Roxbury Gap question.

Quick question if you don't mind,

Is the Gap ok for tonight? Probably going over around 8pm.

Thank you.

Gap should be fine. Take your time, use lower gears and less brake on desent.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

With the blowing from the wind, I wonder if you'll really save any time on the gap, tonight?
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

I live up there - it's fine...my road and driveway however are another story!!
    Altitude is Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    With the blowing from the wind, I wonder if you'll really save any time on the gap, tonight?
    Weather service wind warning is until 5pm, so wonder if it will calm down by the time Slaw heads over. Not to worry, Slaw, I am sure we will find you in the spring.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Not sure but even at a push I prefer that route. Puts me on the right side of SB for me. I usually go exit 4 but will go to 5 tonight.

Sure, you guys want it all for yourselves, I get it!!!

I do want it all for myself, but my point was just that I doubt you will save any time after this snow, by not taking better condition roads.

And the time it will take either way won't add up to a run, tomorrow.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Unless you live in Northfield I agree with lostone
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

If you have to ask the question Why waste your time

"If I had a magic wand and I could change skiing. I would make it exactly the way it was before snowboarding came along." G.P.

I'm not kidding guys and gals - the gap is fine...NOT a problem at all.
    Altitude is Everything

Quote Originally Posted by sugarboarder
    Sug, You're a lucky man. I'm jealous. The houses I see on my way over the gap are all pretty interesting. Living at elevation must be nice.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago when we had a pretty good Friday night snow fall 8 inches or so maybe more maybe less. I debated with my self while my wife and kids slept wether or not to shoot the gap. Since everyone was sleeping I figured it was my time to burn. If the road did not lookgood I would head back out to 89 and exit 9. 12 A seemed to be virtually unplowed with heavy ruts and such, but overall the snow was light and fluffy and travel was no problem. When I got to Warren Mtn Rd. it was pristine. A dusting over meticulously plowed road. The Gap was a breeze. So my question to you seasoned vets and bonafide locals is was this an unusual occurance or is this the norm? Thoughts anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarboarder
    Sug, You're a lucky man. I'm jealous. The houses I see on my way over the gap are all pretty interesting. Living at elevation must be nice.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago when we had a pretty good Friday night snow fall 8 inches or so maybe more maybe less. I debated with my self while my wife and kids slept wether or not to shoot the gap. Since everyone was sleeping I figured it was my time to burn. If the road did not lookgood I would head back out to 89 and exit 9. 12 A seemed to be virtually unplowed with heavy ruts and such, but overall the snow was light and fluffy and travel was no problem. When I got to Warren Mtn Rd. it was pristine. A dusting over meticulously plowed road. The Gap was a breeze. So my question to you seasoned vets and bonafide locals is was this an unusual occurance or is this the norm? Thoughts anyone?
    Not unusual...8" is a dusting However I think the Roxbury Gap can be plowed better than 12a or 100 However roll the dice...Winter can be as bad as mud season....maybe not
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

We have a house right off the gap road (Shady Tree) and I've never had a problem in the winter although I've seen some people stuck right at the top that couldn't make it. Some of the people stuck there have been pretty interesting to include a semi earlier this year and last year a Doritos delivery truck. (My buddy gave him a lift to his place and he hooked us up with tons of chips). I've even made it over with a light covering in our Acura which has balony skin racing slicks (Came with the car when we bought - We have no use for them, but they look nice nd didn't cost us extra so stop laughing). As long as you have good snow tires almost any car can make it up any time in the winter. To me the spring is the worst. It get's really rutted really fast and can make for some treachorous driving. I've seen 6-8 inch soft ruts. Nice little axle breakers. Even in conditions like that though you see people in Mercedes low to the ground attempting it. I always wonder how far they make it.