Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Valley House: Where the traverse meets the chair

Saw yet another wipeout there Saturday. Too many people come flying down the traverse into that icy patch and wipe out into people coming off the chair.

This has probably been discussed before but, I wish there was some way to prevent this.

I make sure to use caution, go slow, and look out for other reckless people....

I don't think people are necessarily being reckless. If you are not familiar with the area it can come as quite a surprise. A nice flat cross over....then wham!...nothing but ice. I'm not sure what the answer is....maybe more caution signs from ski patrol? The one they post there doesn't seem to be very effective.

I'm pretty sure that Sugarbush intends to fix that intersection when they upgrade the chair. The best solution would be to set up a big flat exit area with access to both sides so skiers exiting the chair and heading for snowball don't have to pass under the chair. Also, I recommend that you tell people not to stand or sit in the middle of the trail there. More than once I've seen people ski up and stop right where the chair passes overhead. I've even seen snowboarders sitting there and I've had friends hurt at that intersection.
    As a snowboarder, I give you official snowboarder permission to yell at any snowboarder that you see sitting in that area.

Well all skiers/riders should remember to ski in control, but that ice can be surprising I agree. I think apart from a guy standing there with a taser it will continue to be a problem. Perhaps when they extend the lift they can have the chair exit on the other side. Anyone wanting to do Steins or Maul would have to cut back over, but perhaps it may help some. Also the people who are on the lift need to be equaly responsible. Often times people will come off the lift and pile up there checking boots, talking and getting ready forcing others to ski further out onto the trail sometimes unaware there are people coming. Maybe there needs to be a sign for those exiting to be aware of traffic coming from their left.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardbooter
    I'm pretty sure that Sugarbush intends to fix that intersection when they upgrade the chair. The best solution would be to set up a big flat exit area with access to both sides so skiers exiting the chair and heading for snowball don't have to pass under the chair. Also, I recommend that you tell people not to stand or sit in the middle of the trail there. More than once I've seen people ski up and stop right where the chair passes overhead. I've even seen snowboarders sitting there and I've had friends hurt at that intersection.
    As a snowboarder, I give you official snowboarder permission to yell at any snowboarder that you see sitting in that area.
    - Alex
    Sunday saw people flying through there. I got out of the way on the hill side and waited for the cluster____ to pass by. If anyone hit me, it would be their own fault for trying to hit off the hillside at one of the worst intersections on the mtn. If I make a pitstop on a trail, I always make sure I'm over as far as I can go - even off in the woods a bit.

A nice flat exit area would be nice, requiring some more clearing at the top of the chair so that the unload could be moved closer to the Mall side and thru traffic routed rider's right while heading down VHT into Snowball.

-Jay

It is the worst spot on the Hill. Until we move the lift (with Forest Service permission) it is very difficult to keep this in good shape all day. the grade and narrowness of the trail are the problem. We are going to till it deeply either tonight or tomorrow and with some new snow it should groom out better for at least the weekend. The key here is to ski or ride it very carefully. This is one spot where I personally slow down to a crawl before I get there.

There are a lot of problems with that intersection, and it's not just the traffic from VHT meeting the people off-loading from VH chair. That area is lousy even when VH chair is closed! The problem is that the VHT begins to gradually slope downwards towards the end, such that you are probably travelling as fast as you've been since the beginning of the trail just at the point where you round the corner and BAM! The slope gets steeper, there are people waiting around trying to figure out what to do, and you have this visual of the VH chair terminal screwing with your head/sitelines. You start to skid to slow down, and the cycle worsens b/c the man-made garbage there turns to boilerplate by 10:00 on a weekend morning.

The ultimate answer will require a few different steps and no small amount of TNT. First, that entire area needs to be expanded and re-graded. You can't go from semi-flat to downhill right at the bend in the trail. That corner also needs to be blown up so that skiers can have a visual of the area as they approach it. Then you combine these changes with a re-routed offload for the VH chair and you'll be in business. Skiers should be able to exit from both sides so that those that want to go to Snowball can take a left while those going for the Mall and Stein's can take a right. I don't think that area will ever be perfect, but those changes, along with extending VH chair down to the base (hence more people will take it directly instead of traversing from Bravo summit), will probably make it as good as it can be given the layout.

Tin? Are you Win? Your answers are getting too good!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    The ultimate answer will require a few different steps and no small amount of TNT.

Every good plan needs a lot of TNT!
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

This is one spot where I personally slow down to a crawl before I get there.
    I have noticed a pattern there, from a lot of the regulars. For a while, I have always checked over my shoulder, as I came near the caution sign. Lately, I've been following a couple others, and noticed they do the same thing. I also make some wide turns, as I come up to it, to slow those behind me.

It is definitely an area to pull it way in. Just too many skis going thru the same small amount of space.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by win
    Win Toodsman

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by win
    Win Toodsman

We have Tin to fill in for Win

And a Win Tin Tin, and a Tin Win Win, and a Win Tin, Tin Win, Win Tin Tin
    March Showers - April Powder

Heavy explosives

Please give us all plenty of notice of this--perhaps a website posting.

Another interesting phenomenon I've noticed on VHT is that of skiers, seemingly under control and well short of the lift, inexplicably losing traction and tumbling off into the trees on skiers' left. Perhaps the VHT cants a bit right to left? Very odd. It's a very exciting place indeed!