Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarboarder
    Quote Originally Posted by freeheel_skier
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarboarder
    Mid-week pow...oh yeah!!!
    AMEN! I think I will call in sick...or have some sort of IT issues!
    I can create some IT issues for anyone who requires them!!

Got the ok from my boss today to "take the day" if conditions allow. I don't know if the truck would make it to the office, but the 'Cruiser will make it the 10 miles to the Valley without a prob.

A powder day combined with a $14 lift tix - could this be heaven? As long as it starts Tues night....
    (I'd ride at Mt Ellen free on my pass if there was no discount day).

-Jay

I just read a Wx report that included the words, "extreme precipitation event." Get up here now !!

John

p.s. As a recovery day after the X-Team clinic this past weekend, Dean Decas and I went and skinned up into the Mansfield backcountry. Even without this approaching storm, the skiing has been great!

Damn, nice shots!

Can I have that upper left panorama one in a bigger size to set as the background for my desktop?
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

The storm that rapidly strengthens off the East Coast early Wednesday will create major travel delays on the road and in the air. The combination of freezing rain and increasing winds will cause downed trees and power lines near and just to the northwest of the major Northeast Cities Tuesday night and early Wednesday.

Over a foot of snow will fall from the northern Appalachians to Maine. Behind the storm it will turn bitterly cold again, so any standing water or slush will rapidly freeze.

From http://headlines.accuweather.com/new...er=0&article=2

By the way, John, how did the X-Team clinic go? (nice pics)

How this for a forecast -- 20 - 40 inches!!!

See http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index....owtopic=125635

Hope it verifies. Enjoy the Pow.

How do you set up a poll/pool? It seems like we should be taking bets on total snowfall at top of ME.

Pictures .... Where ..??

John, where were those pictures taken ... ?

Mt Mansfield, above Stowe...dunno the names of the lines though if thats what your asking.

Accuweather is calling it a blizzard

http://headlines.accuweather.com/new...er=0&article=3

I guess we should expect wind pack by Thursday.

Where? Near the summit of Mansfield, just below the Chin. We both were kicking ourselves for not bringing shovels, beacons and probes. We were getting some results from ski cuts, so we stayed to the ridge and off the more open slopes. For those in question, there are places to get flushed by a big sluff or small avy in the Sugarbush backcountry too. Be careful during this next cycle.

I am going to publish some of these photos, so I can't share big versions yet. Sorry.

Mark Breen is calling for 4-8" overnight Tuesday in the valleys. 1-2' tomorrow and tomorrow night. Another report is calling for 20-40" overall. Nobody has done a mountain forecast that I know of, so all these numbers are for the general area, with no mountain orographic enhancement. All of my trusted sources are blowing up over this storm. Even if it's only half of what they say, it'll be be huge.

If you have any chance at all of getting to the mountain, I strongly suggest making it happen. The snow isn't supposed to start until after midnite tonight, so plenty of time to get done with work and hit the road. There is nothing worse than hearing all weekend, "You should have been here Wednesday and Thursday. IT WAS SICK!"

John

Heading out tonight. Anyone want to car pool?

There is nothing worse than hearing all weekend, "You should have been here Wednesday and Thursday. IT WAS SICK!"

John[/quote]

It is for precisely for that reason I've drafted up this non-disclosure agreement with a shut the hell up clause that I'd ask everyone in here to sign, standard boiler plate material really. Just disregard the part that leaves all your earthly belongings to me in the even that you ski ever again. Really standard stuff here....

What I find most amazing about this pending storm is that all of the forcasts and models are in general agreement. How often does that happen? They all say it's gonna hit, and it's gonna hit hard. I think the most conservative report I've seen say 12-18". That's pretty exciting in my books! I'm getting out early tomorrow before the wind hits! Looks like everything should be ok until around 2:00. Then the 20-30mph winds hit with gusting possibly 60+. I wish, just once, we could have a snowstorm with the wind! Oh well... I'll take the two feet of snow and shut up!

We'll actually, I'd like hear how it goes. I definitely wont be up until the weekend but I'd like to know which way the wind has blown and what the totals are so I know where to go on Saturday. Can you guys post some photos? Us desk jockey's have to live vicariously. Maybe I should wear my beacon while I read the chat room in the next few days just so I feel that I'm participating.