Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    "A"

Lostone might vote III if there is an A or B involved
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    Quote Originally Posted by kcyanks1
    Forget the analogy, forget your personal preferences, become an armchair theater owner/manager for the moment, A or B?
    A, but I don't think that has anything to do with late season skiing at SB Perhaps Win did make the correct business decision. I don't know what most customers want other than those who post here. I don't have any financial information. But the theater analogy just doesn't work, IMO.
    That's cool. Appreciate your reply.
    No problem. Amazing how long this thread is getting.
    -Kenny

Lostone might vote III if there is an A or B involved
    HEY! That would be III if there was a C involved! Pay attention!

Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Being in Vermont you have to own and sell every movie theater in Vermont to buy a ski resort. Not too many mega super movieplexes here.
    You're right; perhaps I would just buy a season pass

Steins has great depth on it but I think that snowball and fling will burn out and will just be a cat tracks worth of snow that has been pushed to one side on the 21st. For the last weekend, mabey Stiens, beeing really sketchy at the bottom, and possibly a hike back to the chair with agian a very sketchy cat track of slush for Snowball and Fling.

I personaly vote for the top of Mt Ellen.

Though, what about all of the investment in snowmaking at ME for the park going to waste, please tell me they are going to load all that snow into dump trucks with a front end loader and truck it over to LP.
    March Showers - April Powder

I hate to bring this back up.... but.....

I will not criticize any of the decisions made on this issue now because, up until this point, the spring (actually, winter?) skiing has been great at LP. The cover has been good, and everything has worked out quite well.

HOWEVER, based on what I see at LP right now, I feel my earlier points and arguments have now been substantiated. My guess for Saturday is Valley House running with Stein's, Spring Fling, Snowball, and Coffee Run. That makes 4 trails. Based on the depth remaining at ME (for those of you who don't know... I live at the base, so I look at it every day), with some creative snow pushing (like Hardy and crew have been doing at LP), ME could easily be T2B this weekend with 25-30 trails open with great depth.

Like I said, I'm not criticizing the decision... it's been fun! However, I will stick to my guns on this issue: Mt. Ellen holds snow better and is a better venue for spring.

LP really lucked out this year with the 7 feet of spring snow. It has made for some of the best spring (winter?) skiing ever in the East. I'm glad it worked so well. But you cannot plan on that happening every year. The speed at which the snow base at LP deteriorated over the past week is astonishing. Had we had a normal spring, there is no way LP would still be operating this weekend.

So... cheers to a great spring at LP this year

But my vote (and the facts and the evidence) still points to ME for spring!

Yep, I was right about the trails. Here's a blurb from the website:

Quote Originally Posted by sugarbush.com
    Here's the plan: the Valley House double is scheduled to start spinning at 8 am on Saturday and Sunday and we will be skiing and riding on Spring Fling, Snowball, Stein's, and Coffee Run.

Again, to repeat, I think most everyone, including myself, agree that ME will always have better coverage LP. That's from a skier's perspective. This thread is about the resort's perspective, the business perspective. IMHO the right choice was made. Lastly, next season might be a totally diferent story, we will just have to wait and see on that.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Again, to repeat, I think most everyone, including myself, agree that ME will always have better coverage LP. That's from a skier's perspective. This thread is about the resort's perspective, the business perspective.

Well, to a certain extent, I agree. Except for the fact that, given a normal April (mostly above freezing, no more than one or two measurable snowfalls), the mountain wouldn't make it to the scheduled closing day. Therein lies the problem. Sometimes the skiers' perspective has to be factored into the resort perspective. If there's nothing left to ski on, then what good did the switch do?

I was also responding to earlier allegations (I don't remember if they were in this post or not) that LP would hold snow just fine through the end, and offers more quality spring skiing (4 trails at LP vs. a possible 15-20ish at ME.... I don't think so ).

Don't worry... I know plenty about what the resort needs to do to function as a business and meet the bottom line. I actually have as much if not more interest in the ski industry and business itself than the actual skiing.

IMHO the right choice was made. Lastly, next season might be a totally diferent story, we will just have to wait and see on that.
    Yep. But I won't be here to watch it, unfortunately. However, on the bright side, I'll be skiing at Copper Mt. and Winterpark/Mary Jane about 50 or 60 days.

trails for weekend

.... from WIN'S WORD 4/27 Friday

......We worked hard yesterday to ensure that the Valley House Pod (Snowball, Spring Fling, Coffee Run and Stein's) is in good shape for tomorrow and today we are working on the Bravo and Heaven's Gate area to have as must terrain open as possible.

From this it certainly appears that they are attempting to have more than VH for this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed! I can only ski Sunday (have to WORK Sat; stupid job!!!) so am optimistic. Last weekend I had some of the best skiing in a LONG time. If Sunday is half as good, I'll be happy![/i][/quote]

Everything says Sunday is looking like the better of the days... other than what happens to the snow, which is yet to be determined.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.