Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Found this link on the Boston Globe home page

Ski Guru?

http://www.explorenewengland.com/tra...ush_vt_po.html

"Spring News: Keeping South Basin Open for this spring instead of North (Mount Ellen).

Repeat - - - Keeping South Basin open instead of north!

New England has not had lifts spinning over this terrain on a warm April day in many years!"

This is confirmed??

...South Basin? It hasn't been called that in twenty years...

Nice find Senor Danger.
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Also interesting in that article/blog/whatever........... the Mall Double.

So it looks like I have the name for the new chair in my proposed 07-08 map.... forget the Clay Brook Chair....
    let's take a ride on the MUBBLE! I like, I like.

Interesting! I guess I will make it official. We will keep Lincoln Peak as the late mountain this year. That is why we blew extra snow on Stein's, Snowball, Spring Fling and Coffee Run. We will try to last through April! We think the new base area will be a great spring party venue. All ME season passes will be honored this year at LP after ME closes since many assumed that ME would be the later mountain when the passes were purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by win
    Interesting! I guess I will make it official. We will keep Lincoln Peak as the late mountain this year. That is why we blew extra snow on Stein's, Snowball, Spring Fling and Coffee Run. We will try to last through April! We think the new base area will be a great spring party venue. All ME season passes will be honored this year at LP after ME closes since many assumed that ME would be the later mountain when the passes were purchased.
    Is there an echo in here?

Sincerely,

Evil TWin Woodsman

Does this mean the upstairs bar at Valley House will be open for one last SPRING FLING????
    Altitude is Everything

Awesome news Win! Thx ...

-Jay

Quote Originally Posted by sugarboarder
    Does this mean the upstairs bar at Valley House will be open for one last SPRING FLING????
    VH for Sprin Fling! That would be nice! Wouldn't hold my breath. This is definately for Clay Brook.

ME is better in the spring time(IMHO)......C'Mon people. Besides there is nothing better than having a beer @ the Glenn House before downloading

Just hope LP holds the snow
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Quote Originally Posted by freeheel_skier
    ME is better in the spring time(IMHO)......C'Mon people. Besides there is nothing better than having a beer @ the Glenn House before downloading
    I agree! Can't beat FIS in late April. Just look at this:

I understand the move, considering Claybrook, et. al. But I just don't think you can ever make the same spring skiing atmosphere on the South side. Stein's just doesn't do it for me, sorry! MT ELLEN SPRING SKIING: LIVE LONG, AND PROSPER!

Just hope LP holds the snow
    I'm definitely concerned about this. Very concerned. But a lot of snow was blown, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Win: I have a hypothetical for you. Let's assume, for the moment, that April 6th (or whatever the last day at ME is) rolls around and ME is still nearly 100% open with decent coverage. The Saturday/Sunday numbers at ME are still in the 1500+ range. Do you keep it open, or just leave all that great snow sitting there? Just curious! It may have something to do with the fact that I live at the base of ME, not the base of LP!

Logistically, hypothetically, realistically, logically....ME holds the snow better. Really, what gives

I generally prefer South, but I think North has the perfect set-up for late-season skiing with the high elevation summit lift and GMX available for downloading. I guess, though, if the goal is only to get through April, rather than into May, the snow preservation isn't quite as important.
    -Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by kcyanks1
    I generally prefer South, but I think North has the perfect set-up for late-season skiing with the high elevation summit lift and GMX available for downloading. I guess, though, if the goal is only to get through April, rather than into May, the snow preservation isn't quite as important.
    That is exactly what "they" are thinking.....what happend to quality of product???? It counts when making snow....what about when skiing it come spring time?

North is ahead, but only 14 * 11 in this poll, but I'm one who voted for South.

Stein's is good, but I like Ripcord more than FIS. And I've had a bunch of spring flings on Spring Fling in May, before.

They're both great mountains, on their own, but I like South better.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Clay Brook - "Muffy, we can't be SEEN riding the bus!"
    Altitude is Everything

Quote Originally Posted by sugarboarder
    Clay Brook - "Muffy, we can't be SEEN riding the bus!"