Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cinco de Mayo

Cinco de Mayo

Where was everyone today? It was cloudy and didn't rain. We had Bravo and Heaven's Gate running and the snow got soft and very skiiable. I thought that Stein's was trail of the day with good corn snow by mid-morning. Tomorrow we are planning on the same two lifts and 24 trails.

We have decided to have a Cinco de Mayo party next Saturday and to include skiing if possible. We have a sports car rally going in part of the paved parking lot Saturday and Sunday, we will plan on a BBQ outside of Castlerock Pub and a band in the afternoon. We are going to push around some snow this week to make every attempt to run the Valley House and ski Stein's next Saturday and Sunday. We may also be able to open the golf course, so there will be plenty to do here. The long range forecast is calling for a really nice warm and sunny weekend, so I hope to see a lot of you here for a final party on the snow.

Where was I? Well, couldn't pull myself out of bed till 11, then I went to Barre, then to B-town. But... I'll be there tomorrow. Looking at the calendar compared to last year, my last day for 05/06 was 4/29, so this year my last day will be 4/29. Sweet!

I guess the REAL reason why I didn't get out was because of last weekend - I went FRI & SUN and it was great conditions, with LP still 100% open, the sun shining brightly, and I in my t-shirt. That was the ultimate end weekend, and it won't be beat again this year. Still, as I was driving around today, I was thinking that I have the next 6 months to drive around. So I'll be there tomorrow for one more day before putting it all away.

I hear you, Shady, on last weekend. That was the spring skiing weekend everyone thinks about when they think about spring skiing.

But, as was pointed out to me in another thread, we are running out of ski weekends. This one is not that one, but this one is is skiing, and pretty good skiing, as long as you realize these are real, late spring conditions. There are some interesting areas, out there.

Win, as for the road rally, to me that is a race-type event. Is that what you are planning, or is it more of a car show, thing? Sounds interesting.

And I thought there were a lot more people showing up in the afternoon, today. No real crowd, but toward the end of my time (~2:45) I'd ceased being alone on any trail on any run, with a bunch of small gaggles, here and there.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

I will not speak for others but the reason I was not there since the 3rd weekend in March, I thought it was going to be my last weekend of the season. we kept getting more snow and I kept of skiing every weekend for the last 5 weekends, my significant other requested I stay home this weekend. I had a great end of a season I put my skies away 3 times this year!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrainor
    I will not speak for others but the reason I was not there since the 3rd weekend in March, I thought it was going to be my last weekend of the season. we kept getting more snow and I kept of skiing every weekend for the last 5 weekends, my significant other requested I stay home this weekend. I had a great end of a season I put my skies away 3 times this year!
    Here too. I had to get some work done at the homestead.

I was asked to dogsit. I had planned to come up but this dog is crate bound a good percent of the time and the owners are hoping I will fall in love and keep her. I did want to meet the dog and give her a good time for a change. She loves swimming in the pond and running in the woods. We call our property here in NH
    " Dog Paradise ". But she has zero training so it's been some work for me but I am not sorry I made the sacrifice. I hope I will ski once or twice more this season. Thinking about a Tucks trip. But if not , it has been an awesome year. ; } P.S. Althea still hangin' in there.

Here is info on next week's Car event in the parking lot:

The Green Mountain Piston Cup
    Presented by the Sports Car Club of Vermont
    May 5th and 6th, 2007
    www.sccv.org

Top drivers from northeastern United States and Quebec will descend upon Sugarbush Resort in Warren Vermont on May 5th and 6th. They will be competing in the inaugural Green Mountain Piston Cup presented by the Sports Car Club of Vermont. The GMPC is a team autocross competition. Teams of 3 drivers will compete in two separate cars, in a precision driving contest. Open practice will begin at 10am on Saturday the 5th, with the final timed competition beginning at 10am on Sunday the 6th. Spectators are welcome, there is no admission fee to view the event.

