Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ignorant New Gate House Questions

Unfortunately I haven't been to Sugarbush since last season, but plan to return soon. From reading other posts it sounds like the old Gate House ripped down and stashing boot bags in the cafeteria is forbidden. The Sugarbush interactive trail map doesn't show either base area buildings very clearly.

Does the new Gate House have a little room for booting up and stowing bags like the old Gate House? If it does have a boot up room where is it located?

I'm a boot up at the truck guy, but this isn't favored by the rest of the family.

Re: Ignorant New Gate House Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman
    Does the new Gate House have a little room for booting up and stowing bags like the old Gate House? If it does have a boot up room where is it located?
    Yes. Enter the main door on the lower level from the courtyard area and turn right. You can't miss it.

Wow, that's a nice looking lodge! I can't wait to use the boot up area. I don't eat or drink at ski areas, but the new cafeteria has to be an improvement.

Well done Sugarbush. The older lodge at South was cramped on most weekends and wasn't much of an architectural presence.

Also, you don't have to boot up in the bag storage room. You can take your stuff upstairs and bot up there.

They are just asking that before you step out, you store your bags in the bag storage room.

It has been a long time complaint that bags stored on, under and around the tables made it difficult for others. This is the route they chose to solve that problem. Not good for all, but nothing is.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

What are the advantages to walking up stairs to boot up and then walking down stairs to stash the bag? Seems like just booting up near the bag room and stowing the bag saves some steps and time. I'm not big on going in the ski lodge and prefer the booting at the truck in the first place and we go in side only to appease some family members who are concerned about the risks of slushy socks and cold fingers.

Sugarbush is getting better and better under the management.

Hey Talisman - are you the Talisman from SnowJournal? Anyways, check this thread out for a look at the transformation.
    http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=337

www.sugarbush.com has alot of pics of the process as well
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

What are the advantages to walking up stairs to boot up and then walking down stairs to stash the bag?
    The advantage is you can relax and grab a cup of coffee and something to eat, whike you prepare for the day.

It can also be crowded in the changing room. Again, nobody is saying you have to. They are just expressing that you have that option.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

What are the advantages to walking up stairs to boot up and then walking down stairs to stash the bag? Seems like just booting up near the bag room and stowing the bag saves some steps and time. I'm not big on going in the ski lodge and prefer the booting at the truck in the first place and we go in side only to appease some family members who are concerned about the risks of slushy socks and cold fingers.

Booting up at the car/truck? Grab some carpet samples from a carpet store, keep 'em in the vehicle, and unless it is totally slushy/wet, you can stand on them in socks in the parking lot no problem while you are changing footwear...been doing it for years!
    Altitude is Everything

Hello, Talisman. You made my day. Let me know when you are here, and I'll buy you a beer or whatever else you like to drink!

By the way, Sugarboarder is no longer a PITA in my eyes! Ride fast!

It is snowing!

Quote Originally Posted by win
    Hello, Talisman. You made my day. Let me know when you are here, and I'll buy you a beer or whatever else you like to drink!

By the way, Sugarboarder is no longer a PITA in my eyes! Ride fast!

It is snowing!
    Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

You're right, Talisman. I've heard some good things and some bad things about the new lodge, but I think it's a fantastic piece of architecture, and is a heck of an improvement over last year.

Here's to the future of the Bush!

Quote Originally Posted by sugarboarder

Booting up at the car/truck? Grab some carpet samples from a carpet store, keep 'em in the vehicle, and unless it is totally slushy/wet, you can stand on them in socks in the parking lot no problem while you are changing footwear...been doing it for years!
    I thought I was the only one who stole carpet samples to boot up in the parking lot!
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Quote Originally Posted by freeheel_skier
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarboarder

I thought I was the only one who stole carpet samples to boot up in the parking lot!
    I think you might be......
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Carpet samples and welcome mat, I have used both for years too. Picked up on this skiing out west where I think more households boot up at the car and bring minimal or no gear into the base lodge (in my experience). I may be wrong, but its seems like setting up camp in the base lodge is more of an eastern phenomenon.

If you're not a family of young children or simply someone who doesn't ski (both are good exceptions) than I think learning to not haul a ski bag to the lodge is indeed manageable and in the end more enjoyable than doing so. Its just my opinion, but since I switched over (learned to leave the ski bag in the car) years ago I ski more comfortably knowing i) I don't have a bag of goodies for someone to pilfer or walk off with and ii) my bag isn't adding to the over crowded base lodge experience.

Lift ticket: $66.00

Bag check: $5.00

Knowing the bag will be there after a day of skiing: priceless

Quote Originally Posted by freeheel_skier
    Who said stole???
    Altitude is Everything