Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ski shops & “season tunes”

After many, many years being based around Killington/Pico, my wife & I, with little one in tow, decided it was time to check out Sugarbush this season. Got the seasonal rental, season passes, etc.

I’m wondering what are the good shops in the area?
    Who does “season” or “bulk” tunes? At Killington, shops offer various deals on “season” or “bulk” tunes such as register a few pairs of skis for the season, or buy 15 tunes for a discount. Hoping to find similar setups here.
    And since I telemark exclusively, where is the Tele shop?

Re: Ski shops & “season tunes”

Quote Originally Posted by teleo
    After many, many years being based around Killington/Pico, my wife & I, with little one in tow, decided it was time to check out Sugarbush this season. Got the seasonal rental, season passes, etc.

Who does “season” or “bulk” tunes? At Killington, shops offer various deals on “season” or “bulk” tunes such as register a few pairs of skis for the season, or buy 15 tunes for a discount. Hoping to find similar setups here.
    First of all, welcome. Win is right - the extra hour is the best investment you can make if you're a serious skier.

I'm a big fan of Mountainside in the SB village. Great location. Good guys in my experience.

That said, if tele is your rig, then Clearwater Sports in Waitsfield is the way to go, from what I know. Not sure how many tele set-ups Brooke and Co. get to work on up at Mountainside.

Looks like another Killington refugee. Enjoy, you'll love this, but please don't tell anyone else.

I won't speak poorly about any shop, but don't listen to Tinny on any Tele question!

Have to start re-naming the place Sugarington or killingbush. Welcome to the mountain.

Stay away from Clearwater.

1) We certainly welcome all who have decided to upgrade, but I don't think anyone here is interesting in taking any part of their name!

B) Another Mountainside fan here. I think everyone does bulk pricing on tunes. Haven't checked, this year, but previously it was 6 and 11 tunes.

B.1) As for tele gear, I'm not sure what is different about the tuning. I'd say call Brooke (583-waxx) and if he doesn't handle them I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you who does.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Curious why you're switching. I've heard from others who are also switching that K-mart eliminated the seasonal kids program and jacked up the prices significantly.

Is anyone concerned that we are going to see too many K-mart converts? Has there been a jump in seasonal pass sales?

I recall a thread from last season about the change of ownership at k-mart and it's ramifications for SB. Early indications are we all had it wrong. Looks like the new ownership is trying to reduce the number of skiers there.

Stay away from Clearwater

VT North does a nice tune. As for Tele stuff the guys at the ski shop at the base at Mad River Glen do a nice job.

HTH,
    jkvt
    The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking. - A. A. Milne

Alpine Options does a very good job taking care of my skis (and I've been known to severely punish them - another core shot?)

The 10-tune "punchcard" that they offer is a good deal, in my opinion. I also like that they stay open late on Friday nights so I'm ready to go for first tracks on Saturday morning.

They do sell telemark skis, boots and bindings there - a buddy of mine bought his entire setup there.

Welcome to Sugarbush!

[edited post - it's a 10-tune punchcard, not a 20-tune punchcard as I originally wrote]

I have had very good experiences with both Mountainside and Alpine options...I bought the "bulk" card at Alpine Options and the staying open late on Friday is a real nice feature!

I guess a lot of people have had bad experiences with Clearwater. Like I said, I spend most of my time and money at Mountainside, so I just threw it out there b/c of the tele reference.

Definitely worth giving Brooke a call at the number mentioned above to see if he can help out.

Peter Koval in The Bull Wheel at the base of Lincoln Peak also does a nice job. There are several good choices as already mentioned.

Not a problem tuning Tele @ Mountainside. Tuning Tele set ups shouldn't be a problem anywhere. If you are arrive late on Friday I have heard that Alpine Options on the access rd. stays open late.....only heard. Can anyone confirm?
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

I have seen Alpine open late (midnight I think) on certain Fridays but I'm not sure how often they do it... definitely something they do...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Welcome to the Valley Teleo! Get ready for a great skiing year. I am a firm believer in the season tune or bulk buy. (7 years of shop experience has taught me the value of properly tuned skis. Now I pay to have it done)
    I do mine at the MRG shop, but that would border on ridiculous for a SB skier.
    I have heard rave reviews about Alpine options from many of the demanding regulars at MRG.

BTW, If you get good service, don't forget a tip for your shop boys. A fin or a rack of beer goes a long way for those guys. I certainly remember that from my days in the shop (a long, long time ago)