Autocross is a form of motorsports that emphasizes safe, low-cost competition and active participation. An autocross is a timed competition where drivers navigate one at a time through a temporary course marked by traffic cones, rather than racing on a track with multiple other cars, as in road racing or oval racing. Autocross tends to place more emphasis on car handling and driver skill than on sheer horsepower, and events typically have many classes which allow almost any vehicle, from economy sedans to purpose-built vehicles, to compete. Speeds are slower in absolute terms when compared to other forms of motorsports, usually not exceeding highway speeds, but the activity level (measured in discrete turns per minute) can be higher than even Formula One due to the large number of elements packed into each course. Autocross courses are typically 40 to 70 seconds in length. In addition to being a national-level motorsport in its own right, autocrossing is a good way to learn skills that transfer to road racing, as drivers learn vehicle control and club ethics.

The Sports Car Club of Vermont is dedicated to providing entry level motorsports for its members in guests throughout New England. Some our club activities include, Autocross, Hillclimbs, TSD Rallies and Ice Time trials. If you would like to see our schedule of events, or learn how you can participate, please see our website at WWW.SCCV.ORG.
    We hope to see you soon.

We will also have a disc golf challenge for all who show up! And, maybe a few mtn bikes to ride! You won't have to ski to have some fun, but I am hoping many will want to take some final runs down Stein's.

Sugarbush styled again! Saturday it did not rain and there where lots of smiling faces. Spillsville skied the deepest corn I can remember and no rocks. Ripcord was fantastic! and Stiens...Yum! This moring Steins again skied great and the MT even groom all of SpringFling so you could lay out large GS turns. The band was nice. Thank for all the hard work and am looking forward to two more days next weekend!

Enjoyed this last weekend....

.....moody, dramatic skies, great snow, familiar faces, and smiles all around. Even the fog/light mist turns of Sunday were great. As I headed to my car after an enjoyable morning in good company, a guy heading toward the lifts paused as I approached and asked me how it was....sort of like he might turn around. But I said "Great !" and he said "Really ?" and I said "Absolutely". I'm sure he was glad he kept on heading in the right direction.

Will be putting the punctuation point on the season this coming weekend, bringing the whole crew, and showing my little guys how to "finish up strong" !

See you then.

The Detonators are playing this Saturday afternoon beginning at 2pm. It has been cold at night so the cover is holding up Ok. Maybe we can even winch Stein's which would make it sweet for the final two days. Golf is also a possiblity for the weekend if it stays dry. We'll know on Friday. The greens look great!

Greens

Quote Originally Posted by win
    Golf is also a possiblity for the weekend if it stays dry. We'll know on Friday. The greens look great!
    Now if I can just figure out how to get my (little round) whites onto those greens (the ones with holes and flags), and not the greens that look awfully similar to deep woods.

With all this skiing, I'm feeling it's gonna be an UGLY start to ball striking season, at least for this mediocre hack.

Maybe we can even winch Stein's which would make it sweet for the final two days.
    No offense, Win, but if you winch all of Stein's, you can count me out. Spring skiing for me (and a lot of other people) includes big corn bumps. Because they're so forgiving, people who otherwise avoid bumps even find them an enjoyable challenge. Maybe a couple of passes on one side, but certainly not the whole trail.

We'll see. Good point! But even if groomed it will bump up quickly and will ski better for more hours over the two days. Young knees are great. For some of us "old guys" after 109 days, we are looking for better snow starting at 10am and to preserve our bodies for another year! I bet you will be there regardless of what we do because you can't resist! Remember the old Frito Lay advertisement. "Bet you can't eat just one." I know you, and you can't resist skiing two last days! See you at 10am on Saturday!

We'll see. Good point! But even if groomed it will bump up quickly and will ski better for more hours over the two days. Young knees are great. For some of us "old guys" after 109 days, we are looking for better snow starting at 10am and to preserve our bodies for another year! I bet you will be there regardless of what we do because you can't resist! Remember the old Frito Lay advertisement. "Bet you can't eat just one." I know you, and you can't resist skiing two last days! See you at 10am on Saturday!
    Ahh, you do know me too well. But remember... it's a short drive down to Superstar!

I'll settle for half and half grooming! See you on the hill!

By the way, Mt. Ellen skied GREAT today.

Take a look at the cam before you make the drive and check out their grooming? too! See you Saturday! You looked good going going Stein's last weekend!