Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_451
    How about some real tvs in the second floor of Gatehouse with ESPN and some Ski Movies.

I'm pretty sure that the TVs they have are "real".

How much time do you plan on spending in the lodge watching the tube?
    I hate walking into the conference room and seeing all the kids in a nikelodean(sp?) coma.
    TV= potato
    Skiing/Riding= Fun, Exercise, Healthy
    I have to agree with Mike, the tv are too small for the space. While I understand what they were trying to do, not overwhelming the ambiance with giant screens, 42" is just too small. As to what is shown on the tv, I too would like to see some sports like skiing or on weekends, football. I mean this is America for Gods sakes.
    And while on the subject, what is the deal with the Sugarbush Resort TV channel. It has to be the worst ski resort channel I have ever come across. I'm not asking for much just a snow/trail/weather report in the morning.

I would not mind having something different on the TVs. There are only so many times one can watch the commercials. There are always those days where it is 10 below before wind chill. A little variety would not hurt for frequent coffee breaks. I do not think you would find too many couch potatoes on powder days.

You guys are kidding right? If not here's a tip....stay in your condo, motel or stay home...you can watch anything you want. It's a ski area base lodge for god's sake.

I think the RSN Sugarbush channel is awesome. BTW RSN was recently bought by the CEO, a side deal with a few of his friends, of Peaks Resorts who recently bought Mt Snow and Attitash. Real Thrills with Glen Plake is a riot, especially Crash of the Day, course that won't happen to you guys as you will be in Gatehouse Lodge arguing over what channel to watch on the too small tv's.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    You guys are kidding right? If not here's a tip....stay in your condo, motel or stay home...you can watch anything you want. It's a ski area base lodge for god's sake.

I think the RSN Sugarbush channel is awesome. BTW RSN was recently bought by the CEO, a side deal with a few of his friends, of Peaks Resorts who recently bought Mt Snow and Attitash. Real Thrills with Glen Plake is a riot, especially Crash of the Day, course that won't happen to you guys as you will be in Gatehouse Lodge arguing over what channel to watch on the too small tv's.
    I'm not kidding at all. When I'm in the lodge I'd like to see something on the television other than the trail report. They display sports on the TVs in CR pub, why not upstairs. And I think the 42" tv's are too small. The are dwarfed by the dimensions of the room.

How can you say the RSN channel is awesome, when you wake up in the morning and you can't get any information about the coming day. Sure I like ski videos on off hours but it is worthless if you're looking for information.

The TV issue is an interesting one. On one hand you have the fact that it is a lodge and people will be hanging out in there when they're not skiing, and a TV (especially displaying sports) would be a welcome amenity, even while one munches on a $7.00 burger. On the other hand you have the obvious fact that people should be out skiing, not watching the tube. I have to think from some sort of administrative perspective it makes sense to not have compelling programming on during the busy periods... you don't want a bunch of people clumping up in front of a TV, taking up space in the already-cramped lodge, impeding the food-aquiring and money-spending ability of your hungry cafeteria-goers.

Of course I think the answer to this is to adapt part of the new cafeteria/lounge space into an environment in which a bunch of people can crowd around and watch the Giants or the Eagles or what have you (I'm not much of a football guy). The new base village will only really be a success if Sugarbush can effectively utilize this new cafeteria space.

As for RSN, I have no problem with it. Yes, it's a bit lame, but it's local, and it's better than having no television outlet for the resort... I've never had problems seeing the snow report on there, every weekend morning it's on scrolling by for several hours...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    The TV issue is an interesting one. On one hand you have the fact that it is a lodge and people will be hanging out in there when they're not skiing, and a TV (especially displaying sports) would be a welcome amenity, even while one munches on a $7.00 burger. On the other hand you have the obvious fact that people should be out skiing, not watching the tube. I have to think from some sort of administrative perspective it makes sense to not have compelling programming on during the busy periods... you don't want a bunch of people clumping up in front of a TV, taking up space in the already-cramped lodge, impeding the food-aquiring and money-spending ability of your hungry cafeteria-goers.

Of course I think the answer to this is to adapt part of the new cafeteria/lounge space into an environment in which a bunch of people can crowd around and watch the Giants or the Eagles or what have you (I'm not much of a football guy). The new base village will only really be a success if Sugarbush can effectively utilize this new cafeteria space.

