Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Wonder if....

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Well, uh, I get a free pass for getting straight A's...

*Hehehe*...

...I go back to school and get an advanced degree in Skiology if I'll get a free pass, too ? Oh, yeah....it's the straight A thing that might be a problem. Me and my beloved C's were, uh, um, tight in college. And if you wanted an A, you had to battle your way through the B's to get there. All for a grade designation that looks like an A-frame with no snow on it's roof. Useless !

So....ON PURPOSE....I got my C's because they look like a sweetly carved pow turn. A superior grade designation if I ever saw one. So get your priorities straight, kid, or you'll never be able to turn out like me and Bluto over there !

Beer pong, anyone ? It's 9am.....

I like the idea of the frequent skier discount for season passes. What about my 50 cents off a Long Trail with a badge. Or how about frequent skier miles for real? I use my pass that's hooked to my credit card for all my purchases at the Bush. Perhaps you get Y miles for each dollar spent to include the pass itself. Maybe X miles could get you a stick of wax or a free beer or slice of pizza or maybe even a lift ticket or discount for next seasons pass or something. Even people that use the Sugarcard could benefit. Come on man we could revelutionize the industry and start something!!! Who's with me!!!! Man I've had too much coffee this morning.

By the way good to have you back Sugarboarder. I knew you couldn't live without the harrassment. You're a glutton for punishment. Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush

By the way good to have you back Sugarboarder. I knew you couldn't live without the harrassment. You're a glutton for punishment. Welcome back!
    Yes, and who else could have so quickly diagnosed the cute little monkey's questionable diet as the source of chronic health issues?

Pass pricing, affordability. . . . . priorities . .

Got to add my .02 here. . . . . if you really want to ski, and have the choices we have here in NE, while I don't like increases any more than the next guy, I love the fact that we can take our skis and go home ( or to another more affordable?) mountain.
    I have 4 kids, all of who have skied here since 2.5 or 3. All free til 7 years old. Few if any mountains do than. Then you have the bed scene in the valley. . .way less than K-Mart and Stowe. . . .so capacity is never an issue. . . . . .as WIn pointed out 9000 (a record) on Feb vaca. Sat? would have been spread out if it had not been for high winds. . . . .

even then, we got the runs that took us off the hill before they stopped ( guess it really is how hard you pound on those runs, not how many)

I have run a ski house here for years, got 11 members, who bring up COUNTLESS guests who then becoe true believers. . . . .once you drive a BMW or Benz or ski here, you at least understand why they charge more, even if you don't drive them . .I don't , still driving those Saabs. . .GM ruined and all. . . . . . but this is why folks get so upset with 27% increases. . . . . . they DON'T want to ski anywhere else. . .they want here. . . . . . . who can argue with that? But in the end they will pay the difference. That's my guess.

The market will let Win and SV know if they go too far. . .and they will adjust if need be. . . . . .. . . . . as far as cost per weekend or family? Only way I can get everyone to ski is spend the $1000 on the ski house membership, buy a pass, and another $200 for my teen, and $2200 later, I ski for as long and as many times as I want, . . . . .20,25 days. . . . . . . . . we end up paying what , $100 - $200 a weekend plus gas? ( you eat whether you are here or at home). . ... not bad.

We make sacrifices. . . .we don't do Disney every other year or resort-type vacations that cost $5000 a week+ We spend that over a 5 month peroid and go climbing and camping in the summer. . . . . . . . it is all about how bad you want to ski! Isn't that America? How much do you want something? It determines how much you will spend.

The only issue I see is 3-4 times a year people. . . . . . .and that is supposed to be some kind of avergae for skiers over all. . . . . . .. hard to make a good impression when the weather or power fails! Doh! Same with a visit to the Carribean in August-Oct, right?

Re: Pass pricing, affordability. . . . . priorities . .

