Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Late April May Sking which Mountain

If you had a choice of which MT you would like to see be the last open, North or South. Which would you choice?

North has the advantage of being up high (cooler temperatures) but the ridge and especially rim run are East/South facing and often loose snow quickly. Lots of work to keep it open. Glenhouse has a fun deck to play on when it is warm out. Remember how fun it was last year. But the lower MT of North burns out so quickly and often means down loading only.

South on the other hand can offer a lot more skiing with only two lifts. Downspout faces North and Heavens Gate offer some fine skiing. (even if you have to walk up and down load because lower Downspout and or Gondolier have burned out. But also remember what ASC did. Then in May they ran only the Valley House Double and offered Steins to Coffee Run and Upper Snowball to Springfling (until Upper Snowball burned out) With the little extra snow on the shadow North facing Coffee Run, They where able to stay open till May 26th!

I will preference this question with the hope that in either case the MT stays open as long as there is snow and as long or longer then last year. Second I would hope for all of the North Only Pass Holder that when we do go to one MT that their pass is good at which ever is still open.

Greg- IF I did not get the Poll protocol correct can you please fix it and then also post the results in 14 days. Thanks

You didn't seem to post this as a poll?

Did you just want those choices? If so, I can edit it to make it a poll.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

I am asuming you can have a pole and a discusion also. That is what I would like a pole and a discussion. Please

Thanks for getting the pole up. But please take out the third choice. Until cash flow allows it can only be one or the other. Please also clean up the post. Take this one. Your responce and the note to Greg at the bottom of the original post out. Please. That way the tread looks clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskier
    Thanks for getting the pole up. But please take out the third choice. Until cash flow allows it can only be one or the other. Please also clean up the post. Take this one. Your responce and the note to Greg at the bottom of the original post out. Please. That way the tread looks clean.
    I am begging you to use some kind of spell chack.

I voted for North. Not because I like North better and would rather ski North, because I don't and I wouldn't. However, I think North is better suited for eary/late season skiing because you can easily download on the GMX and the Summit chair accesses high-elevation terrain. They can make snow on FIS and Rim Run. I didn't realize that Rim Run would be tough to keep open, but as it gets really late season (i.e., May), I'd suspect most of the people who want to ski can handle FIS.
    -Kenny

North. The snow stays better, longer!
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Quote Originally Posted by arc1
    Spell CHACK?
    Altitude is Everything

Quote Originally Posted by sugarboarder
    Quote Originally Posted by arc1
    Spell CHACK?
    LMAO!

Figured I'd come back and CHACK the POLE...I used to know a girl...awww forget it...
    Altitude is Everything

I kind of like the thought of running the VH chair, with Steins, but it seems like Spring Fling would burn out prety fast, because of its exposure. How about Reverse Traverse, to Lower Jester, as that is covered enough that it will hold up better, and added snowmaking would last longer.

ME makes the most sense, and with the top only beeing 900' of vertical elevation, that is alot less terrain to cover with additional snowmaking. Even though it is wide open, FIS seems to hold snow long after closing, and the DL situation makes alot more sense.

Spring skiing is great, I think it should be something that the Ski Industry embraces more, and even though things are going to hell for the year, is some great skiing in its own way. Just as people hate powder, people can't stand slush, but If I am out making turns, I will take that, and as long as I can ski, I will.

I am hoping that with Claybrook and the new lodge, skier days will increese enough to make it worth keeping LP open longer. It seems to me that Claybrook owners will push for this because they are right there. Its really a shame to look up there at all that snow, and seeing a chairlift sitting dormant.

We all know there is penty of hiking to be had late into the spring, long after closing. I would really like to see more of a flexible opening and closing date, and if the Mountain is Skiable, I think as long as it is profitable it should be open. And to make it profitable, I think skiing should really be marketed as a multi season sport, Fall, Winter, Spring, and sometimes Early Summer.

A comment I have heard many times while in the flat lands when I tell people I am headed to VT to ski in late march. " O, No, All the Resorts will be Closed because winter is over."

Anyway, Season totals 80", average 262" How much more is to come?

Lurkers you can vote TOO!

When I am writing this I see 377 people have viewed this post. That means 366 of you are lurkers. One of the great thing about this forum is the openess of discusion. Free Speach. But just like our government you do need to vote once and a while. So vote.

As for Spring Fling and upper Snowball burning out. The year that ASC closed South last Spring fling stayed the course (with some creative grooming) through middle May. Remember it does get a lot of snow making on it.

One other interesting note. In ASC 5 year plan they had want to build a deck at the bottom of Steins to be used for judges in races and BBQs in the spring. Would it not be fun to see the MT drag up the old Claybrook Sales Shed (now on the green in Waitsfield) and a bunch of plastic chairs, a grill and food. Then when we have beautiful spring days like last year we could have a great sun drenched spring party at the bottom of Steins. Like the beach at Killington at the bottom of Super Star.

Re: Lurkers you can vote TOO!

When I am writing this I see 377 people have viewed this post. That means 366 of you are lurkers. One of the great thing about this forum is the openess of discusion. Free Speach. But just like our government you do need to vote once and a while. So vote.
    What about the 350 times that you viewed the poll yourself?
    -Kenny

Re: Lurkers you can vote TOO!

One other interesting note. In ASC 5 year plan they had want to build a deck at the bottom of Steins to be used for judges in races and BBQs in the spring. Would it not be fun to see the MT drag up the old Claybrook Sales Shed (now on the green in Waitsfield) and a bunch of plastic chairs, a grill and food. Then when we have beautiful spring days like last year we could have a great sun drenched spring party at the bottom of Steins. Like the beach at Killington at the bottom of Super Star.
    Now THAT is a great idea!! Bravo Treeskier!
    Altitude is Everything

The Bush a while ago used to break out a grill and kegs right outside the Wunderbar by the VH chair. There was even a large aireal jump located right there and they had the Budweiser air Assault Team come out and do some tricks with music playing into the night. I can't remember if that's happened recently, but when I worked at the Wonderbar in college a long time ago we'd break that out. It was pretty fun.