Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    North is ahead, but only 14 * 11 in this poll, but I'm one who voted for South.
    Lostone: I feel like I need to point at that, while these polls are great for us to look at, they are by no means representative of the entire market Sugarbush is marketing for. In this forum, we've voted (yes, by a somewhat small margin) for Mt. Ellen. Of course, I'd love to see ME as the spring skiing spot... I think it's absolutely perfect. But I think we'll just need to watch this year play out. Maybe the response will be great, and South will become the new long-standing spring mountain. Maybe not. I also need to point out that, in the past (I don't know exactly what years, so don't ask ), the Bush has tried to keep LP as the spring mountain, and it never worked... the response wasn't great, and the skiing was definitely not as good. But again, we'll just have to watch and see what happens this year. I personally don't think it will work as well over on the South side, and next year, we'll be back on FIS April 30th. Who knows.

WHAT???? The polls on SkiMRV are NOT representative of the whole market??

Blasphemy! (Or is it heresy? )

As for the response, I spoke to many that love South in the spring. ( And no... They weren't sitting around the fireplace in the old Gatehouse Lodge )

I think the response was not bad because of the late mountain being South, but because the late skiing always has a poor response. And that is sad. When you think of what we have when we open, and everyone is going crazy, and what we have when we close, and people just don't come up...

But you are right... We'll see.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Ripcord more than FIS? Sooooo, you're not a bump skier, then?

Stein's is good, but I like Ripcord more than FIS. And I've had a bunch of spring flings on Spring Fling in May, before.

They're both great mountains, on their own, but I like South better.

Stein's is good, but I like Ripcord more than FIS. And I've had a bunch of spring flings on Spring Fling in May, before.

They're both great mountains, on their own, but I like South better.
    It's not about which mountain is better. It's about which mountain is a more appropriate late season venue. All of the Summit pod is at 3000' or above and it all faces N or NE. You've got the GMX for downloading and the perfect atmosphere with the Glen house and deck.

Not one iota of the spring skiing at LP will be above 3000' and anyone who wants to take it all in over a frosty adult beverage will do so facing a wall of rocks. Yay!

This is a bad move from a pure skiing perspective - I'm not sure how this can be argued. It's clearly meant as a benefit for CB owners. Guess that pays the bills and such, but it's antithetical to a long, quality spiring skiing season.

Don't read this foolishness

When you think of what we have when we open, and everyone is going crazy, and what we have when we close, and people just don't come up...

Shhhhhhh!!!!

No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)

I don't know if I can blame them really, with the advent of the Clay Brook and so many customers who have becomed accustomed to it, it would be actually turning away customers to shut down that facility. Will the snow quality/cover/be quite as good? Probably not, but SV has already suprised us with great things this year... let's wait and see if this move isn't a home run (or at least, a solid double).
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    It's not about which mountain is better. It's about which mountain is a more appropriate late season venue. All of the Summit pod is at 3000' or above and it all faces N or NE. You've got the GMX for downloading and the perfect atmosphere with the Glen house and deck.

Not one iota of the spring skiing at LP will be above 3000' and anyone who wants to take it all in over a frosty adult beverage will do so facing a wall of rocks. Yay!

This is a bad move from a pure skiing perspective - I'm not sure how this can be argued. It's clearly meant as a benefit for CB owners. Guess that pays the bills and such, but it's antithetical to a long, quality spiring skiing season.

Tin.. I do believe you read my mind! You just articulated it better than I would have.

I won't deny the possibility that spring skiing at South will be great, and a huge hit. However, it is still my strong belief that North is, by quite a long shot, a better general venue for spring skiing. I know I personally won't spend as much time on the hill through April, because it's not worth it to me to use the gas to get over there for that spring product. Right now, I ski every day. In April, maybe I'll ski weekends. We'll see. But then... I'm not paying the bills for SV... I've got a season pass. The only money they'll really make off of me is in F&B.

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    I don't know if I can blame them really, with the advent of the Clay Brook and so many customers who have becomed accustomed to it, it would be actually turning away customers to shut down that facility. Will the snow quality/cover/be quite as good? Probably not, but SV has already suprised us with great things this year... let's wait and see if this move isn't a home run (or at least, a solid double).
    A solid double? More like being robbed of a HR by Matsui in the 9th inning
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Sugarbush isn't just for the personal use of Clay Brook residents. And it is a fact ME is the better mountain for early and late skiing. Why make a decision to keep LP open just so CB residents don't have to ride the shuttle?

My biggest concern is how can they recreate the feeling of sitting out in the sun with a Long Trail in hand on the ME Deck watching a bunch of kids on the pipe (or this year jib park. I can't believe I just used the word "jib" in a sentance by the way.) I can think of no better way to end a season. I really enjoy the "old school" atmosphere of the deck. But now there is no deck, no sunning area, and no skiing entertainment to watch. Maybe I'll just go grab a sixer and sit out on the Glenn deck by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush
    Maybe I'll just go grab a sixer and sit out on the Glenn deck by myself.
    I'll meet you there. We'll hike and ski FIS, and then retire to the Glen House deck.

Sounds like a plan. We may have to do it about 50 times though to get it nice and bumped up, but that will just make the LT taste that much sweeter. Maybe even better we could get a whole crew of people to do it and get a keg and bring up a grill.

Sounds like a plan. We may have to do it about 50 times though to get it nice and bumped up, but that will just make the LT taste that much sweeter. Maybe even better we could get a whole crew of people to do it and get a keg and bring up a grill.
    Hmmm... now you have me thinking. I know how to operate a chairlift... couldn't be too hard to break into the bottom shack of Summit. We'll just run it for us. Hike to Glen House, ride Summit all day. Win will never notice the extra electric cost! And I can operate a snowcat to push around the snow when it starts to disappear! --Don't worry Win, I'm just kidding We'll hike!

Of course, the good thing about just skiing FIS (once you get there) is that it's only a few hundred vertical feet to hike to do it again!

You is talking loco and I like it...

How about though, just putting this out there, at the end of the season for ME they bring in the cats and sculpt a bump run right there were the half pipe used to be. Since they're not using the rest of the mountain for skiing they won't need all that snow for anything else so they can build it up a bit. Don't turn on the chair, we can hike up and ski down. They break out a grill and some kegs on Saturdays only and get you a few bucks a beer and now they're making some F&B with minimal expense. It may not have too steep a pitch, but it could be fun just messing around on a nice spring day in the sun. I just can't let go of the deck. Can't do it. Won't do it.

You is talking loco and I like it...

How about though, just putting this out there, at the end of the season for ME they bring in the cats and sculpt a bump run right there were the half pipe used to be. Since they're not using the rest of the mountain for skiing they won't need all that snow for anything else so they can build it up a bit. Don't turn on the chair, we can hike up and ski down. They break out a grill and some kegs on Saturdays only and get you a few bucks a beer and now they're making some F&B with minimal expense. It may not have too steep a pitch, but it could be fun just messing around on a nice spring day in the sun. I just can't let go of the deck. Can't do it. Won't do it.
    I'll take a bump course!

Now here's an idea, though... since there will still be tons of snow on Inverness when ME closes, push all of the snow on the lower half into a bump course. Not too much hiking, nice sunny skiing, enough pitch, watch it from the deck! Can't beat it!