Quote Originally Posted by jwt
    . . . but this is why folks get so upset with 27% increases. . . . . . they DON'T want to ski anywhere else. . .they want here. . . . . . . who can argue with that? But in the end they will pay the difference. That's my guess.
    Don't bet on it.
    Altitude is Everything

let's put this into persepective

Sugarbush - Adult All-Mountain 7 - $949 (07/08 price- could not find 06/07 price anymore)
    vs.
    Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Heavenly, and Arapahoe Basin The Big Snow All Access 5-Resort Pass gives you 7 days of unrestricted lift access at during the 06/07 season. - $439

What gives?

I'm not an economist and I'm not sure what business model the western resorts are using but it seems to be- let's get more people out skiing and we'll make more money. Eastern resorts, including sugarbush, seem to be pushing the little man, his, family, and most of his friends out of the market. Skiing is my family's priority (period). Yet, we still find it hard to make these prices. It's crazy!

asland

What gives; those mtns can subsidize their local skiers with the deep pockets of the out of town destination ski. Plus, these mtns are entranched in a pricing war...while with the death of ASC on the east coast, it appears our pass war has ended...for the moment.

sucks for us.

Re: let's put this into persepective

Quote Originally Posted by asland

Sugarbush - Adult All-Mountain 7 - $949 (07/08 price- could not find 06/07 price anymore)
    vs.
    Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Heavenly, and Arapahoe Basin The Big Snow All Access 5-Resort Pass gives you 7 days of unrestricted lift access at during the 06/07 season. - $439

What gives?

I'm not an economist and I'm not sure what business model the western resorts are using but it seems to be- let's get more people out skiing and we'll make more money. Eastern resorts, including sugarbush, seem to be pushing the little man, his, family, and most of his friends out of the market. Skiing is my family's priority (period). Yet, we still find it hard to make these prices. It's crazy!

asland
    Thats what I was trying to say.

vs.
    You and Mad Havoc have to lay off the booze.

From Vail's web site today:

Adult Full Pass Valid for unlimited access to Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone and Arapahoe Basin $1,799
    ($439 gets you 7 tickets......)

$1799 vs 949 (plus a free kid) what gives?

The $439 was only for 7 days (not 7 days a week) of skiing at either mountain. CR's price is correct. Now I've never skied Colorado, but in Utah I would equate Brighton as a mountain comparable to Sugarbush. It seems to have he same feel and great terrain in my mind. Season passes for all access go for $975 out there. SB seems in line with the west. Make no mistake though that if I could pay less I'd rather do that.

Quote Originally Posted by castlerock

vs.
    You and Mad Havoc have to lay off the booze.

From Vail's web site today:

Adult Full Pass Valid for unlimited access to Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone and Arapahoe Basin $1,799
    ($439 gets you 7 tickets......)

$1799 vs 949 (plus a free kid) what gives?
    No dude I was agreeing how hard it is getting to take your family skiing, and every year it gets worse.

One question though, is there a family discount for season passes? Say first adult cost this much, second is a little cheaper. Like suppose you don't have kids yet, or they are over 12.??

Quote Originally Posted by madhavok
    No dude I was agreeing how hard it is getting to take your family skiing, and every year it gets worse.

One question though, is there a family discount for season passes? Say first adult cost this much, second is a little cheaper. Like suppose you don't have kids yet, or they are over 12.??
    It is harder every year. However, the post read that you agreed with asland, that Vail was cheaper.

And as for kids I have 3, all under 10. All the equipment is hand me down. Bag all our lunches, Eat in at night all the time (except for the Smokehouse, which is good food and family friendly). We don't go to Disney, or frankly anywhere else for that matter.

l
    oops, sorry for my mistake. I was being to quick and misread the site for the above pass pricing. This pass I mentioned above is indeed for only 7 days skiing.

So, I called my friend in denver to make sure I go my story correct this time:

he said that if you bought your pass before November for this past season at REI or Christy Sports you could get $369 to ski Keystone, Breckenridge and A-Basin unlimited skiing during the year. He paid $30 more ($399) and he got the previous pass plus 10 days at Vail or Beaver Creek.

