Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Bump-any reviews of the new offerings from the hyde away and/or pine tree pub???

Let's see if I can get you caught up:

Hyde Away: Quality and creativity has bumped upward, and the prices, while still good, do reflect that upgrade.

Easy Street/Purple Moon Pub: Planning to open by the holidays for Breakfast and Lunch and then creative pub fare in the evenings. Now to be known as the Elusive Moose Pub & Eatery.

Jay's: Closed after many years for sale. Signs are looking good for microbrewery and lunch/dinner spot. Walk up counter where you order. Plans for patio seating.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Quote Originally Posted by noski View Post
    Let's see if I can get you caught up:

Hyde Away: Quality and creativity has bumped upward, and the prices, while still good, do reflect that upgrade.

Easy Street/Purple Moon Pub: Planning to open by the holidays for Breakfast and Lunch and then creative pub fare in the evenings. Now to be known as the Elusive Moose Pub & Eatery.

Jay's: Closed after many years for sale. Signs are looking good for microbrewery and lunch/dinner spot. Walk up counter where you order. Plans for patio seating.
    Thanks, susan.
    glad to hear the purple moon is reopening. I was under the impression that the microbrewery in the old jays was happening, just awaiting construction.
    what about the pine tree pub?

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    what about the pine tree pub?
    I got nuttin' - only because I haven't eaten there, and don't have contact with the owner/proprietor. But I can tell you we have snow, and more coming over the next several days. Cold, dry, stand-on-end powder.....

had dinner at the hyde away. Food was good, menu is great, interesting and extensive and the service could not have been faster. will definitely go back

What's up with Egan's Big World -- is that gone forever? Someone should do something with the space. Is that the possible microbrewery space?

my understanding is that the microbrewery is going into the space of the old Jays restaurant by the post office.

fwiw-went to the hyde away again. food is good. great wings.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    my understanding is that the microbrewery is going into the space of the old Jays restaurant by the post office.

fwiw-went to the hyde away again. food is good. great wings.
    Went by Jay's yesterday and the for lease sign/available is still there. I don't think that's the spot.

What's with the Elusive Moose?

Quote Originally Posted by El Bishop View Post
    What's up with Egan's Big World -- is that gone forever? Someone should do something with the space. Is that the possible microbrewery space?
    Egan's (at the intersection of Rt 100/Rt 17) is available for rent. The place is ready to go as a restaurant, nearly "turn-key". Kitchen equipment, tables and chairs, plates, etc are already in place, just like the day it closed. There is a tiny "for rent" sign out front with the phone number if anyone is interested.

There is an entity trying to get a permit to open a brew-pub in the former Jay's space. The town is making them jump through hoops, making it difficult for them to start the business. Definitely setting up roadblocks rather than helping them solve problems. Considering that microbrews are to VT/MRV as wine is to Napa, I think the permitting folks are being foolish and short-sited. Sometimes people with authority feel it is best to demand compliance rather than to guide and help. This behavior is obviously counterproductive to reviving dining options in the MRV.

The mistake was asking permission in the first place.

Roadblocks are a good thing to ensure the planning is well-thought out and all residents of Waitsfield are represented. The people who live in and around Mad River Green (where Jay's is) have a right for their concerns to be heard. The five-member elected Waitsfield Select Board has done a pretty good job over the years in preserving the village character and allowing business to grow while not becoming like Stowe or Woodstock (or mini-malls like Williston), in my opinion. There is a seat on the Select Board opening up if you'd care to run for it. Liquor laws also have a State licensing component.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    Roadblocks are a good thing to ensure the planning is well-thought out and all residents of Waitsfield are represented. The people who live in and around Mad River Green (where Jay's is) have a right for their concerns to be heard. The five-member elected Waitsfield Select Board has done a pretty good job over the years in preserving the village character and allowing business to grow while not becoming like Stowe or Woodstock (or mini-malls like Williston), in my opinion. There is a seat on the Select Board opening up if you'd care to run for it. Liquor laws also have a State licensing component.
    I suppose you are right, there seem to be fewer restaurants than in the past. I can think of no new commercial development of any kind in 20+ years, other than rehabbing older properties. And now there are several empty spots in old buildings like Egans, Purple Moon, Jays, Old Egans, 1824 house restaurant, White Horse(the bar/restaurant), maybe more, which to many visitors and potential vacation property owners seem alarming. Those closed businesses are not to be blamed on elected officials. The point is that there is a dire need for those elected officials to get behind and help a responsible new business that wants to open. Help, not hinder.

I am astounded to hear that a new restaurant operator cannot rapidly get a permit to open a restaurant in an existing restaurant space which already had a liquor license. In a resort town that needs dining options, where people need employment, permitting should be fast-tracked so it can be built out, staffed, and open for business asap.

IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by southvillager View Post
    There is an entity trying to get a permit to open a brew-pub in the former Jay's space. The town is making them jump through hoops, making it difficult for them to start the business. Definitely setting up roadblocks rather than helping them solve problems. Considering that microbrews are to VT/MRV as wine is to Napa, I think the permitting folks are being foolish and short-sited. Sometimes people with authority feel it is best to demand compliance rather than to guide and help. This behavior is obviously counterproductive to reviving dining options in the MRV.

The mistake was asking permission in the first place.
    I am curious as to where you are getting this information, as I believe you are mistaken. I am in contact with the entity, and the chamber is an "interested party" (of support). I was present at their initial meeting with the Development Review Board who gave a warm warm reception to the proposal.

The real issue is economic and what's needed to keep a restaurant open year-round and support your family while doing so. Is there a restaurant in the Valley where the owner is getting rich? We looked at Egan's in 2010, even went to the auction, but projected income (from the previous owner's revenue figures) would not support an assumed $350k purchase price, meanwhile the bank wanted $595k. Another Egan's issue is a monthly water bill of $1100. That's about 200 burgers' worth after food and labor cost ($5+ profit) on its own. It's a tough business. Restaurants are really only busy-busy on Saturday nights in the winter when compared to more urban areas like Church St, Burlington.

Good planning and permit review are necessary (imo) to ensure any new establishment, whether restaurant, computer store or canoe factory, will fit within the Town's plan and character without adversely affecting neighbors. Traffic, smells, noise, deliveries, etc must all be considered. Fast-tracked liquor permitting sounds potentially risky for the long-term even if it opens up a much-needed brew-pub in the short term.
    Last edited by ducky; 01-27-2014 at 12:09 PM.

That said, Elusive Moose was rumored to be open already and Mad River Barn was packed Sat night with both seatings sold out. Congrats to both.