Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Mutha Stuffa's again

Name of the place?

Mutha's

Date visited?

12/29, 1/1

Conditions? Was it crowded? Was it a zoo weekend? Was it you and the owners?
    Not crowded (but it should be)

What did you have?
    The Guido, split with my wife(make sure you ask for the crushed peppers) and the Full Ham (split between my three kids)

What did you think? The food, the service, the ambiance, the experience, in total?
    Each sandwich is for two people, don't even think of getting one for yourself (at least at my age). Excellent bread baked on the premises, great cold cuts, really the best sandwich around the mountain. (Yes, better than Paradise, but a more limited selection). We now pick up the sandwich and drag it over to the lodge for lunch, a great alternative to our brown bagging it. I truly hope this guy can be successful long term.

Name of the place?
    Mutha Stuffas

Date visited?
    1/6/08

Not Crowded: 1 couple and 1 family

What did you have?
    Had the "OTB" prosciutto mozzarella w/roasted peppers ad the "Maher" chicken bacon cole slaw w/ swiss

What did you think? The food, the service, the ambiance, the experience, in total?
    Excellent $10.00 sandwiches that are double servings

It's nice to see new business especially in the village. The guy is very friendly and accomodating and he is getting his pizza oven hooked up this week so the menu is expanding.

Name of the place?
    Timbers

Date visited?
    1/5/08

>3/4s full

What did you have?
    My wife had the localvore salad w/ nut encrusted chicken. I had the portabello mushroom wellington in puff pastry w/ leeks and pesto.

The food and service were both great.

It was nice to sit in a window seat and take in the sights of the beautiful bustling base area. Too often we're rushing to catch a chair or pick up onje of our kids, often we don't stop and notice what a beautiful base area it is. It's nice to see this new business (Timbers) doing well.

Localfolk Smokehouse

Localfolk Smokehouse
    Thursday
    1/2 full
    Usually get BBQ, but had Veggie quesadilla with black beans & mashed.
    Great tex-mex, as well as bbq.
    More affordable than most in the Valley
    Friendly bartender.
    I eat there all the time.
    Big screen football on Sunday!

Dinners at Timber's = MUCH improved

Name of the place?
    Timbers

Date visited?
    1/5, 2/1

1/5 there was a group party, moderately crowded; 2/1 light to moderate crowd

What did you have?
    Btwn the two meals: Confit Crepes, Onion Soup, Warm Pear & Gorgonzola salad, Bachandel (breaded dark chicken)

Food was well-prepared and ver tasty. Portions much more reasonable than in the past. Service also very much improved; wait time was down to a minimum and moved at a pleasant pace (last summer & winter meals could take 2-2.5+ hours; this year service was prompt, much more knowledgeable).

Overall
    It took a while, and certainly quite a bit of effort & some re-starts but they now are on to a winning formula. Congrats Win & team for your perseverance!
    No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)

Bass Restaurant update

I posted a few months ago that the Bass Restaurant on the access road was being purchased and turned into a italian restaurant. I could not find the post. Looks like the VR has confirmed that today but who is buying it has not been confirmed but Big World is being mentioned by some.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Re: Bass Restaurant update

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    I posted a few months ago that the Bass Restaurant on the access road was being purchased and turned into a italian restaurant. I could not find the post. Looks like the VR has confirmed that today but who is buying it has not been confirmed but Big World is being mentioned by some.
    I can confirm that it is indeed Bernie of the Big World who has undertaken this endeavor... he seems pretty confident. Let's hope he does well!
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

noski-notell. When I get permission to tell, I will. Suffice to say it is more than one partner. It is a testimony to how businesses CAN be successful in this Valley- they don't all turn and run, some choose to stay and invest. If you run your business well, treat your guests as your priority and get involved with your community (ie support the chamber!) and use the tools given you to build your business instead of beating yourself up- you will do just fine.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

If they are planning on opening during the spring or summer, they are very brave.

Things tend to be... quiet, around here, when it isn't winter.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    If they are planning on opening during the spring or summer, they are very brave.

Things tend to be... quiet, around here, when it isn't winter.
    They will have a built-in, immediate local following. Opening in summer. ow ow ow my arm. stop interrogating me!

Timing

It also lets them work out the kinks on the more laid back summer clientèle, BEFORE the craziness of the next winter season.

On the positive side the former Bass is a real nice building inside with a cool small bar area semi-separated from the upstairs dining area with huge windows. Wonder if they will do a major reno. I think the access road is a hard place for a restaurant despite all the traffic driving by and agree that a local successful restauranteur with a strong local following has the best chance of succeeding.
    Sugarbusher since 1970

Re: Bass Restaurant update

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    I can confirm that it is indeed Bernie of the Big World who has undertaken this endeavor... he seems pretty confident. Let's hope he does well!
    Didn't the Central Scrutinizer tell you that a month ago?

New Restaurant Opening

August 1- the former Bass Restaurant on the Access Rd will reopen, with new look and new attitude. Terra Rossa Ristaurante will serve wood-fired pizza and other Italian cuisine. Chef and Sous Chef formerly of Sarducci's in Montpelier. See you there!

Wow, That's awesome news! Sarducci's has a massive regional rep for being one of the best restaurants. After about 3 tries and not wanting to wait we finally hit it early, got in right away, food was awesome.

Alot of folks, including myself, think that the Access Road is a tough place to have a restaurant but figured Bernie with his experience in the valley had something special up his sleeve. Watch for increased traffic on 100B....
    Sugarbusher since 1970