Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

New improvments for Sugarbush 07 - 08 season

Well it was a very busy summer for me, (work not play). I did not make it up to Sugarbush and did no reading of this forum whatsoever. Heck I didn’t even have time to think about Sugarbush until this past Saturday.

I had just finish a delicious steak at Ben Benson’s and I was headed down 7th Avenue crossing 38th St. when all of a sudden a tour bus runs a red light and almost hits me. Lucky for me I had my wits about me (as always needed when walking the streets of NY) and I was able to step back out of its way. As the bus passes what do I see? The big words ”Sugarbush” with a picture of John Egan. That reminded me, winter is upon us, and I will be spending my Thanksgiving at Sugarbush in just a few weeks. That got me wondering about what has been going on at Sugarbush

Last time I read the forum it sounded like the Valley house lodge was getting torn down so the chair could be extended to the base of the mountain (meaning not having to hike to get to it). The chair was also getting extended at the top for safety reasons (thank god!). It also sounded like the chair was most likely getting replaced with a new fixed triple.

Additionally at South there was talk about adding a snow melting system for the paved walkway between Claybrook and Gatehouse lodge.

Another thing mentioned here, which I’m sure will take more time was possibly adding terrain above the Inverness chair at North.

Can anyone update me with the status of these projects as well other improvements for the 07 – 08 ski season? I’m getting pumped for some POW!

Ok, that was way too long, I have to get back to work.

Re: New improvments for Sugarbush 07 - 08 season

Quote Originally Posted by madhavok

Last time I read the forum it sounded like the Valley house lodge was getting torn down so the chair could be extended to the base of the mountain (meaning not having to hike to get to it). The chair was also getting extended at the top for safety reasons (thank god!). It also sounded like the chair was most likely getting replaced with a new fixed triple.
    VH lodge got a one-year reprieve due to the decision to delay the construction of the Guest Services Lodge. Any plans for the VH lift are longer term in nature, per Win. FWIW, I think he mentioned his preference is for a FGQ, not triple (though I'd certainly prefer the triple from a lift vs. trail capacity perspective).

Additionally at South there was talk about adding a snow melting system for the paved walkway between Claybrook and Gatehouse lodge.
    I hadn't heard about that, though it's definitely necessary. If they did it, they sure are keeping quiet about it.

Another thing mentioned here, which I’m sure will take more time was possibly adding terrain above the Inverness chair at North.
    That's probably something more appropriate for your kids to speculate about - hard to imagine it will get done in our skiing lifetimes.

Can anyone update me with the status of these projects as well other improvements for the 07 – 08 ski season?
    I inquired in this very space a few months back and was met with a wall of silence. I'm sure there were various odds and ends that were refined or enhanced in the off-season, but they sure do like to kep whatever they did secret.

Win - can you detail the capital program for this off-season for us? You've been pretty quiet on the subject. By delaying the Guest Services lodge, what improvements were you able to implement in Claybrook, the GH lodge and Timbers given the free time you created?

I am not Win, nor do I play him on TV.

I don't think there were any major improvements, this summer. Instead, the drive was to do a lot of touch up on the things that had to be completed from last year's rush to get the base area finished.

The other big thing was to get the resort working in the other seasons, which is very important. No ski resort can just be that. All must be four season resorts, and this summer, the place was quite busy.

As to the snow melt system, I believe the plan is still to have facilities spread a concrete-friendly chemical. Toward the end of the season, they were getting much better at it.

Beyond that, I just think they've ordered a lot more snow.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

FWIW I saw Mountain Ops transporting what appeared to be new HKD guns from the base of LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone

I don't think there were any major improvements, this summer. Instead, the drive was to do a lot of touch up on the things that had to be completed from last year's rush to get the base area finished.
    Wasn't expecting major improvements. Would love it if someone could articulate the substance of the touch-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by summitchallenger
    FWIW I saw Mountain Ops transporting what appeared to be new HKD guns from the base of LP.
    Now that's news.

the Wunderbar is re-openning!
    "It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."

