Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

LI, NY weekdays, Warren VT weekends NOV-MAY

Snowboards V skis

Moderator note: This topic got totally hijacked. I have split most of the posts I deemed to be about the snowboard/ski differences. I'm believing that a conversation about the differences / advantages can be discussed politely. Please remember to play nice, so that I don't have to lock this subjct. - Lostone

Quote Originally Posted by sugarboarder
    maybe this sport that is 60 percent of the market will just magically fade away and y'all can bask in the limelight of knowing you had a part in it all...throw a big party in the basebox and pat each other on the back...or maybe not.
    Do we ski at the same mountain?? From standing in the lift line, I can tell you Sugarbush is ATLEAST 75 percent skiers, just take a look at the ski racks around the lodges at lunch... I'm sure the ratio of snowboarders is highier at other mountains where the terrain isn't so challenging though.

I ski exclusively, as I feel I'm too old to learn new tricks (and I still have plenty to learn skiing wise) but in defense of the snowboarders, I have to say that it appears to be alot easier dealing with gear. They don't have to worry about poles, the boots look very comfortable and you can wear them apres, and there is only one short board. So there.

Now can we stop with the snowboard inferiority thing. POE

You wouldn't really want to wear snowboard boots apres, but on all other counts you're correct... having only one plank is awesome!

Yeah, there wasn't enough snow to build the pipe last year...

As for the skier to snowboarder ratio... I don't really know I guess but I'd have to say it's gotta be closer to 50/50 nowadays, some days I see way more snowboarders than skiers, but I dunno, it differs....

Volkl: Snowboarders can take terrain just as challenging as skiers. Don't propagate anything different.
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    You wouldn't really want to wear snowboard boots apres, but on all other counts you're correct... having only one plank is awesome!

As for the skier to snowboarder ratio... I don't really know I guess but I'd have to say it's gotta be closer to 50/50 nowadays, some days I see way more snowboarders than skiers, but I dunno, it differs....

Volkl: Snowboarders can take terrain just as challenging as skiers. Don't propagate anything different.
    I think figuring out the ratio is kind of difficult. It's different every day of the season. There have been days I've only seen one or two people on snowboards. Other days, I can't seem to find anyone else on two boards. Today there wasn't anyone at North at all ! It doesn't really matter, but I think in general there are still more skiers. That may change in the future, but that's what I see right now. I like the 65/35 number. Maybe more like 60/40. Something like that. Even in the park, I see quite a few more skiers than riders. Not that it matters.....

I thought you could wear those boots for anything. They sure look a heck of a lot easier to deal with than ski boots. I'm trying to get my daughter to snowboard so I don't have to carry her ski stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2

I thought you could wear those boots for anything. They sure look a heck of a lot easier to deal with than ski boots. I'm trying to get my daughter to snowboard so I don't have to carry her ski stuff.
    Oh they're better for everything than ski boots (except skiing). At the end of the day though, it's quite a relief to slip them off and throw on the Merrells...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

maybe this sport that is 60 percent of the market will just magically fade away and y'all can bask in the limelight of knowing you had a part in it all...throw a big party in the basebox and pat each other on the back...or maybe not.
    The latest stats show that there are 6.4m snowboarders and 6.5m skiers nationally.

Your blanket accusation that everyone on this forum are against snowboarders is nothing but a load of bull. I have 3 kids, all snowboarders, and I support them and their sport in many diferent ways. Personally, I see no diference between snowboarders and skiers.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    The latest stats show that there are 6.4m snowboarders and 6.5m skiers nationally.

Your blanket accusation that everyone on this forum are against snowboarders is nothing but a load of bull. I have 3 kids, all snowboarders, and I support them and their sport in many diferent ways. Personally, I see no diference between snowboarders and skiers.
    Except the number of boards

LI, NY weekdays, Warren VT weekends NOV-MAY

This is just simply not true. You have to be a much better snowboarder on alot of terrain. For example, there is plenty of terrain that an low expert skier could ski right down, that would require near pro level to snowboard down with the same fluidity. Bumps/tight trees for example, I'm not even close to the best bump skier I know, but in all my years of skiing, I've only met one snowboarder that can keep up in the bumps and/or tight trees. Meaning, its easier for the skier to do it, meaning skis are the better tool.

If people want to snowboard thats fine, some of my best friends/ski buddys are boarders. But lets not get all PC here, skis go faster, turn harder, stop quicker and jump higher.

OK. Let me preface my whole statement by the fact that I've never boarded, but I still have to argue this and I mean no offense by doing so, I just truly don't believe it's true. To compare a low expert skier to a pro snow boarder may be a bit off. I will admit that it does seem harder to board the bumps then ski them, but several of my buddies rip right through them and none of them are pro, although one is definitely leagues above the others. This is the same guy that will go flying by others on skis to include me sometimes. Now I'm not pro or anything, but I'm not bad. Also in the woods I almost envy the boarders. They're body is already turned to give a smaller profile going in between trees and they only have one board to content with and not worry about splitting them on either side of a tree. In powder it seems like they get better float and it's at that time and only that time that I consider giving it a shot. As for jumping higher on skis? Have you ever noticed how boarders can turn even flat terrain into a jump. Now maybe the boarders in my house are a different breed. They don't come right off the lift and flop down to strap in, they don't destroy bumps and they don't push the snow all the way down the mountain. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I also see skiers do the exact same thing. As with any sport there's a learning curve and I think that the top can be reached by any class, single plank or double.

This of course does not stop me from making fun of them whenever the oppurtunity comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Volkl Skier
    If people want to snowboard thats fine, some of my best friends/ski buddys are boarders. But lets not get all PC here, skis go faster, turn harder, stop quicker and jump higher.
    Sorry VS, I'm not buying any of this. As I said in a previous post we all have diferent perspectives/opinions on things so I definately disagree but respect your take on it. Part of your post is very confusing tho. Your statement "some of my best friends/ski buddys are boarders" is about as PC as you can get.

I was watching for a short time the halfpipe championships on TV the other night at one of the nations only new resorts, Tamerack in Idaho. It was in one of the new 18' high pipes and it was so big. I really don't know if skiers can jump higher than boarders but these guys were getting heights that just took your breath away.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

[quote="Volkl Skier"]

What difference does it make? What happened to equality?

Quote Originally Posted by Volkl Skier

This is just simply not true. You have to be a much better snowboarder on alot of terrain. For example, there is plenty of terrain that an low expert skier could ski right down, that would require near pro level to snowboard down with the same fluidity. Bumps/tight trees for example, I'm not even close to the best bump skier I know, but in all my years of skiing, I've only met one snowboarder that can keep up in the bumps and/or tight trees. Meaning, its easier for the skier to do it, meaning skis are the better tool.

You don't have a clue. Maybe you just don't know any good boarders????? Or prehaps......nevermind.
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

But lets not get all PC here, skis go faster, turn harder, stop quicker and jump higher.
    So... do you have data to back up that statement?
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Where's Sugarboarder when you need him? Who else could debunk a baseless statement like this in his stead.......

Where oh where did our Sugarboarder go. Oh where oh where can he be.

You know this is killing him and he wants to respond. Just do it SB. It will feel much better.