Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How Does Sugarbush Rank With You?

Okay, I'm a post-a-haulic tonight for some reason. Maybe its the thought of a big dump coming, or maybe its just the natural high I'm on from an awesome weekend of riding. Whatever the case....

How does the 'Bush rank in your books? Have we all ridden the Bush for years? Only a few? Do we go anywhere else (outside the Valley)?

Personally, I have been coming here since 1990. It was the Bush that made me want to move to VT from CT, a dream I realized two years ago. This is my first year with a Bush season pass (Mt Ellen) and while I go there about twice a week, I also try to get out to other areas, depending on discount tix I have. I was an ASC passholder for 2 years but scrapped that for this year, barely made it break even last year. Cost me too much $$$ in motor vehicle tix - the cops down south don't like us northerners. Okemo holds a place in my heart as it was the first mtn I snowboarded at and was easy for day-trips from CT.

Now, the Bush ranks highest on my list. I've been out 17 times so far (have to make a living) and of those times, 10 have been to the Bush while the other trips are mtns down south.

Just curious. That's all. I'm bored.

-Jay

Sugarbush is my favorite in the state. It has the best combination of groomers, bump runs, steeps, glades, natural beauty, natural and manmade snow and lifts. It now has the best lodge food in the state too thanks to the new Gate House, no doubt about that. Come to think of it SB is not just not my VT favorite, its my favorite for the entire east.

Stowe and Jay are tied for second in my book. Sugarloaf and Sunday River thereafter.

SB is tops for me, though Stowe is a close second, followed by MRG. The rest are all tied for last.

Reasonable people could switch the top three and I really wouldn't be able to argue. You could probably even get a few votes in there for Smuggs, Jay and, in a good year for coastal storms, Burke. The rest is just noise.

#1 SB (by a long shot)

#2 Jay
    #3 Mt Tremblant
    #4 Okemo (weekday only)
    #5 Stratton

#10 Stowe - The lift ticket prices are outrageous and the quad on the front four is always crowded, even on weekdays

Sugarbush is definitely number 1 for me by 1000%. Magic and MRG are in second, Jay third.

SB and MRG are 1-2. I might put MRG first, but it's close, and I really haven't skied MRG enough to make the judgment for sure. Jay is 3rd, and it goes downhill from there. I suspect that if I had more time at Stowe (only been their once and it was late season with not a lot open), and any time at Smuggs or Sugarloaf, those might deserve some consideration to be in my top 3.
    -Kenny

I've never been out west (Going to Utah at the end of the month for the first time) so my opinion is purely EC based. So let's see here. I have a season pass, have rented a house up here for the entire season with wifey and friends for the past 5 years and will likely buy in a year or two, have skied 16 times this season so far, all at SB. Ummm. I'd say SB is like 17 on my list.......... Or maybe number 1. Seriously though I love SB. My uncle lived in Northfield so I'd always be up hiking, hunting and fishing as a kid, but never skied the Bush until I went to college at Norwich.(My grandfather used to take me to King Ridge) I worked at the Wunderbar while in school and skied when I could. After college that was it for me. I love SB and I love the area. Nothing is more East Coast in my mind then SB. The trails, the people, the town. I love it all. Is there a more memorable trail than Middle Earth on a powder day. I can't remember many other specific days of skiing at other places or other trails (Thank you beer), but I can remember powder days on ME vivedly and they get me through my golf season as I'm slicing balls off of trees and skulling them off rocks thinking of skiing. So let's go to the scorecard:

1. Sugarbush South
    2. (Close second I might add) Sugarbush North
    3. Reserved for if SB ever expands
    4. Buffer between SB and other mountains
    5. MRG
    6. Sunday River - Only reason this got in the ranking was the addition of Oz

In the northeast...(I'm a terrain-based kind of a guy)

1) Sugarloaf
    2) Sugarbush
    3) Wildcat
    4) Stowe
    5) Magic
    6) Burke

Dead Last) MRG - what good is a mountain if you aren't allowed to go there?
    Altitude is Everything

Quote Originally Posted by sugarboarder
    In the northeast...(I'm a terrain-based kind of a guy)

1) Sugarloaf
    2) Sugarbush
    3) Wildcat
    4) Stowe
    5) Magic
    6) Burke

Dead Last) MRG - what good is a mountain if you aren't allowed to go there?
    A lot of good! For those of us on two boards, that is!

1) Sugarbush
    2) Stowe
    3) Jay
    4) Burke
    5) MRG
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Sugargbush is the king.. My first experience at the Bush was in 1977.. late Gadd years.... I fondly remember the old 3 man fiberglass gondola!! bring it back!!!

Oh and Mntman.. Utah is freaking insane.. went out there in 2005 for my first trip to the west.. stayed in SLC and got the superpass and skied at Alta, Snowbird and Solitude. I plan on moving out there.. real estate prices in the valley are pretty damn reasonable. I liked Alta the best.. has a MRG feel on steroids!
    To ski and to have fallen is better than to never have skiied at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SKI-SAN
    Sugargbush is the king.. My first experience at the Bush was in 1977.. late Gadd years.... I fondly remember the old 3 man fiberglass gondola!! bring it back!!!

Oh and Mntman.. Utah is freaking insane.. went out there in 2005 for my first trip to the west.. stayed in SLC and got the superpass and skied at Alta, Snowbird and Solitude. I plan on moving out there.. real estate prices in the valley are pretty damn reasonable. I liked Alta the best.. has a MRG feel on steroids!
    I just got back from Utah and the town doesn't hold a candle to SB and the MRV (no Paradise deli or Warren store). I've been skiing SB consistently (every season) for ten years, but more so th last four (since my little one turned 2). I spent some time up this past summer and, thanks to the irreplaceable knowledge from members of this board, had an unbelievable time. I love it, and my wife and kids love it. The best thing is that it appears to be getting better and better. I just hope I am lucky enough to spend more time in the MRV in the future.

We're staying in Sandy (Had to be 10 minutes closer to the mountains. It makes all the diference) and only there for a half week as I'm on my way back from a conference in San Diego. Wifey's meeting me out there and we're hitting Snowbird, Alta, Brighton and Solitude. Can't wait, but I feel that all other places on earth don't get a fair chance. I always compare them with the Bush. I'm sure I'll have a great time, but will be thinking about what snow you guys got back here and how Middle Earth and Spillsville were skiing.

expanding the horizons a bit

and perhaps its an apples to oranges comparison as many of the things that make these
    others so attractive SB will never have.

big sky
    canyons
    snowbird
    kirkwood
    alpine meadows

and of course, any list will be biased by what skill level is, what you like to ride
    and lastly the operation of the mountain.

Re: expanding the horizons a bit

Quote Originally Posted by beelze
    and perhaps its an apples to oranges comparison as many of the things that make these
    others so attractive SB will never have.

big sky
    canyons
    snowbird
    kirkwood
    alpine meadows

and of course, any list will be biased by what skill level is, what you like to ride
    and lastly the operation of the mountain.
    Thread title...
    "How Does Sugarbush Rank With You?"
    Altitude is Everything