from all that powder in the trees. The groomers were riding firm and fast.

Not really much depth loss. Maybe 6 or 8". It's conditions that are the problem. The groomers are not too bad. Machine groomed/frozen granular. New England conditions. But the ungroomed is pretty rock solid. I dug down into the surface yesterday, and what's under the .5" coating of ice is actually nice snow. So if lots of holiday skiers ski the ungroomed stuff this week, we'll be back in great shape pretty soon.

You skied today? I'll eventually get around to a TR on AlpineZone, but Stowe got 5-7" yesterday and today was good all things considered. There was definitely a crust underneath on ungroomed, natural trails and in the woods, and the groomed stuff was hard packed rather than packed powder, but it was much improved over yesterday AM. Yesterday AM it was frozen granular, ice chunks. By the end of yesterday it had improved greatly and today was fun. The original plan was to go to Sugarbush today, but we were under the impression that Sugarbush didn't get as much new snow (though I don't think they got as much rain either).
    -Kenny

Please stay away from the mountain. The conditions are horrible. You won't have any fun in the soft corn on North Lynx and Castlerock. The bright sun is out too, making me squint. I really don't like that.

And once it snows tomorrow, we expect the conditions to continue to worsen. Stay tuned for updates on bad the skiing is.

Blazer Liam ripping the bumps on Sunrise today.

John

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    Please stay away from the mountain. The conditions are horrible. You won't have any fun in the soft corn on North Lynx and Castlerock. The bright sun is out too, making me squint. I really don't like that.

And once it snows tomorrow, we expect the conditions to continue to worsen. Stay tuned for updates on bad the skiing is.

Blazer Liam ripping the bumps on Sunrise today.

John
    Wow, nice form.

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    You won't have any fun in the soft corn on North Lynx and Castlerock. The bright sun is out too, making me squint. I really don't like that.
    Nice call on the Castlerock run today. After I saw you, as I was going up Bravo, I realized that you were talking about the Castlerock run specifically and not the lift/trail pod. Then upon remembering the southern aspect of Castlerock and Bail Out, and having previously been enjoying the man made and sun softened North Lynx, we headed there directly. Nice soft snow.

Now all we need is some fresh to renew the woods and all will be good again.

north was not bad at all.

north was faaaast. you could not really lay into turns all the way, but the groomers.. a toast to the groomers!
    been valley enthusiast since 1620

Re: north was not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by outofshape
    north was faaaast. you could not really lay into turns all the way, but the groomers.. a toast to the groomers!
    I'll echo that. After doing groomers all day with my son, we couldn't resist one run down Terminator. It was .....not nearly as bad as I feared. Ice yes, but not glacial and there actually was some snow on the lower portion.

Forecast is not encouraging. We need a big assist from Ullr.

I wanted to try the bumps...

But my daughter was in Mach 3 mode and I spent my day chasing after her. I was a proud but terrified Dad today. My wife and father in law got smoked by her from the start and I had to shift into Darth Vader hovering over the X Wings.

Was some of that loose snow settling in the bumps to make them a little more forgiving?
    been valley enthusiast since 1620

Re: I wanted to try the bumps...

Quote Originally Posted by outofshape
    But my daughter was in Mach 3 mode and I spent my day chasing after her. I was a proud but terrified Dad today. My wife and father in law got smoked by her from the start and I had to shift into Darth Vader hovering over the X Wings.

Was some of that loose snow settling in the bumps to make them a little more forgiving?
    The lower portion was not that bumped up and the snow was spread about.