$399 vs. $949 - what gives?

asland

Seasonal Program Prices

Just got emailed next years prices for seasonal programs. While I think the increase of season passes are in line the seasonal programs have in my mind gone through the roof. For example Blazers program bought before 9/20 was $750.00 now you have to buy it before 5/3 and it is now $860 and ($950 if purchased between 5/4 and 9/19) Teen X was $525. now $640 ($700. if purchased between 5/4 and 9/19). and Womans turns was $525 and now $640 ($700 if purchased between 5/4 and 9/19) Which is a ~22% increase. Not mention that you now have to pay for it up front. As a family provider and taxes just paid this is going to be hard if not imposible. At least in the past you could pay for the pass just after paying taxes then pay for the seasonal programs in the fall after you have filled your coffers. Please re-consider the pricing and timing of payment.

Sugarbush Seasonal Programs Before 5/3/2007 Before 9/19/07 9/20 - 11/02/2007 11/02/2007 -
    Mini-Blazers $640 $700 $820 $859
    Blazers $860 $950 $1,099 $1,559
    Adventure Blazers $900 $1,050 $1,199 $1,279
    Mountain Teen Extreme $640 $700 $820 $859
    Women's Turn Club $640 $700 $820 $859
    Black Diamond Club $640 $700 $820 $859
    Bush Pilots $600 $800 $940 $979
    Free-Riders $960 $1,100 $1,299 $1,349
    Diamond Dogs $1,100 $1,200 $1,399 $1,459

Ouch!! Please re-consider the pricing and timing of payment.

Just to compare another angle - and what you get for your money.

I bought an "AllMtn 5" pass this year at Sugarbush for $549. This year it will be $699. (about a +27% increase)
    Blackout dates are Christmas Week, MLK Weekend, Presidents' Week. That's it. No cross-country, no discounts, no free use of the race course (course open Wed.-Sun. at Stowe / Friday thru Sunday at SB...that's IF it isn't being used for something else.)

A "StoweFive" Pass for next year is $740.

This pass is valid every day of the season except: All Saturdays & Sundays, and 12/25/06 through and including 1/1/07, and 2/19/07. NO PRESIDENT'S WEEK OR MLK WEEKEND BLACKOUTS!

5 Day Pass benefits include the following:

Cross-Country Season Pass.
    20% discount at Stowe Mountain Resort Retail Shops (non-sale items only).
    20% discount on full tune-up at Stowe Mountain Resort Rental Shops.
    10% discount at the Cliff House Restaurant and Fireside Tavern (food only).
    Free use of Exhibition Hill race course (Open Wed-Sun).
    Children receive a 25% discount on full day ski or snowboard Adventure Center school on the days the pass is valid.
    20% OFF Private Lessons Valid Mon-Fri/Non-Holiday Periods. Reservations Required.

Add in the fact that the lodges are MUCH bigger and MUCH nicer than Sugarbush, the mountain is bigger (111 trails here is an ASC-inspired joke - it's more like 50 - Stowe is listed as a truthful 44) and the terrain is equal IMO, there is a gondi for cold days, and a transfer gondi between the mountains that runs EVERY day (we have the SBX chair - but it NEVER runs weekdays - weekday pass holders must take the bus). Former US Snowboard Team coach Bud Keene is in residence there too - and the overall level of racing is better too. No offense Lew/Kelly and GMVS - I'm talking general public here, I know you guys are the best!

Oh yeah - and they have a REAL halfpipe which isn't considered an "eyesore".

Sp where is the best value? (Rhetorical question) IF I do stay in VT next year, I know where my pass will be for the $40 extra...even WITH the extra gas (there goes my "carbon offset" - boo hoo ).

This brings me back to what I was trying to say in my original post about my pass price going up so much - I wouldn't mind if I thought I was getting some sort of even semi-proportional increase in the value of having it, but I don't see it.
    Altitude is Everything