Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale
    How about "The Slidebrook Beer Habitat"
    That's funny. Can you drink beer in there in the Fall or Springtime? Do you have to be really quiet in there? Do they serve beech nuts with the beer?

Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobySnack
    There's always Upper Castlerock Pub and Lower Castlerock Pub.
    Haha, clever...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Tin will want both expanded

"Legends Cafe"
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    Tin will want both expanded
    Kapow!

While I was hoping for a major ski improvement (such as a new Valley House lift) I’m not ignorant. I realize Sugarbush had to get a summer program going (basically from scratch) and there were probably tons and little details around the new base that were missed due to last years push. No doubt this is time consuming and I’m sure you guys were busy this off season.

Still, at some point Sugarbush will have to invest in a few more new lifts. I personally hope Valley House and Heaven's Gate get replaced over the next 5 or so years. Additionally I'm really interested to see if Sugarbush could actually pull off any expansion of the skiing terrain (I have read bits about trying expanding above the Inverness area over at North, once again). I'll really be interested to know what Sugarbush is thinking of planning.

So if anyone in the know would care to share (please!) what improvements are really on the table for Sugarbush over the next 3 or 4 years and what improvements are they just dreaming of, I’d really appreciate it. I promise you won't get any negative feedback (from me at least) and I won't hold you to anything!

Crickets

How about developing the area between North and South (slidebrook) Take out the slidebrook express q and replace it with 2 or 3 quads. That would truly give Sugarbush some of the best skiing in the Northeast and would conect North and South with skiing rather than connecting them by lift.

Quote Originally Posted by djd66
    How about developing the area between North and South (slidebrook) Take out the slidebrook express q and replace it with 2 or 3 quads. That would truly give Sugarbush some of the best skiing in the Northeast and would conect North and South with skiing rather than connecting them by lift.
    As great as the skiing would be, it's never gonna happen. Between USFS and protected Wildlife land, not to mention Act 250 and a lot of locals who wouldn't be happy, it's just not possible. It was all Les Otten could do to get the SBX in there... he had to fight that one for quite a while. In fact, I think his hope was that that would get his foot in the door to develop the Basin, but the idea was shot down a million times over for a million reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    New beds at the Sugarbush Inn and I think folks will be impressed with the changes at Timbers under Exec Chef Gerry Nooney of Egans Big World Grille fame. Heard lots of compliments over the summer.
    I'll vouch for the latter - food at Timbers is MUCH better now and VERY good!!
    Altitude is Everything

Its too bad. Development like that would really breath some much need life back into the Valley.

Its too bad. Development like that would really breath some much need life back into the Valley.
    I don't know. There are other opportunities for expansion. I think the Slide Brook Basin is special as it is. Developing it would kill a vital part of the Sugarbush character and atmosphere, imo.

Yeah, I fail to see how that would breathe much life into the valley. And with the increase of the pass and ticket cost, to pay for two HSQs... ?

The way Slidebrook works is special in and out of ski season.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

The new Claybrook/Gatehouse/Timbers developement has been open less than a year. Getting that still somewhat new huge developement working on all cylinders is better than jumping into something new. Phase Two of the LP plan is in the on deck circle.

The Bush and MRG with it's investment in the new single chair are doing their part, perhaps the local economy needs other parts of the valley business community to do some breathing. Lots of obstacles for that unfortunately. I was very disappointed when the town of Waitsfield denied Small Dog Electronics and Vermont Pack and Paddle permits to expand. Mad River Canoe left the valley and went south, literally. It would have been awesome to have canoes built in the valley again.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Having lived here in the valley for three plus years now, I am continually amazed at SOME of the local people's resistance to change of ANY kind. I realize that is what keeps rural areas rural, but some of these folks want to go back to living in huts and pumping water by hand...kind of hard for growth to occur in that scenario - personal growth included...and they don't seem happy about it, they just seem angry at SO many things. I thought there would be more community here, but in many ways there is not. I'm not saying I don't enjoy it here, or that everyone is like that - I've made some good friends and met plenty of good folks...just making an observation as a somewhat new resident here.
    Altitude is Everything

even though i am a lowlander i can at least agree with your views on Timbers, sugarboarder. we had our 5th or 6th family lunch there (spread evenly in the months since it opened...almost a year now). to say that in the past we were disappointed is being kind. and let's not talk about the dinners. not that those were atrocious events, just that the food was more consistently bad or mediocre, and the service was insanely b a d. if you ate there before the most recent change then you likely know.

anyway, our lunch Sat was a very different deal. in fact, it was pretty terrific. even the service was decent. while it was not speedy it also was not overly slow. is that 'relaxed'? on balance, an experience much closer to what I think they were shooting for. definately an improvement. congrats, win & team.
    No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)