The snow melt system was scraped due to $ and the weight of Fire Trucks that need access to that road. I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskier
    The snow melt system was scraped due to $ and the weight of Fire Trucks that need access to that road. I hear.
    Good thing too because I think the problem lies more in the slipperiness of the surface (coefficient of friction).

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2
    (coefficient of friction).
    Speaking of mu, what's nu?

(lame chemistry joke... forgive me)

New beds at the Sugarbush Inn and I think folks will be impressed with the changes at Timbers under Exec Chef Gerry Nooney of Egans Big World Grille fame. Heard lots of compliments over the summer.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

I'd have to suggest....

.....the massive mountain biking center infrastructure, zip-line, and frisbee golf, though non-winter improvements, are major improvements nonetheless.

The amount of base area energy "off season" was great to see and be a part of.

Sorry, I am slow to answer here!

We had a large number of punch list items at both Clay Brook and the Gate House that could not be started until Spring. Anything from final painting, to landscaping, to final masonry etc., so that was a major effort. We did purchase two new groomers for this winter, did a lot of basic maintenance and a pump rebuild on our snowmaking system and retrofitted a number of our guns to generate more capacity and operate more efficicently. We did put a substantial amount of dollars and energy into our summer programs, and we viewed the summer as a great success with over 2,000 rides on the zip line, a comparable number of disc golf rounds and a very successful PDGA tournament. Mountain biking got rave reviews, and I even got out on the bike a couple of times and got some good tips from John Atkinson. We also did a lot at the golf course. Mike Wing and his team had the course in the best shape ever and built a new tee on 16, a new trap and turnaround area on 8, started a major irrigation project on 6 and reclaimed the pond on 16 in addition to having both the fairways and the greems in tip top shape. They have also done and will continue to do a lot of tree trimming throughout the course which allows sun and air to get through and restores many of the designed views of the mountains. The Sugarbush Inn bed base was increased. There are also every year a number of behind the scene capex projects which are not that visible but are essential.

This year you will see a really different approach at Timbers under Gerry Nooney's leadeship. He plans to have a first rate luncheon buffet in Timbers on the weekends which will allow for a much quicker turnaround. He will have good bar food and cocktail waitresses for Apres ski. His food has been getting excellent reviews, and he now has a very good team out front. In the Gate House the major change upstairs is that one will be able to get a beer there, so families do not have to go down to Castlerock Pub for a parent to get a beer for lunch. We are also modifying the menu to allow for quick service. We are also opening Valley House and the Wunderbar on Saturdays and Holdiays so with three bars for lunch and apres ski, we think we will have adequate space for the winter. (The new guest service lodge will have a restaurant and bar.)

Quote Originally Posted by win
    In the Gate House the major change upstairs is that one will be able to get a beer there, so families do not have to go down to Castlerock Pub for a parent to get a beer for lunch. We are also modifying the menu to allow for quick service. We are also opening Valley House and the Wunderbar on Saturdays and Holdiays so with three bars for lunch and apres ski, we think we will have adequate space for the winter. (The new guest service lodge will have a restaurant and bar.)
    I think the ability to have a beer in the main dining hall, outside of the pub, will be a huge improvement. Kudos on that change. That was something I didn't think you would be able to do given how seemingly strick the alcohol laws are in VT. Even better is the titillating news of more dinning space at the guest service lodge when that goes forward. Stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by win
    In the Gate House the major change upstairs is that one will be able to get a beer there, so families do not have to go down to Castlerock Pub for a parent to get a beer for lunch. We are also modifying the menu to allow for quick service. We are also opening Valley House and the Wunderbar on Saturdays and Holdiays so with three bars for lunch and apres ski, we think we will have adequate space for the winter. (The new guest service lodge will have a restaurant and bar.)

Excellent news!!