Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Here's a perfect example of what I was talking about:

Quote Originally Posted by www.sugarbush.com
    Lincoln Peak Mt. Ellen
    Base: 43 °F Base: 41 °F
    Mid: 36.7 °F Mid: 34.8 °F
    Summit: 29.7 °F Summit: 24 °F

While Steins begins to melt away at 43 degrees (dropping, of course, to 37 degrees by the top of it), upper mt at ME is golden at 8 degrees below freezing.

This is the trend the will continue through the end of April. And, sorry... as awesome as I find the new patio outside the Castlerock Pub (which I enjoyed a lot on Sunday being sheltered from he wind smokin' a stoagie), it will never ever compare to the Glen House deck IMVHO.

I guess we'll all have to get used to the idea that all the decisions from now on will be made to satisfy the 1% of SB customers...those being Claybrook owners.
    I' d be very weery, as are many LOYAL SB customers, the positive marketing effect keeping LP open over ME will have on the resort. If anything it'll leave a bitter tasting memory of how we got forgotten about.
    There is no way you can convince me any other person that it will have a positive effect. We have all seen and witnessed that nothing has changed in the past 3 months in service at CR & Timbers. There is not enough outdoor seating now nor does CR offer the wonderful exposure that North has. Its sad.
    I will be going to Vail this April as I know there will be a nice picnic bench seat waiting for me atop China Bowl.
    My friends and I have come to the conclusion that what ever the SB thinks that they should do?
    They should do the opposite.
    Have a great Spring everyone!

My only hope is that once all of the Claybrook units have been sold it will be reverted back to North. Hopefully we give it a try this season (although I think ASC proved it doesn't work as well) and next season we'll be back to normal.

I do have to disagree about Timbers. Thier new Apres menu is pretty tasty and changes regularly. (Try the wings). As far as service goes I never had an empty beer at any time on Saturday. I thought it was pretty good, although it seemed there were quite a few less tables then before. There are only a hadnful in teh center now. Didn't there used to be more? Most people when they're done skiing like to sit. We lucked out in scoring a table, but many were standing looking for a seat, and many walked back out. As for the CR pub I don't even attempt that any more. Not until it gets re-sized. It would be nice if some music were played in Timbers. Not blaring loud or anything but as background noise.

Nothing beats the deck at North in the spring. Nothing. Well maybe something, but I don't know. Perhaps....forget it.

LP or ME late

ME is so obvious for late season as the whole area is basically over 3,000', and early/late a whole lot of winter goes on over 3,000. The terrian is also good and varied - its not just bumps. Ironically, LP has similar terrian off the top (Jester, OG and Rip Cord) but downloading on HG quad is not as easy as at ME.

The interesting question is: how long will SB stay open after ME closes? The argument that ME is better for late season skiing is moot if they plan to close on 4/15

If I owned a condo at CB I would prefer nice spring corn off ME (and a bus ride) over slush on the lower part of LP.

Re: LP or ME late

Quote Originally Posted by sglatham
    ME is so obvious for late season as the whole area is basically over 3,000', and early/late a whole lot of winter goes on over 3,000. The terrian is also good and varied - its not just bumps. Ironically, LP has similar terrian off the top (Jester, OG and Rip Cord) but downloading on HG quad is not as easy as at ME.

The interesting question is: how long will SB stay open after ME closes? The argument that ME is better for late season skiing is moot if they plan to close on 4/15

If I owned a condo at CB I would prefer nice spring corn off ME (and a bus ride) over slush on the lower part of LP.
    I agree with you that ME should be the spring mountain. But since you can't download off the heavens gate, I assume Sugarbush would download using super bravo. You'll have to take Jester down from the heavens gate when your ready to leave. I think the bigger problem is going to be keeping deathspout in good shape. But we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by madhavok

I agree with you that ME should be the spring mountain. But since you can't download off the heavens gate, I assume Sugarbush would download using super bravo. You'll have to take Jester down from the heavens gate when your ready to leave. I think the bigger problem is going to be keeping deathspout in good shape. But we shall see.
    Spring skiing isn't going to be off Heaven's Gate at all; it's going to be the lower-mountain terrain off of Super Bravo. No downloading at all. Steins and Spring Fling, I think. Win mentioned it in another post here.
    -Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by kcyanks1

Spring skiing isn't going to be off Heaven's Gate at all; it's going to be the lower-mountain terrain off of Super Bravo. No downloading at all. Steins and Spring Fling, I think. Win mentioned it in another post here.
    You've got it, kcyanks1.

he scheduled lifts for the final weeks at LP will be the Super Bravo and the Heaven's Gate lift. Mountain Operations have been anticipating this and have made extra snow on Spring Fling, Steins and Coffee Run.
    And for the record, I am not a Claybrook owner, but as I've been skiing here almost continuously for the last 20 years and volunteering for the last two, I might be considered a loyal Sugarbush skier.

