Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    As far as the Warren Parade, no politics means no parade, it's the best part. Just check the pics from last year, the political floats were the best part, especially the Condi Rice one....lol The best overall float was, of course, the Sugarbush float, it wasn't even close.

www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    As far as the Warren Parade, no politics means no parade, it's the best part. Just check the pics from last year, the political floats were the best part, especially the Condi Rice one....lol The best overall float was, of course, the Sugarbush float, it wasn't even close.
    In that case - happy I missed it. I can only imagine. Remember, approximately half the people don't think it's funny. But if that's the way you want to celebrate the independence of our great country on the 4th of July, then have at it...I have a kayak race that day with some people who get it anyway.
    Altitude is Everything

How do you know half the people don't think it is funny if you weren't there?

I think that half went elsewhere. Maybe to be with people who get it?
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    How do you know half the people don't think it is funny if you weren't there?

I think that half went elsewhere. Maybe to be with people who get it?
    You know what I mean...as evidenced by your second sentence.

What I "get" is that it is not funny to make fun of an intelligent, african-american, woman who is one of our country's leaders on a day that is supposed to celebrate what we all have here. Sorry, no thanks. But since we ARE in America you all have every right to do that of course. Just don't expect me, and others, to also find it funny.
    Altitude is Everything

Actually, poking fun at our leaders would be exactly what Independence Day is supposed to be.

Remember that during the war of Independence, there were conservatives, too. They were called Tories. They were in favor of the government, of the time. They were very upset when someone criticized the their king.

And I do expect most to find it funny. Check thru the pix SRO posted. There are a bunch of people there, and they had a great time.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    Actually, poking fun at our leaders would be exactly what Independence Day is supposed to be.

Remember that during the war of Independence, there were conservatives, too. They were called Tories. They were in favor of the government, of the time. They were very upset when someone criticized the their king.

And I do expect most to find it funny. Check thru the pix SRO posted. There are a bunch of people there, and they had a great time.
    I like the picture of Hardy with the skis in front of the Sugarbush float. Classic!

Sugar - I will first prefice this by saying at this point I have no clue whether your being serious or not, I might be old but I'm tough as nails so if I get more egg on my face I will just grab some salsa and have breakfast.

I honestly don't get how you can so worked up over an event you have never been too.

The overriding theme of the parade is to have fun. All political persuasions are represented, conservative to liberal. I liked the Condi Rice float not because of the political message but the amazing job the people who put it together did the creativity and most of all the humor. Laughter is definately the best medicine. For me the most thrilling moment came when those 2 F16 fighter jets from the Vermont National Guard buzzed the parade...twice. The power and grace and the flying ability of the pilots took my breath away.

Bummer you have a kayak race that day because I am willing to bet you would have a great time.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    Sugar - I will first prefice this by saying at this point I have no clue whether your being serious or not, I might be old but I'm tough as nails so if I get more egg on my face I will just grab some salsa and have breakfast.

I honestly don't get how you can so worked up over an event you have never been too.

The overriding theme of the parade is to have fun. All political persuasions are represented, conservative to liberal. I liked the Condi Rice float not because of the political message but the amazing job the people who put it together did the creativity and most of all the humor. Laughter is definately the best medicine. For me the most thrilling moment came when those 2 F16 fighter jets from the Vermont National Guard buzzed the parade...twice. The power and grace and the flying ability of the pilots took my breath away.

Bummer you have a kayak race that day because I am willing to bet you would have a great time.
    OK - I have the egg on my face...I said "no politics" and then promptly degenerated into some. I apologize to the Forum members for that. One thing though - I didn't say I have NEVER been to it, I said I didn't go LAST year. I've seen the parade and enjoyed it too. Again, it's hard to tell the spirit of a post on the 'net - I'm not "worked up" - I'm just stating my feelings about what seemed to me to be a reference to making fun of someone I respect...and you were just saying you liked the float, which I took and ran with in the wrong direction...my bad. I think my aversion to Al Gore got me going!

Everyone knows where I stand politically now, which is fine of course, so now we should all just go back to playing nice.

I'm not that bummed I have a race on the 4th - it's a great time with a big turkey roast afterwards on a private farm in Contoocook, NH. I really didn't find the Warren parade to my liking, just not my cup of tea. I'm used to the parades where I grew up which are more of the classic July 4th celebration, and don't include any political leanings one way or the other. F-16's are be good to see though - really echoes off the mountains around here (sorry Slide Brook bears!).
    Altitude is Everything

More like "An IRONIC Truth" seeing how his mansion probably uses more energy in a month than my house in a year or instead of flying with everyone else on a commercial jet he uses a private jet just for one or a few people. Real conservative of energy.

Well to stay off of politics for now how about "GREEN Mountain Boys (and girls). Fighting the battle to save our planet"

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush
    More like "An IRONIC Truth" seeing how his mansion probably uses more energy in a month than my house in a year or instead of flying with everyone else on a commercial jet he uses a private jet just for one or a few people. Real conservative of energy.

Well to stay off of politics for now how about "GREEN Mountain Boys (and girls). Fighting the battle to save our planet"
    Sounds like a little bit of O'Rielly's "No Spin". However, Gore's hypocracy doesn't diminish the validity nor the sadness of this truth.

O'Reilly..?..?. now thems seem like fighten words.......

My politcal orientation aside I can't argue that we all need to do our part to help preserve what we all care so much about and why we choose VT as either a home or a year round destination and not just a ski stop.

hijack!
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

My earlier post was legit. I suggested "Green Mountain Boys...." You know with the emphasis on Green. Wasn't trying to hijack. Apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush
    O'Reilly..?..?. now thems seem like fighten words.......

My politcal orientation aside I can't argue that we all need to do our part to help preserve what we all care so much about and why we choose VT as either a home or a year round destination and not just a ski stop.
    Understood. MM4B, my aplogies. I didn't mean to come off as hostile nor judgemental, but apparently I did.

Scanning the radio dial last week on my way home from work and coincidentally O'Rielly was beating the drum about the irony of Gore's and his oversized carbon footprint. O'Reilly's act, attacking Gore as a hypocrit. Intentionally or not, he also seemed intent on underminig the validity of points made in that film. As you said, "we all need to do our part to help preserve what we all care so much about and why we choose VT as either a home or a year round destination and not just a ski stop." Clearly, we are all very fortunate on this forum to be able to enjoy this little slice of heaven, the MRV, and express our appreciatrion for it here.

Oh man - this could get ugly...I'll just go have some coffeee and keep my mouth shut...

Save the melting Martian Ice Caps!!

...well, maybe not!

Are floats concerned with the ecology of Mars allowed in the parade??
    Altitude is Everything