Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last to be 100%

Last to be 100%

Yup. The Bush is the last resort in the state to remain 100% open.

First resort in VT to be anything greater than 0% open in November
    First resort in VT to be 100% open
    Only resort still 100% open

Those are impressive stats, even now, considering the percentage of natural snow trails that the Bush has compared to other resorts.

Hmmm... could the Bush be the last resort in VT to close?

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay
    First resort in VT to be anything greater than 0% open in November
    First resort in VT to be 100% open
    Only resort still 100% open

Those are impressive stats, even now, considering the percentage of natural snow trails that the Bush has compared to other resorts.

Hmmm... could the Bush be the last resort in VT to close?
    Unless they move back to ME, that's a big N-O. But one never knows.

Stranger thing have happened!

Doing my snow dance

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskier
    Stranger thing have happened!
    Indeed, stranger things have happened. Like back in Dec/early Jan when everyone was getting depressed and saying "its never gonna snow again" or "wtf - why is it 70 degrees in january in vermont". I kept on saying "just you wait - it doesn't hit 70 deg in VT in Jan and we don't pay for it later". Well, it did happen. Of course, everyone on this board I'm sure was remaining as optomistic as me, and then mid Jan hit. Then Feb. Then early/mid March. Who would'a thunk it.

I spoke with a friend who skied LP today and he said the 100% thing was kind of a gimick. In his opinion there were trails that should be closed but were officially open just for the sake of boasting 100% open. I forgot what trails he was talking about, I think he mentioned lower birdland, lift line, & murphy's glades maybe. Um sometimes this guy can exagerate a little bit so can somone give me a better idea of what the conditions are like? I can make it up till Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by madhavok
    I spoke with a friend who skied LP today and he said the 100% thing was kind of a gimick. In his opinion there were trails that should be closed but were officially open just for the sake of boasting 100% open. I forgot what trails he was talking about, I think he mentioned lower birdland, lift line, & murphy's glades maybe. Um sometimes this guy can exagerate a little bit so can somone give me a better idea of what the conditions are like? I can make it up till Sunday.
    It's definitely a stretch... Brambles was an interesting run today!

But if you don't mind a little grass skiing, we're still going strong at 111/111!

Lower Birdland was sketchy at the enterence and at one spot 1/2 way down, other than that it was perfectly fine Murphys Glades was also sketchy but passible. There are alot of bare spots arrouned on the mountain, but keep in mind they haven't done any major grooming in 3 days. Things will set up niclely overnight and go into a deep freeze and they will be able to patch things up and do some creative things.
    March Showers - April Powder

Remeber we are not Stratton. Sugarbush skier would perfer to ski around a small thin patch to get the rest of the trail instead of it being closed. When ASC ran it everyone bitched and moaned about their closing of marginal trails. So keep them open. If you want it perfect....groomed. Go to Flatton!

As of 8:30 this morning...

Spring Fling, THE GOOD:

Lower Birdland, THE NOT SO GOOD:

I agree with the above, both that we've had some damage, and that if there is good snow, they shoud kep the trail open.

I could care less about the trail count, but it is coming down to the last month... ( ) Put up a sign that says "Walk to the good snow", and let them go.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

It's spring skiing, folks! Personally, I love thin areas where you need to get creative with your line selection. Lower Birdland looks great in that pic! I skied the Bush on 3/25 last year and it was presumably much thinner:

The Mall:

Lower Moonshine:

I loved every minute of those runs. If I can keep my skis on and even find 8" wide connecting strips of snow, I'm cool. I'll even take a hop to connect patches if need be. All skis are rock skis, ya big bunch of babies...

I found some trails to be pretty sketchy on Tuesday. The thing that really bothered me was not grooming ME since they are closing this Sunday it would have been nice to ski something in the a.m. that wasn't a moon crater. I don't usually seek the groomers but when it vibrates your knees for the first three hours of the day it would be nice to have some forgiveness and the theory of keeping the snowpack doesn't fly if you are closing at the end of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by skiladi
    I found some trails to be pretty sketchy on Tuesday. The thing that really bothered me was not grooming ME since they are closing this Sunday it would have been nice to ski something in the a.m. that wasn't a moon crater. I don't usually seek the groomers but when it vibrates your knees for the first three hours of the day it would be nice to have some forgiveness and the theory of keeping the snowpack doesn't fly if you are closing at the end of the week.
    They didn't have much of a choice. When the temperatures over night don't drop to freezing or below (it was borderline tuesday night), it's not a good idea to try to groom. You end up with more of a mess than just leaving it alone. So it wasn't an effort to preserve snow... it's just the laws and physics of snowgrooming.

Quote Originally Posted by BushMogulMaster
    Quote Originally Posted by skiladi
    They didn't have much of a choice. When the temperatures over night don't drop to freezing or below (it was borderline tuesday night), it's not a good idea to try to groom. You end up with more of a mess than just leaving it alone. So it wasn't an effort to preserve snow... it's just the laws and physics of snowgrooming.
    Yup. So I was told. But other ski areas groomed. And I agree to not groom LP but if ME is closing anyway why not try to keep it skiable. $$$