Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thinksnow
    Quote Originally Posted by win
    In the Gate House the major change upstairs is that one will be able to get a beer there, so families do not have to go down to Castlerock Pub for a parent to get a beer for lunch. We are also modifying the menu to allow for quick service. We are also opening Valley House and the Wunderbar on Saturdays and Holdiays so with three bars for lunch and apres ski, we think we will have adequate space for the winter. (The new guest service lodge will have a restaurant and bar.)

Excellent news!!
    Ah, alcohol, the source of and solution to all of life's problems. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by win
    Sorry, I am slow to answer here!
    We did purchase two new groomers for this winter, did a lot of basic maintenance and a pump rebuild on our snowmaking system and retrofitted a number of our guns to generate more capacity and operate more efficicently.
    The new groomers will definitely help. You do a great job finding the right balance between grooming and not grooming, but having more firepower to get things done more quickly and more thoroughly is always aplus, especially in variable weather situations. Definitely good news on the snowmaking system upgrades. Where the gun/pump rebuilds concentrated in any particular area, or spread all over the mountains?

This year you will see a really different approach at Timbers under Gerry Nooney's leadeship. He plans to have a first rate luncheon buffet in Timbers on the weekends which will allow for a much quicker turnaround. He will have good bar food and cocktail waitresses for Apres ski. His food has been getting excellent reviews, and he now has a very good team out front.
    All very good news. I may just have to wander over to check that buffet out this year. Having a a first-rate apres offering so close to GH is nice as well if you don't want to trudge up the hill to the Wunderbar.

In the Gate House the major change upstairs is that one will be able to get a beer there, so families do not have to go down to Castlerock Pub for a parent to get a beer for lunch. We are also modifying the menu to allow for quick service. We are also opening Valley House and the Wunderbar on Saturdays and Holdiays so with three bars for lunch and apres ski, we think we will have adequate space for the winter. (The new guest service lodge will have a restaurant and bar.)
    This is the best news of all. I'm no architect, but it seemed to me that having both a restaurant and bar in the new bldg would be critical in supporting the vitality of the core of the new base village. It would lessen the concentration of activity between GH and Timbers, and would spread things out a little bit to encompass the new lodge (while taking MUCH NEEDED pressure off of the CR pub). The plaza should be buzzing when it's completed and it serves as a great springboard for the eventual expansion of the new village to the north.

Good news on the 2nd restaurant. I assume during the off-season it and Timbers won't both be open - no way enough business could be done to even offset the cost of opening. Is it going to be more family oriented than Timbers? (not that Timbers doesn't work well for the family).

Can we start the naming contest? Something trail-related would make sense I think... Castlerock's already taken... what else is distinctive? Maybe "Sleeper's" to go with the family theme?
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Names

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Can we start the naming contest?
    How about "Freshies".

Or meet me in "The White Room".

Re: Names

Quote Originally Posted by smootharc
    Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Can we start the naming contest?
    How about "Freshies".

Or meet me in "The White Room".
    great song Cream
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

The golf clubs are officially put away for the season and now I'm salivating at the thought of strapping the ole planks on my feet and never taking them off. You know I never seem to get upset while I'm skiing like I do as I slice my third drive of the tee shot into the treeline. All season long I think about the Bush and now comes that joyous time of year.

I'm glad they didn't try to do too much this off season and instead refine the massive updates that were done last season. That will allow everything to settle and make the implementation of the new GH a bit easier then having too much going on at once. Sounds like we've got some good improvements and I look forward to another snow filled season, good eats at Timbers and a few, just a few of course, cold Longtrails.

If we're taking names for the new Bar in the GH how about the Sugarshack? Too cheesy a name? Then how Jack Frost's? Having a cold one at Frosty's doesn't seem like too bad an idea.

Welcome back all!!!!!!

How about "The Powder Room"?

Keep the names ideas coming!

How about "The Slidebrook Beer Habitat"

Name the new pub Steins

I'd like to see it named "Stein's"

Simple
    Historic
    Not to mention linkage with my favorite drinking vessel, the mighty 'beer stein'

And Win could announce it this weekend, at dinner in honor of Stein Eriksen
    No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)

Mushroom II

Re: Name the new pub Steins

Quote Originally Posted by boze
    I'd like to see it named "Stein's"

Simple
    Historic
    Not to mention linkage with my favorite drinking vessel, the mighty 'beer stein'

And Win could announce it this weekend, at dinner in honor of Stein Eriksen
    Very nice Boze. This one sings to me. I second. "Stein's"

How about "The Den" The place downtown is gone, and it could be partialled with the bear den, for the min-micro and assorted other bears... or beers?
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

There's always Upper Castlerock Pub and Lower Castlerock Pub.

Here are my suggestions: Winthrop's or The Catamount. I like Stein's, also.