Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power Outage!

Power Outage!

Yikes... what a wild day!

Skied ME until around 12:45 when the power went out to the entire valley . Guess it was the substation. Power was out until around 3:00. I stuck around to help out wherever I could... it was pretty crazy. No food service, no flushing toilets, no lifts (duh!), no running water, no anything! Well, there was beer and soda upstairs in the Green Mt. Lounge, so that was a plus for all of the guests!

The guests were all properly compensated for their loss and frustration... today's day tickets can be brought to the ticket window any single day for up to a year, and they will receive another ticket. Definitely kept people happy.

Lifts clearing on diesel aux seemed to go pretty well. It took a little while to get some of them moving, since a lift mechanic has to be there to fire up the motor. But, everyone got down safely, and only one person jumped that I know of!

I feel compelled to say it again... what a wild day!

Overheard today

If it weren't for bad luck, Summit Ventures wouldn't have any.

I left around 12:15 and actually there was no power outage in the valley...or at least at my place, the Warren Store and Waitsfield village. Pretty weird indeed.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Definitely not power out in the entire valley, haha... well does Moretown count as the Valley? I think that debate's been going on for a while...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

LOL - I went to Smuggs today !

I went to Smuggs today because of $29 lift tickets thru Connecticut Ski Council

While I was waiting in excrutiatingly long lines (15-20 min avg), I was missing the Quads and short lift lines - looks like I made the right decision though!

My neighbor went to SB today, left around 2PM w/o getting a voucher - also mentioned something about a kitchen fire ????

Re: Power Outage!

Quote Originally Posted by BushMogulMaster
    Yikes... what a wild day!

Skied ME until around 12:45 when the power went out to the entire valley . Guess it was the substation. Power was out until around 3:00.
    Having skipped the day because of the expected crowds I can say for certain it was not the
    entire valley as I live off the Access road and didn't have even a hint of power out. What ever it
    was was isolated to the mountain ops and nearyby.

Quote Originally Posted by beelze
    Having skipped the day because of the expected crowds I can say for certain it was not the
    entire valley as I live off the Access road and didn't have even a hint of power out. What ever it
    was was isolated to the mountain ops and nearyby.
    Interesting. The word they were given said it was a regional outage. MRG was out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TimKeogh

My neighbor went to SB today, left around 2PM w/o getting a voucher - also mentioned something about a kitchen fire ????
    They didn't give out vouchers. Guest were instructed to bring back today's tickets to the ticket windows for up to a year and they would receive another ticket. It would have been a bit wasteful to print several thousand vouchers, you know

If the kitchen fire talk was about ME, no... there wasn't. What happened was........ when the power went out, the kitchen exhaust fan went off, and all of the smoke from cooking burgers, etc. was flooding into the lodge. Wasn't a problem... just opened a few doors!

Wow - the biggest storm in years followed by three days of howling winds and then a power outage. Guess there is a price for that much snow all at once. My road and driveway up here on the Warren side of Roxbury Gap actually just got cleared today by the bucket loader.

BTW - no power out here today at all...and I would have known since I'm house bound with the flu since Wednesday.
    Altitude is Everything

Quote Originally Posted by BushMogulMaster
    Interesting. The word they were given said it was a regional outage. MRG was out as well.
    I'd say Saturday of Presidents' weekend, sunny, warm, 40" new snow, the only region that matters is LP/ME/MRG.... It was the German Flats Rd substation that feeds the immediate on mountain locations that had a "short".
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Gee, do you think this is what happens when every light in the Clay Brook and (new) Gate House Lodges is left on??

Mike

No... I don't think that.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Can noski (Susan) get GMP to admit what really happened ?
    Maybe they have some fiscal responsibility in this situation.

"Workers had not determined the cause of the problem, but damp conditions caused by melting snow could have played a part, Schnure said."

This Free Press article explanation sounds quite dubious to me. Doesn't snow melt every year, and um. yeah. wasn't it in the mid '20s that day ?

They owe Win a much better explanation and assurances for the future...

Gee, do you think this is what happens when every light in the Clay Brook and (new) Gate House Lodges is left on??
    Let's do the math.

A fully illuminated Clay Brook has 61 units times 18 light bulbs (on average) at 60 watt each = 29,280 Watts

1 Hp =746 watts

Therefore it requires 39.24 Hp to power all the lights in Clay Brook.

A typical SUV (sadly, what most all Clay Brook owners need to drive) generates about 210 Hp. Therefore the total power brought to the MRV by Clay Brook owners is 210 times 60 = 12,600 Hp.

Subtracting all the power required to light all the lights in Clay Brook from the power imported by Clay Brook owners gives us a surplus of 12,600-39.24 =12,560.76 Hp. or 9.37 megawatt.

This should be more than enough power to light up all the light bulbs in the Gate House.

Conclusion: Clay Brook is self sufficient and also has nearly enough power to supply the entire valley and therefore cannot be blamed for any power outages!

(Note: I am an engineer, but I don't play one on the television.)

Subtracting all the power required to light all the lights in Clay Brook from the power imported by Clay Brook owners gives us a surplus of 12,600-39.24 =12,560.76 Hp. or 9.37 megawatt.
    Yeah ! Let's get nightskiing going on Organgrinder with all the excess wattage.

Yeah ! Let's get nightskiing going on Organgrinder with all the excess wattage.
    Have you no soul? I came to the MRV to escape that sort of thinking.

However, night skiing on Middle Earth, Hmmmm, now that would be the ticket.