Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There are certainly a lot of great memories in the VH lodge/Mushroom, but it has a number of important drawbacks, IMO. It's inconvenient to get to unless you're at Snowcreek. It artificially narrows the elbow room at the junction of 4-5 trails (Racer's Edge, Spring Fling, Moonshine, Mall, VH Traverse). It also prevents you from eventually extending a new VH lift down to the base area whereit could best be put to use taking the strain off of Bravo and Gate House.

I'd love to see some sort of half-pipe in that spot in the future after VH is torn down. Great pitch and a great spot for viewing as well. Put a handle tow or soemthing next to it and people can ride laps all day on the thing.

Hopefully the Guest Services lodge has sufficient food service options to really take the pressure off of the new GH Lodge. As important, IMO, is a long-term replacement for the capacity represented by the Wunderbar and the Muchroom apres. The new CR Pub doesn't cut it in that regard and Timbers will only appeal to a select few. I won't go into CR Pub any more apres b/c it's a ridiculous madhouse and eagerly await the resolution of this situation. FWIW, I'd love to see them blow out the south wall of the Pub and take over that patio space that gets used during about 20% of the ski season.

VH chair like last winter will be cleared to run as a back-up if needed and will be scheduled for Saturdays and Holiday Weeks starting around Xmas Holidays when the traffic picks up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    I won't go into CR Pub any more apres b/c it's a ridiculous madhouse and eagerly await the resolution of this situation.
    Reminds me of that Yogi Berra saying...."no one goes there anymore cause it's too crowded"
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Although I've many, many fond memories of VH lodge and Mushroom, the natural progression for SB is demolition, and I really welcome the facelift SB is receiving. It's exciting and overdue.

May be a far fetched idea, but I wonder if it would be possible to tear down the Valley House lodge, but leave the Mushroom in tact?

The problem with that is that it still blocks a future extension of the VH liftline down to the lower base, which is part of the real end game for demolishing VH lodge in the first place. I'd prefer to see them simply carve out space for a new Mushroom in the Guest Services Lodge. Fat chance would be my guess, however.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck
    Although I've many, many fond memories of VH lodge and Mushroom, the natural progression for SB is demolition, and I really welcome the facelift SB is receiving. It's exciting and overdue.

May be a far fetched idea, but I wonder if it would be possible to tear down the Valley House lodge, but leave the Mushroom in tact?
    hmm...interesting
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Wow, that's cool!! I can see myself having a few adult beverages people watching. Kind of reminds me of Aspen..

The Mushroom is one of those quirky things that give a mountain its personality, but it's time to say goodbye. Keeping the mushroom iteself probably is not feasible...The restrooms are actually uphill, on a higher floor of the VH, and the bar is outside in the corridor. The roof leaks terribly and is in need of reconstruction. The rest of the VH needs rebuilding top to bottom. It's just got to go. Sometimes we have to remember the past but look to the future. Maybe a nod to tradition in the new Skier Services building? There could be a bar or lounge in that building, and it could be called the "Mush Room" That would be a good name for a member's club, too. Jokes aside, I'm in favor of keeping the old feel at North while moving into the future at South. I won't be sad when the VH goes.

The legendary avalanche of Winter '08....

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    ......takes out valley house, sans Mushroom. Great peek into the crystal ball !

I don't know where SRO got that pic. It was supposed to be one of the Sugarbush top secrets!

That is the plan for next season. And the restrooms are below, but you don't have to use the stairs. There is an escalator. How can we have an escalator in such a small building?

It is a spiral escalator. First one in Vermont.

Now the secret is out. SRO... You are in TROUBLE!

Blabbermouth!

Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

That's sweet!! You could actually see the slopes while having a beer instead of a stone wall . What a concept!!

HMMMM! Digital photography does cause one to think! The problem with the whole building is that is needs a full rehab and that may or may not make economical sense.

Tradition is important to me and it is one of the factors we think about in any decision. Let's hope the snow looks as good as in the picture.

Im glad to hear Win is sensitive to history. I think that the ValleyHouse and the Mushroom are like the lodge at Mount Ellen--or Fenway Park; flawed and outdated, but comforting and unique. Save them please.

Re: The legendary avalanche of Winter '08....

Quote Originally Posted by smootharc
    Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    ......takes out valley house, sans Mushroom. Great peek into the crystal ball !
    WOW.
    Very cool photo work.
    There's the on Mountain First Class Lounge we've been dreaming about!!!

Hmmmmm.
    Maybe, just maybe, a small group of us could jointly fund and pitch in enough $$$ to renovate it next year, and Win could offer a membership only area with lockers and seating.
    A private place on the mountain to boot up, and gather.
    A bar with water and power is already built in!!!
    Nostalgia preserved with a profitable future...
    Although the Paparazzi might start showing up...LOL

Would be far enough away from the base ops for exclusivity.
    Wonder if it is far enough out of the way of new VH replacement lift and base area improvement/progress???

Ahhh, just dreaming.....although:
    Dear Win, if this all works, please count me in...