XC Bike on DH trails?

I was wondering how the DH trails would ride on a hardtail, I don't have the cash for a downhill bike, but I do have a nice XC bike. In addition, are the downhill trails open when Bravo isn't spinning if one wanted to ride up? I have been wating for things to dry out a bit after all this rain, and I am thinking about riding some on wednesday

Re: XC Bike on DH trails?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike451
    I was wondering how the DH trails would ride on a hardtail, I don't have the cash for a downhill bike, but I do have a nice XC bike. In addition, are the downhill trails open when Bravo isn't spinning if one wanted to ride up? I have been wating for things to dry out a bit after all this rain, and I am thinking about riding some on wednesday
    Can't speak in particular to the trails at SB, but I rode a hardtail on downhills for 10 years until i got a new bike last summer and you should be fine. You may not be able to go as hard as you could on the dual suspension, but at least your on your own bike.

I rode my XC bike on the DH trails at Sugarbush last weekend, and I was very happy how it performed. I didn't feel like I needed any additional shock travel than I had. I ride a 2004 Rocky Mountain Slayer 70 (http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2004/slayer/slayer_70.aspx) with 5" of travel. I think that a true DH bike with something more on the order of 8" travel, i.e. the Ironhorse rental bikes, make the DH riding much easier, especially if you're a less experienced rider. I didn't encounter any drops on any of the trails that made me worry about my bike from a durability standpoint. I'm new to the whole realm of DH riding, and I will say that I found it to be pretty hard on the bike from a wear-and-tear perspective; I might be coerced to try out one of the DH rental bikes when I'm back up in a couple weeks in order to avoid that wear and tear and also to satisfy my curiosity and see what riding one of those tanks feels like. I think a hardtail on those would probably be fine if you're a pretty skilled rider. My biggest concern would be what kind of brakes you have. I have hydrolic disc brakes that are very sensitive and powerful, and I gave them a serious workout. I think the trails would be a much bigger challenge without disc brakes

I am riding on an older Gary Fisher Hoo Koo and I upgraded it from the stock Indy XC fork to a Pilot XC a few years ago. The brakes are just vee brakes, but I know they work, and I think they wold be fine riding at a slower speed. I think the biggest issue is the fork travel, I think its 80mm or something, but better than nothing.

You can ride up any time you want. The easiest routes are Sleeper Road to Pushover to Gate House, if you are going to that side or Coffee Run to Lower Downspout to Heaven's Gate Traverse to Lower Jester to Reverse Traverse to Valley House Traverse for the other side. Believe me, you'll want the "easiest." In fact, I usually walk big chunks of these uphills. What feels flat in the winter is a steep climb in the summer.

That hardtail will probably get you down most, but not all of the trails. Vee brakes aren't the best, so plan some time to cool your rims a few times. A good analogy for the DH bikes is that they are fat shaped skis and old hardtails with short travel are inflexible straight skis. Or maybe even inflexible straight x-c skis with double camber and a lot of kick wax on the bottoms. The difference is ... dramatic.

John

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    You can ride up any time you want. The easiest routes are Sleeper Road to Pushover to Gate House, if you are going to that side or Coffee Run to Lower Downspout to Heaven's Gate Traverse to Lower Jester to Reverse Traverse to Valley House Traverse for the other side. Believe me, you'll want the "easiest." In fact, I usually walk big chunks of these uphills. What feels flat in the winter is a steep climb in the summer.

That hardtail will probably get you down most, but not all of the trails. Vee brakes aren't the best, so plan some time to cool your rims a few times. A good analogy for the DH bikes is that they are fat shaped skis and old hardtails with short travel are inflexible straight skis. Or maybe even inflexible straight x-c skis with double camber and a lot of kick wax on the bottoms. The difference is ... dramatic.

John
    Geez John how did we all survive before all this newfangled equipment. I'm starting to sound like my dad. I better get home, pack my camelback with my cell phone, Ipod, GPS and get on the trails.

BTW-saw my son, Ben saturday at sleepaway camp and he is actively recruiting his bunkmates for your adventure camp next season.