Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Power Outage!

Good to see this response, but man I hope they're not telling us that the "abundant snow and ice buildup" caused this. It's winter in the Green Mountains at 1600'. That stuff happens just about every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    Good to see this response, but man I hope they're not telling us that the "abundant snow and ice buildup" caused this. It's winter in the Green Mountains at 1600'. That stuff happens just about every year.
    My sentiments exactly.

Madbush Substation

I live about 50 yards from this facility on Two Ponds Rd. Win did a great job directing traffic once trucks were on scene (enabling me to get out of my road w/o being killed). Win probably would have climbed that fence and fixed it himself given the chance! The skiing Sat AM was FANTASTIC; got more than a day's worth of fun in the 4 hrs I was at North....

However, part of the time spent 'repairing' the outage was actually spent moving the snow to access the gate to the substation. It was still piled w/snow at 1:30 when I got off the shuttle there. Seems in future GMP would plow it out as soon as the snow stops to allow access?

Would have saved some time (how much I do not know) in the T/R -troubleshoot and repair-

PS is the Substation really at 1600 ft elevation? I've often wondered what the elevation is at my place!

Re: Madbush Substation

Quote Originally Posted by saabski
    However, part of the time spent 'repairing' the outage was actually spent moving the snow to access the gate to the substation. It was still piled w/snow at 1:30 when I got off the shuttle there. Seems in future GMP would plow it out as soon as the snow stops to allow access?

Would have saved some time (how much I do not know) in the T/R -troubleshoot and repair-
    I actually sent her a reply email to this effect, suggesting that they do like Waitsfield Telecom and pay LOCAL plow people well to make those substations a priority plowing for this very reason.

Edit 2:10pm: GMP lady called me to tell me that she agreed, the plowing was an issue, but fwiw, and frankly of little consolation, time was not lost since their electrician had not arrived on scene yet. They are building a detailed timeline to figure out what/when on details and then evaluate and modify noted deficiencies.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Re: Madbush Substation

Quote Originally Posted by saabski
    PS is the Substation really at 1600 ft elevation? I've often wondered what the elevation is at my place!
    Google Earth has Two Ponds Road at 1540 to 1510 feet.

I think it might be a bit less than that, by maybe 100' feet or so? 1400' sounds better to me, and 1600' is all wrong for sure.
    March Showers - April Powder

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_451
    I think it might be a bit less than that, by maybe 100' feet or so? 1400' sounds better to me, and 1600' is all wrong for sure.
    According to Topozone, it's between 1500' and 1600' depending upon where along the road you are. The Google Earth estimate is probably accurate, but it's not 1400' for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_451
    According to Topozone, it's between 1500' and 1600' depending upon where along the road you are. The Google Earth estimate is probably accurate, but it's not 1400' for sure.
    Three letters... G P S
    Altitude is Everything