Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Well, technically, The bus is not funded by the towns at all. Most of the funding is from the State/Fed transportation funds. The local match, about 25% in our case, is funded mostly by Sugarbush- at about 86%. The rest of local match is primarily 4 lodging properties who are on the Access Rd and get exceptional bus opportunities due to their location.

The chamber currently owns the rolling stock, though I am guessing here that as we replace the stock over the next few years they will be owned by the service provider, CCTA out of Burlington. During Peak Weeks/Weekends, there is a "floater" bus in the afternoon and if one has a cell and service you can try calling 496-RIDE and MadBus dispatch will answer. See if the bus is available for a German Flats Rd run back to LP.

Remember, the bus leaves ME for LP at :15 & :45, so you can gauge roughly when it will hit SlideBrook.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    Well, technically, The bus is not funded by the towns at all. Most of the funding is from the State/Fed transportation funds. The local match, about 25% in our case, is funded mostly by Sugarbush- at about 86%. The rest of local match is primarily 4 lodging properties who are on the Access Rd and get exceptional bus opportunities due to their location.

The chamber currently owns the rolling stock, though I am guessing here that as we replace the stock over the next few years they will be owned by the service provider, CCTA out of Burlington. During Peak Weeks/Weekends, there is a "floater" bus in the afternoon and if one has a cell and service you can try calling 496-RIDE and MadBus dispatch will answer. See if the bus is available for a German Flats Rd run back to LP.

Remember, the bus leaves ME for LP at :15 & :45, so you can gauge roughly when it will hit SlideBrook.
    At the Warren SB meeting a couple of weeks ago the CCTA rep was there basically asking the town to contribute to the cost. As you might expect one of the first questions from the small crowd was " how much does Sugarbush contribute" and the CCTA rep said 75%. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    The access road itself remains much as it has since my family first made the trek up to the 'Bush. Sure, the restaurants have changed hands several times.
    Jay, I have to disagree. Bass / Country Flair is gone. Migel's/Rositas is gone. The Bluetooth is gone. The Warren House is gone. That leaves the pub at the Sugarbush Inn as the only access road establishament. Obviously I am not counting the base area or German Flats for this observation. My point is that some bars/resturaunts on the access road are a good thing as new people come to the mountain. When trying to get new people converted to drinking our kool-aid, it makes a difference. This topic is the only complaint that I have faced when trying to convert my friends. I also realize that some people have the opinion that "We are a skier's mountain. If you want night life go to Killington". All I am saying is that it is nice to have a few more options and some variety.
    Hawk, and others, what would you say if something like Stowe's - Matterhorn Rest were on the Sugarbush Access Road. Too much? Too little? Or just right???

For those who haven't been there it has pizza, burgers, sushi, pro grade pool tables, video games, bands, and professional wait staff, in a well kept clean environment.
    Bar dining experience is decent for singles and couples, and server to patron ratios are about 1:8.
    http://www.matterhornbar.com/

It grabs the attention and satisfies the needs of the respectable 25-50 y/o crowds nicely, and seems to service them well.

Wish a group of F&B business owners would step up to the plate within the next 3 years.
    With the quality and conservative pace of the resort expansion it’s surprising that no one has yet, although rumor has it that an overzealous traffic controller could be dissuading potential interest.
    Guessing it might take a privately funded security company and traffic enforcement for the MRV in order to amp up the "interest meter"........BTW "privately funded" could be a coop of chamber members who share the cost proportionately.....

Probably been kicked and beaten around a thousand times since the other establishments have moved out, although maybe not a dead horse yet!

Castleorck Pub

Not being a F&B expert, not to belabor this issue that has definitely been kicked around very passionately at least 1,000 times, and offering the following only as suggestion and not a tortuous plot.....

If the 15 - 3 foot x 3 foot low tables in C-Rock Pub were replaced with 15 - 2 foot x 2 foot high top cafe tables it would open up about 75 square feet of floor space to mingle, dance, and meander around on, with no obvious sacrifice or heartache caused by the elimination of “dinner” size low table tops which imho are unnecessary for a pub environment.

Using high back counter height stools would also allow plenty of ski parka stowage in addition to the wall hooks.........
    The height of the seated patrons would also be at about the same eye level as standing patrons allowing for more casual mingling.

All this wouldn't allow an increase to the permitted occupancy for the area, although it would allow some freedom to move about the cabin.

And maybe another 500 dollar computer station for each of the bartenders so they don’t need to share one machine, or fumble with pass codes at the time of each and every beer sale.

Another suggestion would be to station one person at the beer taps on Sat and Sun from 3-6 during high season to take some pressure off of the bartenders.
    Definitely would keep the regular/passholders from grumbling about having to leave with their $ in hand......

Again, probably no increase in throughput, but a much more enjoyable customer experience for regs and newbees as well.
    Maybe a minor point, but F&B manager might welcome the notion if they read this.

Anyone have any other proposition for one of our fav après spots?

Looking forward to the temporary re-opening of Wunderbar this season for another après spot, which was a great idea!
    And music at Timbers, brilliant!
    Thanks for these two improvements!

OK, long winded but now it’s all out in one breath................

Re: Castleorck Pub

Quote Originally Posted by 007

Looking forward to the temporary re-opening of Wunderbar this season for another après spot, which was a great idea!

