Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TimKeogh
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugaree
    As I said before, I bought a season's pass and got a free one for my 9 year old. My 6 year old skis for free. We will ski 30 days this year. So, for the three of us to ski for the day costs us $30!!! To put it another way, it's about the same as going to the movies. I can't understand how this is even debatable. Lodging, equipment, etc., is a different story. However, I just priced out 5 days at Disney World, and I can tell you, that on a comparison basis, Sugarbush with lodging is affordable.
    Sugaree, are your a member of Winterset in Newtown?

http://www.wintersetskiclub.org
    No. It is more affordable for us to go the season's pass route. I agree with MtnMan's comments. We rent for the season as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarboarder
    If I were Russian 30 years ago I probably would have been executed post haste.
    It is always the tallest blade of grass that is first to be swept by the sickle.

Yeah, but the view is TREMENDOUS before that...most don't ever get to see it!
    Altitude is Everything

Isn't it par for the course for consumers to complain about pricing. I don't think SB prices are more than it's competitors. For my son and I to ski all season for $900 is a pretty good deal.

As for lodging, again, I don't think the rates in the MRV are any worse than other NE ski areas. My family has been going to the beach in the summers and the rentals are comparably priced. The most efficient way to do it, is to share a house/condo with another family. We did this for 2 president's weeks at SB on mountain for less than $2,000 a week.

Fill up for the Subaru $50 (don't ask about the Expedition)
    Yankee Tickets $75
    Crappy movie $11
    This past sunday at SB ....Priceless

Yankee tickets?????? Yankee tickets = Yankee Fan. Well that explains a lot!

Just kidding. Just kidding. I don't want to turn this into a Red Sox vs Yankee forum. I just couldn't resist. Just couldn't. Fortunately we both made a good decision in the Bush so we can settle on common ground with a Long Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush
    Yankee tickets?????? Yankee tickets = Yankee Fan. Well that explains a lot!

Just kidding. Just kidding. I don't want to turn this into a Red Sox vs Yankee forum. I just couldn't resist. Just couldn't. Fortunately we both made a good decision in the Bush so we can settle on common ground with a Long Trail.
    No offense taken. In fact, I have a very good friend who is a sox fan who I took to a number of games at the Stadium, until the Sox won one. He's from Boston but lives near me now and I am going to try to get him into SB. Seriously, I should get extra credit for making the longer trip to the 'bush.

Agreed. We have friends in our ski house who grew up in Boston and moved to Manhatten. I have no idea how they do the drive. I know why, but I don't know how. I'd go crazy, but when you get there it's definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush
    Agreed. We have friends in our ski house who grew up in Boston and moved to Manhatten. I have no idea how they do the drive. I know why, but I don't know how. I'd go crazy, but when you get there it's definitely worth it.
    I live in upper Westchester and make it up to SB consistently in 4 hours. This past Friday it took me 5. I don't know if I could get my wife to do the drive from NYC.

No one likes an increase, but as said earlier in this thread: If you want to play, you have to pay. So, I pay. Yes it is a pretty good deal with the free pass for under 12, and all kids under 6, but that is not generosity, that is an investment in the long run future. Further, the reduced fee for the college pass just is a perpetuation of that investment in the long run future. Make no mistake; skiing is becoming less affordable to families. Not to discount the cost cutting strategies presented here, they're all good, but it is just a fact. All costs are rising. It's not just the season pass. It's the gas. It's the gear. (Not to mention Blazers.) It's all of the costs incorporated into the whole endeavor. I'm confident Summit Ventures is aware of this fact. That doesn't make the SB or the ski industry evil or greedy. It is just the way the market has evolved. I pay because I love the skiing and in particular the Sugarbush product that is why we bought here. For me and my family thus far, the non monetary return is in balance with the monetary expense. And luckily we can afford it (at least for now) Daughter #4 is due in July. If I'm not screwing myself out of skiing, I'm skiing myself out of screwing. Either way I'm screwed! The point is that we all make a choice as to where to plunk our dime down. For me and mine, if the delicate balance shifts to our disadvantage, we'll have to reinvest our dime in another endeavor. Voicing your dissatisfaction here is certainly valid. However, to imply that Sugarbush is increasing prices irresponsibly or in any manner gouging seems at best far fetched and IMHO irresponsible. (BTW Sugarborder I am glad you're back. ) I think ownership has proven time and time again that this venture is about more than the bottom line. If it weren't, then I'm fairly confident that the Summit Venture boys have the means and access to far more profitable investments with far less risk. All that said, for those of us that are already hooked, some form relief like frequent flyer miles for current/returning pass holders and multiple program participants would be a nice gesture and an investment in the short run future of all the different revenue streams: concessions, lodging, retail ect. Usually there is no compassion for the already hooked, but these SV guys continue to surprise and impress. Maybe this is one of those times.

Yard Sale, you make alot of excellent points.

30% hike is steep year over year, but I think SV has proven that the $ is going back into the mtn in a big way. Just remember how they made all that snow in January and Feb. I don't think ASC would have done the same.

Also, how does Sugarbush compare with other mtns of its caliber? I think they are generally in line, but I admit I'm too lazy this evening to look up the facts.

but the comments about "value added" and Clay Brook were out of line and not needed to support my argument.
    I'm joining the conversation late but am not sure what you're aplogizing about. With the exception of the half pipe (honestly, I could care less) you wrapped my thoughts up completely.

I also talk up sugarbush everywhere I go but that does not mean I have to blindly follow and agree with everything they do. One of the problems I find with this board is that everyone is supporting everyone elses ideas. Yes men! No dissent. very little disagreement. Reminds me of the Bush Administration and look how poular they are. I don't want the same thing to happen to sugarbush.

Rantings sometimes are needed to get out opposing ideas and they will lead to a better mountain. So, If you felt you were to hot than I'm glad you aplogized but I also hope that win has apologized to you. His comments about "Uninformed rantings are dangerous!" were way more offensive to me than anything you said.

asland

Fair point, Asland

Quote Originally Posted by random_ski_guy
    Yard Sale, you make alot of excellent points.

30% hike is steep year over year, but I think SV has proven that the $ is going back into the mtn in a big way. Just remember how they made all that snow in January and Feb. I don't think ASC would have done the same.

Also, how does Sugarbush compare with other mtns of its caliber? I think they are generally in line, but I admit I'm too lazy this evening to look up the facts.
    OMFG.
    There is hardly a valid comparison in VT.
    Stowe's prices are astronomical and they do not discount - ever.
    Okemo and Killington are close in price, but are so overcrowded on weekends the ole' CPR (cost per run) cannot match SB.
    That leaves Stratton & Mt Snow - ditto on the crowds, and their prices are higher.

Only Jay - IMHO - comes close in price and terrain. Price is actually lower. But it is a really long haul unless you live here or in CA.

(unfairly, I excluded MRG and Smuggs because I cannot stand obsolete lift technology)

Well, uh, I get a free pass for getting straight A's...

*Hehehe*...

Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by madhavok
    On a side note,

When Sugarboarder was complaining about the 30% hike for his season pass it reminded me of being at work. In March every year they jack the payroll deductions for my health insurance up like 30% and everyone gets up in arms and walks around bitching & moaning.
    Chimpanzees are more prone to diseases (diet?) than humans...costs more to keep the insurance up.
    LMAO!!!
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."