I like the idea of South being open later. There are a number of others I've spoken to who feel the same way. I agree that North can be extended by downloading, but I also was there to hear the downloading complaints at the beginning of the season, and there were a lot of them.

We'll see how it goes, this year.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    but I also was there to hear the downloading complaints at the beginning of the season, and there were a lot of them.
    I can't deny that... but remember... downloading lasted a little longer than usual this year. People complained about everything at the beginning of the season, and with good reason.

I'll be honest, even though downloading can be a pain, I'd much rather have to download in exchange for a better skiing experience. Actually, I didn't hear more than one or two complaints about it at the end of last season. It's well worth it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by kcyanks1

I guess I stand corrected. Seems very odd, isn't the bottom of the Summit Chair at ME higher than the top of the Super Bravo?

he scheduled lifts for the final weeks at LP will be the Super Bravo and the Heaven's Gate lift. Mountain Operations have been anticipating this and have made extra snow on Spring Fling, Steins and Coffee Run.
    And for the record, I am not a Claybrook owner, but as I've been skiing here almost continuously for the last 20 years and volunteering for the last two, I might be considered a loyal Sugarbush skier.

I like the idea of South being open later. There are a number of others I've spoken to who feel the same way. I agree that North can be extended by downloading, but I also was there to hear the downloading complaints at the beginning of the season, and there were a lot of them.

We'll see how it goes, this year.
    Jim

Come on now. Be fair. The downloading complaints were not about downloading inand of itself. There were about the fact that the downloading season lasted WAY too long before the hill was T2B. Downloading is a PITA when it's the first week in December and everyone is joensing for snow and real vertical. It's a sweet moment of calm relaxation on a warm May afternoon after a day of spring skiing and a few pops on the deck of the Glen House.

There were about the fact that the downloading season lasted WAY too long before the hill was T2B. Downloading is a PITA when it's the first week in December and everyone is joensing for snow and real vertical. It's a sweet moment of calm relaxation on a warm May afternoon after a day of spring skiing and a few pops on the deck of the Glen House.
    I will willingly agree that the majority of the complaints I heard were that it was going on too long, but there are also a lot of skiers who HATE downloading, and some that wait until it stops, to start skiing.

Were North to be the closing mountain, and were it to be done with downloading, I would gladly do that, but my main point is that not all loyal Sugarbush skiers want it to be North, and it is not true that the only people that South is being kept open for, is for Claybrook owners / guests.

Of course, all opinions are welcome. Even those that... disagree with me.

Edit added the phrase "it is not true that ", as Tinny pointed out that the meaning of my post was exactly opposite what actually intended. ... Thanx, Tinny!
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

There were about the fact that the downloading season lasted WAY too long before the hill was T2B. Downloading is a PITA when it's the first week in December and everyone is joensing for snow and real vertical. It's a sweet moment of calm relaxation on a warm May afternoon after a day of spring skiing and a few pops on the deck of the Glen House.
    I will willingly agree that the majority of the complaints I heard were that it was going on too long, but there are also a lot of skiers who HATE downloading, and some that wait until it stops, to start skiing.

Were North to be the closing mountain, and were it to be done with downloading, I would gladly do that, but my main point is that not all loyal Sugarbush skiers want it to be North, and the only people that South is being kept open for, is for Claybrook owners / guests.

I think you forgot a "not" in that last sentence, but I get your point. My point is that I'd rather endure the downloading experience in mid-May with a deep snowpack on the upper mountain at North than the walking experience on a muddy Coffee Run in late April.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman

Were North to be the closing mountain, and were it to be done with downloading, I would gladly do that, but my main point is that not all loyal Sugarbush skiers want it to be North, and the only people that South is being kept open for, is for Claybrook owners / guests.

I think you forgot a "not" in that last sentence, but I get your point. My point is that I'd rather endure the downloading experience in mid-May with a deep snowpack on the upper mountain at North than the walking experience on a muddy Coffee Run in late April.
    Yes. And judging by the snowpack on Exterm, et. al., we'd probably have North Ridge until near the end.

Yes. And judging by the snowpack on Exterm, et. al., we'd probably have North Ridge until near the end
    Absolutely
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."