As for RSN, I have no problem with it. Yes, it's a bit lame, but it's local, and it's better than having no television outlet for the resort... I've never had problems seeing the snow report on there, every weekend morning it's on scrolling by for several hours...
    Maybe it's me but I can't imagine anyone being lured by TV to vegetate in the lodge while they could be skiing. However there are times when I'm eating or waiting for somebody for whatever reason when I would appreciate something to watch.

Well you have the situations where it's -10 and windy and you go for a few runs and need to thaw... the situation is certainly foreseeable...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Well you have the situations where it's -10 and windy and you go for a few runs and need to thaw... the situation is certainly foreseeable...
    True, True. Although personally I like to take advantage of the paucity of lift lines on days like that. Come to think of it, I don't think I had more than one or two of those this season. It was quite temperate. Or maybe it was all that powder we were working through.

Well, according to the No TV arguement lets rip all the tv's out of the CR pub.

I am not that big of a TV watcher, but I like to keep tabs on sports happenings. Virtualy every bar, casual restaurant, and ski resort I have been to has a tv going with ESPN.
    March Showers - April Powder

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    That is a great argument. Why even have a base area? We can change in our cars, eat on the lifts and use trees for bathroom breaks to maximize skiing and when we are done we can go drinking to our condos. So let's tear down CR pub too. Here is a tip for you: think about all types of customers. Kids can't be out in all types of weather all day long. 1/2 hour break with good skiing footage goes a long way. Nobody is talking about sitting in the lodge all day.

(IMNATHO) There is more than enough entertainment in any lodge, without TV.

For some TV is a slight diversion. To many others, it is an annoyance. I can see the argument of the -5° day, or the day where the precipitation is... not quite mature enough. But if they had them and they weren't running them, people would complain. People will also complain if they are not showing something those people want to watch.

I think you should find the ability to live without the "diversion" of TV, while you are in a ski lodge.

(Is it really a diversion, if it is something you see all the time?)
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone

For some TV is a slight diversion. To many others, it is an annoyance. I can see the argument of the -5° day, or the day where the precipitation is... not quite mature enough. But if they had them and they weren't running them, people would complain. People will also complain if they are not showing something those people want to watch.

I think you should find the ability to live without the "diversion" of TV, while you are in a ski lodge.

How is it a diversion or annyoance when in all likelihood the volume is off? Does everyone at SB have ADD? there are a multitude of reasons why people may want to watch something interesting while on a break from skiing. Kids that are cold. Parents that are waiting. A few minutes at lunch or while bootingup to get the stoke fired up. Any number of things. The fact is that the current set up pleases no one b/c the people who want to watch the TVs can't see them from more than a row of tables away, if that. They are too small and some are angled in directions where few people can see them anyway. Moreover, if you tuns into the Weather Channel all day, you're going to get a couple hours of Storm Stories, or whetever lobotomized programming they're showing these days.

You either have them there, or you don't There is clearly a demand from a significant segment of the great unwashed to have them there, so why not do it right instead of a retarded half-way house that pleases no one?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman

How is it a diversion or annyoance when in all likelihood the volume is off? Does everyone at SB have ADD? there are a multitude of reasons why people may want to watch something interesting while on a break from skiing. Kids that are cold. Parents that are waiting. A few minutes at lunch or while bootingup to get the stoke fired up. Any number of things. The fact is that the current set up pleases no one b/c the people who want to watch the TVs can't see them from more than a row of tables away, if that. They are too small and some are angled in directions where few people can see them anyway. Moreover, if you tuns into the Weather Channel all day, you're going to get a couple hours of Storm Stories, or whetever lobotomized programming they're showing these days.

You either have them there, or you don't There is clearly a demand from a significant segment of the great unwashed to have them there, so why not do it right instead of a retarded half-way house that pleases no one?
    I probably would not have used such colorful analogies, but I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman

I probably would not have used such colorful analogies, but I agree.

Yikes!!
    Once again you folks have brought whining to a new high.
    All this over a TV??
    Wow.
    You really need to get out more.
    "It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba

Yikes!!
    Once again you folks have brought whining to a new high.
    All this over a TV??
    Wow.
    You really need to get out more.
    Who's whining? Just pointing out that the arguments against properly locating and sizing the TVs make no sense. The notion that people will stay inside to veg in front of the TV instead of skiing is ridiculous. It's just a straw man the people are arguing against, though no one has taken any such position. You've got TVs that few people can see b/c they are either pointing in a weird direction or they are just too small given that they are 20' off the ground. If you are going to have them there at all, then do it right. Nothing more, nothing less.