Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thoughts on closing ME before LP?

Not trying to rush this great season to a close; but I just noticed a note on the Win's Word page re: having LP be the 'late mountain' this spring..........

I had speculated that maybe the MadBus would run from LP to ME for the Claybrook peeps to ski late season; but I guess keeping LP open instead is a solution. Snowball's exposure is pretty tough for holding snow late (ASC never had much luck w/ the LP=late mountain program) but I suppose with large amts of stockpiled snow it could work. ASC always wound up w/ only Steins open.

Having skied here for the last 15 years (and before that, always coming to ME from Stowe after they had called it a wrap), I've been partial to ME for late skiing due to the elevation, exposure and because it accommodates a wider range of skiing abilities, and the deck(s) rock for apres' ski. I'll be interested to see how this works. One thing for sure, I'll be there at the end regardless of which mt is open!

Re: trips West, I came to the same conclusion as Win did; why bother when the skiing here is SO FREAKIN GOOD!!!!

I guess it is a business decision. Considering the investment that went into the LP base this year, it seems to make sense that management would want that to be the latest-open place at the resort. Althought I agree that a lot of the area is going to have trouble holding snow once the meltdown starts. This will be interesting. I will miss the outdoor deck. The CR Pub patio is not the same. Not that we won't have a fantastic time...I am sure it will be excellent no matter where we are. I just hope I have one more weekend to ski after I get back from FL on April 22. I will miss the prior 2 weekends due to travel on Sundays. If not, Easter will be the last ski day of the year for me.

When the snow at LP starts melting and we are struggling to keep 4-5 trails open the back bowls at VAIL will still be DEEP and SWEEEEEEEET!!

I'd say don't go yet - but don't throw the idea out the window either!
    Altitude is Everything

Quote Originally Posted by sugarboarder
    When the snow at LP starts melting and we are struggling to keep 4-5 trails open the back bowls at VAIL will still be DEEP and SWEEEEEEEET!!
    Yeah, and so will FIS.

I will not get into this discussion, because I will get myself into trouble. Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by BushMogulMaster
    Yeah, and so will FIS.

I will not get into this discussion, because I will get myself into trouble. Enough said.
    Haha...

It seems as though it might not be that difficult for you to obtain a snowmobile and permission to use it on Mt. Ellen... just saying...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Yeah, and so will FIS.

I think you already did - elsewhere!
    Altitude is Everything

Yeah, and so will FIS.

I think you already did - elsewhere!
    No, Sugarboarder. You have no idea. I could write a book. But I won't.

Only the lifts and base lodge will actually be closed.......

It's a pretty easy skin or hike up Mt E for those turns if it (or when it) is shut down. Don't shy away from a couple runs of "earned turns", it can be pretty good and get you ready for those spring trips to Tucks, and beyond. During the Valentines storm, I skied quite a bit at Mt E on the Thursday and found it just great, no crowds, lots of fresh snow, etc. In the age of the fritschi freeride and garmont adrenalines/endorphins, it is pretty easy to get yourself to the top when the lifts don't run................... A couple shots of upper FIS before the big dumps..............

That bottom pic looks a bit like Huntington Ravine. For real it's FIS?

By the way I like your motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush
    That bottom pic looks a bit like Huntington Ravine. For real it's FIS?

By the way I like your motivation.
    Definitely not FIS. Maybe LaGrave....the pic's say so.
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Consider my chops thoroughly busted. I didn't even open the pics up, but just went off the thumbs. Anyone have a bridge they'd like to unload?

This week is a perfect example of my concern for the snowpack on the spring trails at LP (Steins, etc.).

I looked at the mountain's WX for the week, and the temps are going to kill lower mountain. Base temps a couple of days will be in the 42-50 degree range, mid temps in the 38-45 range, but with summit temps remain in the 32-38 range. This is why ME always worked... Summit holds snow on ME unlike any other place on the mountain. While Steins is melting and becoming a river, the corn bumps on FIS will be perfect -- and I'll be having a BBQ on the Glen House deck!

I realize that it's going to cool off again, but this is an indication of how April will be... 45-50 degrees at the base, and still 30-40 at the summits. It's simple logic... the snow melts more quickly on lower mountain (significantly, actually).

This week is a perfect example of my concern for the snowpack on the spring trails at LP (Steins, etc.).

I looked at the mountain's WX for the week, and the temps are going to kill lower mountain. Base temps a couple of days will be in the 42-50 degree range, mid temps in the 38-45 range, but with summit temps remain in the 32-38 range. This is why ME always worked... Summit holds snow on ME unlike any other place on the mountain. While Steins is melting and becoming a river, the corn bumps on FIS will be perfect -- and I'll be having a BBQ on the Glen House deck!

I realize that it's going to cool off again, but this is an indication of how April will be... 45-50 degrees at the base, and still 30-40 at the summits. It's simple logic... the snow melts more quickly on lower mountain (significantly, actually).
    I am with you on this one! I've been banging my head since it was official LP will be the late mountain. I could care less about being able to walk from Timbers over to the Castlerock Pub smelling the bbq on the "patio" looking @ the old VH lodge. I'd rather be skiing a "quality" product. I will be earning my turns @ ME.....just sooner that expected
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

I think this weekend was a prime example of how higher elevation makes all the difference. On Sunday after a warm Saturday and some rain, the lower elevation trails at North were all ice (i.e. Tumbler, Cliffs, Encore and Hammerhead), but the upper elevation ones (Upper Exterminator, Upper Bravo, Black Diamond) were all soft and skied very nicely. The proof is in the pudding. I guess it's just harder to market selling a condo with, "Hey drop some big coin on this place and by the way, even though there's a mountain right in front of your door, here's a nice bus you can cram onto if you want to ski......"

WB Ahm
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.