Great, observation-based ideas. That's the type of stuff an outsider wouldn't necessarily get (especially the cash register and beer tap ideas) if they hadn't spent some time in the the Pub during the busy season. As for me, I'd like to see tem blow out the South wall of the CR Pub and annex the patio there with a temporary enclosure for the 75% of winter days when no one would want to be out there. The grill in the Spring there is fantastic, but it seems like a bit of a waste fo space to keep it cold and empty from opening day until March. I have to imagine that a happy medium can be found that enables you to take advantage of that space when needed for the pub while transitioning back to a grill area when the weather allows. Maybe they should adjust the grill 90 degrees such that the cook's back faces South. Put a rope up from the midpoint of the grill towards the North with everything to the East (Timbers side) public seating for all ages who want a burger outside and a small area to the West (mountain side) continuing to serve as an extension of the CR Pub. I guess the addition of a new bar in the forthcoming guest services bldg is supposed to obviate the need for an expansion of CR, but my guess is that CR will always be the destination fo choice for the majority of folks looking for a frosty adult apres beverage.

If the 15 - 3 foot x 3 foot low tables in C-Rock Pub were replaced with 15 - 2 foot x 2 foot high top cafe tables it would open up about 75 square feet of floor space to mingle, dance, and meander around on, with no obvious sacrifice or heartache caused by the elimination of “dinner” size low table tops which imho are unnecessary for a pub environment.
    Using high back counter height stools would also allow plenty of ski parka stowage in addition to the wall hooks.........
    The height of the seated patrons would also be at about the same eye level as standing patrons allowing for more casual mingling.
    All this wouldn't allow an increase to the permitted occupancy for the area, although it would allow some freedom to move about the cabin.
    You know, changing out those low tables for higher pub tables could clear up some space, or at least make the room feel more cohesive...

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman

.....observation-based ideas....That's the type of stuff an outsider wouldn't necessarily get.......see tem blow out the South wall of the CR Pub and annex the patio there with a temporary enclosure........seems like a bit of a waste fo space.........take advantage of that space.........adjust the grill 90 degrees such that the cook's back faces South. Put a rope up from the midpoint of the grill towards the North with everything to the East......outside and a small area to the West...........but my guess is.....
    Enough with the observation based ideas, lets grab a compass, blow out some wallS, and put up a rope

Quote Originally Posted by thinksnow

Enough with the observation based ideas, lets grab a compass, blow out some wallS, and put up a rope

Guessing permits and $ might be a small road block for the demo hammer and the envisioned C-Rock Pub expansion......
    We'll probably see more pub environs and lounge locations in the grand plan for base expansion over the next 5 years though.
    Sometimes several small gathering places are better managed than one all inclusive space and they can be opened and closed sequentially with seasonal demand.

For now, at Castlerock Pub, much much smaller and higher cafe tables, high back bar stools, and the St Pauli Girl at the beer tap would be a negligible cost for a HUGE improvement!!!

A virtual live band might be another space saving idea as well.
    Five large plasma screens piping in live video feed of band members playing from a Burlington Recording Loft.
    Live video feed from the C-Rock back to them for feedback.
    Could be a way to capture a good band who doesn't want to travel to the MRV for a few hours on a Saturday.
    Hmmmmmm...

the envisioned C-Rock Pub expansion......
    What expansion?

the envisioned C-Rock Pub expansion......
    What expansion?
    The expansion of whining about CP...coming soon as a mini-series on cable. This dead horse has more sequels than Rocky.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer

The expansion of whining about CP...coming soon as a mini-series on cable. This dead horse has more sequels than Rocky.
    You keep calling this whining, but I'm having a hard time understanding your position on this. The CR Pub was objectively, unquestionably, overcrowded last year on weekends. There was no room to put your things down, no ability to carry on a conversation, and difficult at best to get a drink. I'm not sure how you could even argue this, unless you're trying to discredit any criticism of SB whether warranted or not.

You keep calling this whining, but I'm having a hard time understanding your position on this. The CR Pub was objectively, unquestionably, overcrowded last year on weekends. There was no room to put your things down, no ability to carry on a conversation, and difficult at best to get a drink. I'm not sure how you could even argue this, unless you're trying to discredit any criticism of SB whether warranted or not.
    I have to agree with Tin. While an expansion may be best left until after the GS lodge is operational, there is no reason in the interim, not to use the patio area in some way shape or form. There are heaters there already and putting some form of a tent seems to me a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2

I have to agree with Tin. While an expansion may be best left until after the GS lodge is operational, there is no reason in the interim, not to use the patio area in some way shape or form. There are heaters there already and putting some form of a tent seems to me a no-brainer.
    Propane heaters + tent = bad idea

Unless it has open sides
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

I agree on CR pub issues. Tent great idea, and couple options to heat other than radiant propane units.

At friend's bday party this weekend, with temps in high teens / low 20s he had a 40x40 tent (with sides) attached to his house. Two, possibly 3, heat pump / blower units kept is sufficiently toasty warm for the women to be comfortable dancing in their halter tops.
    No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)

Castlerock Pub - 2.0

Wow, that spun out a little.

Original idea for version 2.0 was:
    smaller and taller cafe tables, high back bar stools, and the St Pauli Girl at the beer tap.

Easy, cheap, and quick solution to re-set the mood of the place and the patrons in it.......Hopefully someone in Food & Bev will agree to try this out.

Now how about the new Valley House Traverse snowmaking, and the nice new clean woods lines that we have this season!!!