Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Volkl Skier
    Not to mention the fact that your body is travelling in a direction it wasn't designed to go. We are meant to move forward, we can absorb a great deal more shock facing something, by scruntching up our ankles, knees and waist. On a snowboard, your feet are apart and sideways, not only can you not absorb as much sideways, but the impact first hits your front foot, then travels under your CM, finally hitting your back foot. This requires a great deal more adjusting, and all the while, you have less adjusting ability.
    While your position is not without merrit, the "evidence" (quotation fingers) you use to support your position has been purely anecdotal and very subjective. There has been no objectivity to your analysis. Thus rendering your case somewhat lacking in validity and relevance. Where are your facts? Ok, we get it. You like skiing better, much better. And we care because... BTW, Why did you ever try snowbarding?

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale
    BTW, Why did you ever try snowbarding?
    Actually, he just said he did:

And yes, I have snowboarded a whole bunch of times.

LI, NY weekdays, Warren VT weekends NOV-MAY
    Not to mention the fact that your body is travelling in a direction it wasn't designed to go. We are meant to move forward, we can absorb a great deal more shock facing something, by scruntching up our ankles, knees and waist. On a snowboard, your feet are apart and sideways, not only can you not absorb as much sideways, but the impact first hits your front foot, then travels under your CM, finally hitting your back foot. This requires a great deal more adjusting, and all the while, you have less adjusting ability.
    While your position is not without merrit, the "evidence" (quotation fingers) you use to support your position has been purely anecdotal and very subjective. There has been no objectivity to your analysis. Thus rendering your case somewhat lacking in validity and relevance. Where are your facts? Ok, we get it. You like skiing better, much better. And we care because... BTW, Why did you ever try snowbarding?
    Its not a matter of me liking skiing better or not. I'm not saying everyone should ski. I tried it because it looks fun, which is the whole reason we ski/board. But the evidence I posted about edge length, lever arm, top speed, COM etc is not anecdotal, true I didn't do an all out proof for you, but I'm not going to because that would be an immense waste of time. I can't believe that people are so PC that they won't just grasp the fact, thre are two entirely different ways to do a task, one will be more efficient.

Atleast my evidence was based on the physics of the sport. Any evidence supporting equality has been, I see boarders go faster than skiers all the time. Any skier vs snowboarder comparison I gave was pro vs pro.

We're all out there to have fun, and people should do whatever bring a smile to their face, but skiing is absolutely the more efficient way based on physics, human anatomy, and world records.

Its not a matter of me liking skiing better or not. I'm not saying everyone should ski. I tried it because it looks fun, which is the whole reason we ski/board. But the evidence I posted about edge length, lever arm, top speed, COM etc is not anecdotal, true I didn't do an all out proof for you, but I'm not going to because that would be an immense waste of time. I can't believe that people are so PC that they won't just grasp the fact, thre are two entirely different ways to do a task, one will be more efficient.

Fair enough.

Atleast my evidence was based on the physics of the sport. Any evidence supporting equality has been, I see boarders go faster than skiers all the time. Any skier vs snowboarder comparison I gave was pro vs pro.

We're all out there to have fun, and people should do whatever bring a smile to their face, but skiing is absolutely the more efficient way based on physics, human anatomy, and world records.

Yardsale: where's your text in that last post? Or did you just want to repeat the conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by BushMogulMaster
    Yardsale: where's your text in that last post? Or did you just want to repeat the conversation?
    Whoops. Thank you BMM. Sorry about that. Simply, I intended to say "fair enough" to the points that VS was making. I was kind of curious as to how far he'd go to make his point, and he makes a point. But then again I ski. This debate interests me only because it is so polarized and I don't fully understand why. I mean sometimes I'll hear skiers on the lift chirping about damned snow boarders. (Generally older folks) And sometimes I'll meet snowboarders and I'll detect some level of disdane. But this debate has always made me question what's the point. It's not that it is a topic that is unimportant or unworthy of discussion. It's obviously a highly charged issue and the opinions held are strong either way. And it can be fun to debate. But let's face it. These types of debates are generally pretty circular. To a degree it's like comparing classical music to country or chocolate vs. vanilla then debating which is better.

Efficient for what task exactly?
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

You guys must be really board...er..,I mean...bored. ; }

I ski, I ride, therefore I am.

Isn't it all about the fun? Whether one debates the quality or difficulting of obtaining a ringing chord in a cappella barbershop singing or shattering a glass in operatic singing- or the velocity, spin and travel of a golf ball whacked (uh, I mean hit) using a Calloway club over a competing brand, as long as you love what you do, at the end of the day, does it really matter?
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    Isn't it all about the fun? Whether one debates the quality or difficulting of obtaining a ringing chord in a cappella barbershop singing or shattering a glass in operatic singing- or the velocity, spin and travel of a golf ball whacked (uh, I mean hit) using a Calloway club over a competing brand, as long as you love what you do, at the end of the day, does it really matter?
    No, it doesn't, but Volkl has mentioned repeatedly that it's only about fun... I'm just curious as to what goal he's referring to that skiing is more efficient for...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    No, it doesn't, but Volkl has mentioned repeatedly that it's only about fun... I'm just curious as to what goal he's referring to that skiing is more efficient for...
    Strat- my query was more philosophical about the whole topic not your specific question. Carry on!
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Strat- my query was more philosophical about the whole topic not your specific question. Carry on!
    Oh no... philosophy!

wow.

WOW

THAT is quite a vid.

Think how much cooler it would have been if he were on skis!!! He probably would have went faster and the mountain would have seemed taller. Plus did you notice how he skied all the snow off? Like there was anything left for the next guy to ski.