Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    “Not to mention the fact that your body is travelling in a direction it wasn't designed to go.”

There is one thing that rings true about this statement. When I first learned how to snowboard it seemed very unnatural to me. As a lifelong skier to that point it was like asking me to play golf left-handed, So yes, I did feel that my body was “traveling in a direction it wasn't designed to go.” If you have been skiing since age 2, learning to snowboard at age 20 can be a humbling experience.

“We are meant to move forward, we can absorb a great deal more shock facing something…”

Make no mistake, snowboarding, like skiing, is a sport of forward motion. The stance is no accident, just ask a water skier or surfer. As far as stability and shock absorption, look at how other athletes deal with this. Football and hockey players lead with a foot and/or shoulder as do boxers and tennis players. Ski jumpers land with one foot in front of the other as does a gymnast that is a bit off balance. Why? Stability. Take note the next time you sail across a hardwood floor in your socks or slide over that icy patch in your driveway. Look at what your feet are doing.

I think the core issue of this debate lies in the fact that snowboarding is a newer sport (in relative terms). I snowboarded for the 1st time in 1990 or 91. At that point, I knew very few people that truly grew up with the sport. It is really only in the last few years that we finally have “lifelong” snowboarders out on the slopes. As time passes, we will get more and more grumpy old snowboarders that remember the good old days and complain as much as us grumpy old skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    http://www.youtube.com/v/Rd8AJdcnw4A.swf

John
    Well Terje's just Terje... no doubt about it one of the best snowboarders on the face of the Earth.
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

(quote) Think how much cooler it would have been if he were on skis!!! He probably would have went faster and the mountain would have seemed taller. Plus did you notice how he skied all the snow off? Like there was anything left for the next guy to ski. (end quote)

Wow...this forum is basically a core group of ignorant people who just cant get over the fact that snowboarding exists...get a life!

Good post JA!
    Mondo 44.5

Lighten up Francis.

If you couldn't tell I was kidding. Look at the several other posts I did. When you get a chance look up teh word sarcasm.

Fine...does not change the reality of the statement though. Ski on ladies.

Mondo 44.5

Agreed there are some, but making a sweeping statement about this forum is like making a sweeping statement about boarders. Hypocracy knows no bounds.

I said *core group* - not the entire forum. Methinks someone has had a nerve touched...
    Mondo 44.5

Wow...this forum is basically a core group of ignorant people who just cant get over the fact that snowboarding exists...get a life!
    I would think you would want to go easy on the "ignorant" part if you weren't able to recognize the obvious sarcasm in MtnMan's post.

As to who is the "core group", and what do they think, maybe you want to read a few of the posts?
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

No nerve touched. I see snow in the forcast for this weekend and several tall pints of Guinness. Little can get me down or upset me at this time. I'm already in "can't wait to get to the weekend" mode after finally being bale to walk up teh stairs from this last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch
    I said *core group* - not the entire forum. Methinks someone has had a nerve touched...

Quality contribution! I am soooo enlightened. Thank You! Now go back to lurking. Come back later and make another blanket statement! [/img]
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush
    No nerve touched. I see snow in the forcast for this weekend and several tall pints of Guinness. Little can get me down or upset me at this time. I'm already in "can't wait to get to the weekend" mode after finally being bale to walk up teh stairs from this last weekend.
    The only thing that would make it bettah would be if you were snowboarding whilst drinking Guinness?????
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Now there's an idea. I'll have to dig out the ole beer helmet and of course learn to board. I hear it's so easy though.

We have seen this sooooo many times before

This thread is like a car crash. It has been happening for years (google it, you'll find countless iterations, on many BBs), Everyone involved is at fault. It inevitably ends up with people yelling at each other, and it is a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by freeheel_skier
    Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush
    The only thing that would make it bettah would be if you were snowboarding whilst drinking Guinness?????
    "BRILLIANT"...
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    http://www.youtube.com/v/Rd8AJdcnw4A.swf

John
    John, is this a family member?

Great video, even if its a single planker (sarcasm)

And I think Hattrup skied that line backwards the week before (more sarcasm)