Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Mt. Ellen love thread

Well, at summitchallenger's suggestion, here it is... the Mt. Ellen love thread.

Post what you love about Mt. Ellen. No political discussion (which should open first, which should close last, etc.) is necessary. Just share the love for Vermont's greatest mountain! (well, in MY opinion, anyway )

Here are two reasons I love Mt. Ellen:

Among many others, of course.

The view from the top
    the back deck of GML for apres ski
    lack of crowds
    the slow Inverness lift which everyone hates which means semi-tough and brambles usually have no other skiers on it.
    the fact that it opens later so the conditions will be fantastic when the lifts start spinning
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

The fireplace in the base lodge...

One word.......Bravinator (Bravo to Exterminator bump lines topping it off with Cliffs, Tumbler or Encore. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Nothing gets the saliva running like that except maybe Jessica Alba handing out hostess cupcakes and Longtrail in a leopard print fur lined bikini.

Second reason..... The deck in the spring. Sitting out on the deck on a quiet day withe the sun beating down, Longtrail in hand and people enjoying the slopes. The lodge has such and old rustic charm to it that it brings you back to better days. I can really just loose myself on that deck.

Too many things to list...

That feeling you get when you stand at the top of FIS and peer down....
    Skiing FIS on a pow day
    FIS to Lower FIS...and having the lower part all to yourself!
    The view from the top
    Black Diamond on a spring corn day
    Exterminator
    Riding up the Summit Quad as you go into the final steep climb
    Ripping arcs down Elbow
    When you pull onto Route 17 and look up....
    Having Brambles all to yourself on a week day.
    Flying down Rim Run on a cold day and having Glen House to warm up in....
    Watching a pro hit the cliffs on Encore at the top...

Oh yeah...and RIP Zip and Spread Eagle...as discussed some years back on RSN the best trails at Ellen which are no more

How about spending all day in the woods (nobody mentioned all the upper mountain woods) and then having a beer while you watch people fall on their heads in the half pipe. Nothing quite like listening to a live band where the songs are punctuated by half of the people in the bar gasping and yelling "oooh" in unison after someone does a face-plant in the half pipe.

Maybe once the Valley House is gone we can try and replicate that at South.

MtnMan
    Operative word(s)...ability to find a seat and get a beer within 20min! Not too mention Billy Caldwell on the guitar..."old school feel."
    Exterminator-Tumbler-lather, rinse and repeat, you got it!

ah.... Mt Ellen..........

Showin' some love.................
    The views from the top
    The GMX - restored to its rightful length (though I don't like the get-off)
    The Northridge - 1000X better than the 15-min double it replaced, and nary a line (usually)
    Summit Quad - slow but permits the perfect "get back up the hill" lift
    Inverness Pod - the quietest area on the Mountain - Walt's, Semi, and Brambles!!!
    Panorama / Rim Run - "did we mention the views"? Great cruising
    Glen House - perfect mid-mountain lodge. Cold beer with a view.
    The park and pipe - in their own area, with their own lift, the Sunny D, great for viewing.

And the #1 reason......... hardly ever crowded.
    I've seen the plot jammed, but noone on the mountain. Everyone must've gone to L/P since their parking must've been full. Dec 30 last year - everything open, and noone there. Yes, Dec 30, during Holiday Week.

Any Cons?
    Well, just a couple....
    - the walk from the parking lot uphill to the lift. At least at L/P, its level.
    - windholds - though we got VERY lucky last season (on multiple angles)
    - the fact that its not the late season mountain anymore. Late-season upper mtn with a band and a beer on the Glen House deck can't be beat!

See you soon, ole' gal. You've got many friends. Keep it up with what you've been doing since your creation....

Jay

Jim & Billy @ Green Mountain Lodge
    groomers mowing exterminator bumps.......then tucking it the whole way!
    Jim & Billy
    zipper lines on bravo to encore
    spring bumps on looking good
    bravinator
    zipper lines on cliffs
    woods
    ripping down scotch mist(like the old skool names) aka black diamond
    double fall lines on tumbler & hammerhead
    Jim & Billy
    Hiking & skiing FIS when ME is closed for the season
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Some good stuff here....

"Just one more run down FIS" - over and over times infinity till you can't stand.

Some great responses thus far.

Here are a few things to add to the list:

>Bumps... FIS, Black Diamond, Bravo, Exterm, Lower FIS, Tumbler, Cliffs, Hammy, Encore, Semi-Tough, etc. Best bumps in New England
    >True 2600' vertical (unlike claims at places like Killington, which is really only 1600 skiable continuous vert, btw)
    >Views from the Summit
    >Lower FIS, bumps or not. Love the serenity and the character
    >Hammerhead -- classic New England character
    >Good 'ol base lodge -- that one's a keeper. Love the old-school vibe, and the fireplace! Oh, and the great views from the deck!
    >Live music in the Green Mountain Lounge
    >First chair on GMX and then on NRX on a powder day
    >Glen House, especially on a bluebird day out on the deck and on freezing cold days to take a mid-mountain coffee break
    >The plethora of marked and unmarked woods
    >Little gems like the old T-Bar line beside snowflake
    >Watching a line of Ratnik Snowgiant V's (and some Sugarbush custom-welded II+II+II triple barrels) blasting on Riemergasse
    >A casual traverse across Northway
    >Inverness area on a powder day
    >The lack of crowding, even when it's really busy (thanks to the fantastic lift distribution)
    >The staff (Mopey, John, Rick, Nate, Gary, Larry, just to name a few of the fine folks making things happen at ME)
    >The aesthetic beauty of the mountain layout (except the atrocity that is Inverness trail)
    >Spring patrol BBQ's at Summit and Mid-Station
    >The future potential

I could go on, but I think I'll cap it there for now

So much love!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardbooter
    How about spending all day in the woods (nobody mentioned all the upper mountain woods) and then having a beer while you watch people fall on their heads in the half pipe. Nothing quite like listening to a live band where the songs are punctuated by half of the people in the bar gasping and yelling "oooh" in unison after someone does a face-plant in the half pipe.

Maybe once the Valley House is gone we can try and replicate that at South.
    That's over - the "pipe" (such as it is) is on Sunny D now...no more "eye sore"

My fav ME things? - Black Diamond bumps, racing on Inverness and Exterm woods.
    Altitude is Everything