Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I love the woods at ME but all this talk is making me antsy. Think snow.

Did anyone here ever ski the old Glen Ellen? I mean looking at pics from the 1960's, including this one, it must have been something to ski.

Quote Originally Posted by summitchallenger
    Did anyone here ever ski the old Glen Ellen? I mean looking at pics from the 1960's, including this one, it must have been something to ski.
    You mean before the mountain was raped and pillaged, and every trail was widened? Nope... unfortunately, I wasn't born. But if I could take it back to what it was, I would. Just look at this:

Look at Elbow, Exterminator, FIS, Rim Run, even Cruiser and Which Way were skinny new england runs. But no... we've gotta widen everything to increase capacity. I wish it was still just like that, except with North Ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2
    all this talk is making me antsy. Think snow.
    How about the first trails open for the season at the Bush? Oh wait, what year is this?

Are those glades I see on Inverness slope???

Quote Originally Posted by BushMogulMaster
    You mean before the mountain was raped and pillaged, and every trail was widened? Nope... unfortunately, I wasn't born. But if I could take it back to what it was, I would. Just look at this:

Look at Elbow, Exterminator, FIS, Rim Run, even Cruiser and Which Way were skinny new england runs. But no... we've gotta widen everything to increase capacity. I wish it was still just like that, except with North Ridge.
    First time I skied here was with my dad in 1972 - he was complaining about trail widening even back then! What is the trail (?) leading from the ridge above Inverness down to the top of Brambles? Connector from LT / MRG? Anyone?
    Altitude is Everything

Quote Originally Posted by sugarboarder

First time I skied here was with my dad in 1972 - he was complaining about trail widening even back then! What is the trail (?) leading from the ridge above Inverness down to the top of Brambles? Connector from LT / MRG? Anyone?
    Yeah, what is that and how did one access it?

It's a liftline that was cut for an expansion that was cut short. More on that later. Gotta go to Winter Park right now.

Yes, as said, it was a liftline that was cut to expand the area to that peak above Inverness. You can still vaguely make it out...especially after a snowfall...it is grown in quite a bit. In fact, as you go onto Brambles, it is the clearing on the left. The story is that Glen Ellen began cutting and soon realized, after the clearing was done, that they did not own the land near the summit. Major oops.

Yes, as said, it was a liftline that was cut to expand the area to that peak above Inverness. You can still vaguely make it out...especially after a snowfall...it is grown in quite a bit. In fact, as you go onto Brambles, it is the clearing on the left. The story is that Glen Ellen began cutting and soon realized, after the clearing was done, that they did not own the land near the summit. Major oops.
    So I presume then, that would not be the liftline for any future expansion above Inverness?

So I presume then, that would not be the liftline for any future expansion above Inverness?
    Howie - lots of info on that here:

http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.p...ight=expansion
    Altitude is Everything

Howie - lots of info on that here:

http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.p...ight=expansion
    I recall that discussion, but I was under the impression at that time that the old lift line would be the route for any future expansion. Is the ownership of the land near the summit no longer an issue/obstacle???

Actually, ownership isn't the issue. I don't think it was then, although it's a possibility that subsequent owners have since purchased it. What I do know for a fact is that Summit Ventures currently owns to that peak, and a little past it in fact.

What I was always told was that cut (and subsequent re-growth) for Glen Ellen expansion was a direct result of a "cut first, worry about permits later" approach. Really bad idea... Lesson learned I guess. Many gripe about the permit process but the smart ones never bite the hand that feeds them!

6 DAYS UNTIL ELLEN LOVING BEGINS!!!!!!